The Snyder Cut is real...and it's SPECTACULAR!

TwinIon

19 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Huh? You basically pay the same price you would for HBO on its own, but you get more content. Not sure what the back end looks like financially, but it seems like a no brainer to subscribe. 

I don't know how much you're paying for HBO but I'm not paying 15 bucks a month for it. Out of all of the streaming services HBO/MAX will be the most expensive and right now it has very little new content to justify subscribing if you're already an HBO subscriber. There will be new stuff sure, but take a look at the launch line up and tell me what's a must watch right now. I'm not even sure why it's called HBO/MAX since Cinemax' programming won't be included. I don't really care because it won't cost me anything to try it... as a Charter cable customer I'll be getting it for free. :dancing:

But no, there's not a lot of new programming right now to justify getting it in my opinion.

I have to admit, I'm morbidly curious. The director's cut of Batman v Superman didn't save the film or make it actively good, but it was immeasurably better than the theatrical version. And Snyder's director's cuts tend to be improvements, from Dawn of the Dead to Watchmen to even Sucker Punch.

I enjoyed Justice League well enough, though it wasn't anything close to the superhero classic something like the Justice League deserves. It was mostly okay/good enough. I don't see Snyder's version being better given the parts I liked the most were what seemed to me to be the Joss Whedon parts, but this could be similarly strange, though not as good as, the situation with Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, in that it's interesting it exists.

• Like 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

If by improvement you mean "more eye candy" sure... I'll check it out but I don't expect it to be much better than what we saw. It will more than. likely be objectively WORSE. 

I edited my earlier post to elaborate - I also don't think it will be good nor better either, ultimately. I'm a Man of Steel apologist, but Batman v Superman was mostly awful. 

• Thanks 1

It is pretty rare for a directors cut to make a huge difference in a movie.  I kinda expect this to still not be great - but maybe it will be not great in a different way so I will probably check it out.

What are the most improved movies ever after being re-cut?  Kingdom of Heaven comes to mind right away.  There are people on both sides for Blade Runner.  Apocalypse now has so many cuts it's hard to keep track - so I'm not sure if one is better than another.  What else?

I think there's a big difference between thinking that back in 2017, and 2018 WB had Zack Snyder's completed cut just sitting on a shelf somewhere, and now they're actually allowing him to put to together and finish his version of the movie. The whole #ReleaseTheSnyderCut thing was stupid, and is still stupid. The Snyder Cut never existed. It only exists now because people wouldn't shut up about it, and WB figured, fuck it, what do we have to lose, might as well. 

I guess I am morbidly curious to see how it turns out, even though I never even saw the theatrical cut. I'll laugh hysterically if it turns out to be even worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't know how much you're paying for HBO but I'm not paying 15 bucks a month for it. Out of all of the streaming services HBO/MAX will be the most expensive and right now it has very little new content to justify subscribing if you're already an HBO subscriber. There will be new stuff sure, but take a look at the launch line up and tell me what's a must watch right now. I'm not even sure why it's called HBO/MAX since Cinemax' programming won't be included. I don't really care because it won't cost me anything to try it... as a Charter cable customer I'll be getting it for free. :dancing:

But no, there's not a lot of new programming right now to justify getting it in my opinion.

Studio Ghibli, motherfucker. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I edited my earlier post to elaborate - I also don't think it will be good nor better either, ultimately. I'm a Man of Steel apologist, but Batman v Superman was mostly awful. 

Yeah I actually like Man of Steel as well except for the whole Superman being an indifferent douche part. Snyder just doesn't get superheroes outside of the "bam! pow! zap!" aspect. He doesn't understand that Watchmen and Dark Knight returns were subversions of the super hero trope. Not the characters in their authentic, best selves. And the DC characters are superheroes in their most idealized forms. He was a bad fit for this.

20 minutes ago, number305 said:

It is pretty rare for a directors cut to make a huge difference in a movie.  I kinda expect this to still not be great - but maybe it will be not great in a different way so I will probably check it out.

What are the most improved movies ever after being re-cut?  Kingdom of Heaven comes to mind right away.  There are people on both sides for Blade Runner.  Apocalypse now has so many cuts it's hard to keep track - so I'm not sure if one is better than another.  What else?

The Affleck Daredevil director's cut movie was pretty improved from the theatrical.

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Studio Ghibli, motherfucker. 

Ummm... okay?

• Thanks 2

.. just dropping by to again profess my appreciation for Man of Steel

I also agree that the Snyder cut isnt salvation... it might eliminate the juvenile humor but the characterization of batman wont be salvaged..

A director like Snyder seems to work better with “extreme” interpretations of heroes.. i posit that he would be a good director for the Flashpoint JL movie but not the regular “traditional” interpretation of the team

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Counterpoint... Man of Steel is beautiful garbage... a tale told by an idiot, sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I reserve those for Transformer films...

its amazing how much beautiful chaos there is in the last 30 mins of transformers 3 yet it feels sooo empty..

the bad of Man of Steel is bad... but there is also soo much of it that I enjoy

I've always been curious to see Snyder's vision but like was said above, he believes every super hero should be interpreted like Watchmen or DKR and he just doesn't get it. I won't seek this out or pay extra to see but if happen to catch it, so be it.

And if it's good, I'll be the first to admit it to Snyder defenders.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:50 PM, number305 said:

Brazil, although I don’t believe the studio cut ever made it to theaters.

Honestly, this whole thing sucks.  All anyone is doing these days is caving in to the loudest and shittiest people all for no one’s benefit.  Harass people endlessly and give them shit forever and eventually you’ll get what you want is a terrible message to send, yet here we are.

7 hours ago, number305 said:

So apparently this may either be a massive 4 hour movie - or split up into a miniseries.  

I'm gonna change my vote.  If this is 4 hours of terrible I will not watch it out of curiosity.  My curiosity has its limits.  

Buddy of mine texted me about the 4 hour thing and I thought he was exaggerating... Jesus this is gonna be awful. Well at least I don't have to pay extra to see this. I will GLADLY eat my words if this is good... but FOUR FUCKING HOURS? :lol: 

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/movieweb.com/amp/zack-snyder-cut-justice-league-cast-crew-returning/

I didn't realize they will be filming more scenes for the movie so this might be interesting?

I was just talking to a buddy about this... that they might as well shoot more scenes and consider it a "do-over".