The Snyder Cut is real...and it's SPECTACULAR!

TwinIon

So, Zack Snyder posted a photo of reels of film labeled as JL Directors Cut...

The running time is listed there at 214 minutes, a full hour and a half longer than the theatrical cut.

So yeah, don't expect random fanboys to stop brigading random WB threads asking for the Synder Cut anytime soon.

37 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm sure it saves the movie and makes it really good. :p 

Honestly after Kingdom of Heaven I believe anything is possible. The theatrical cut was so bad it made me physically angry. The DC is arguably the greatest epic of all time. Lol I can’t count anything out now. 

The Snyder’s DP for Justice League said recently that the theatrical cut is only about 10% material he and Snyder shot, so the reshoots were essentially a second round of principal photography on a completely different movie.

Wild.

19 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Honestly after Kingdom of Heaven I believe anything is possible. The theatrical cut was so bad it made me physically angry. The DC is arguably the greatest epic of all time. Lol I can’t count anything out now. 

Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut IS amazing, no doubt, and I love director's cuts/uncut films, but if there was good stuff in there surely Joss Whedon would have used it? It's not like Whedon's an incompetent filmmaker. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The Snyder’s DP for Justice League said recently that the theatrical cut is only about 10% material he and Snyder shot, so the reshoots were essentially a second round of principal photography on a completely different movie.

Wild.

If true, that IS wild. Didn't Whedon say plenty of stuff was Snyder's though?

I actually am a Zack Snyder fan, so I would love to see it, but I somehow doubt it'll make the movie amazing or something.

Honestly it must REALLY suck if WB doesn't release it... I mean if they put it out, they could arguably reinvigorate their DCEU franchise. Henry Cavill is saying he's not done with Superman and since Justice League, they've had some hits. Aquaman did well... Joker did Well. I didn't see Shazam so I have no idea how that did. i'm curious to see it too and I suspect we will at some point. I honestly don't see why they won't just put it out.

On another note, do we know what Snyder's next project is?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly it must REALLY suck if WB doesn't release it... I mean if they put it out, they could arguably reinvigorate their DCEU franchise. Henry Cavill is saying he's not done with Superman and since Justice League, they've had some hits. Aquaman did well... Joker did Well. I didn't see Shazam so I have no idea how that did. i'm curious to see it too and I suspect we will at some point. I honestly don't see why they won't just put it out.

Shazam was loads of fun.

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Army of the Dead which is releasing next year.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly it must REALLY suck if WB doesn't release it... I mean if they put it out, they could arguably reinvigorate their DCEU franchise.

The people running Warners and the DC Film business have moved on from what the DCEU once was to be. I can imagine releasing the Snyder cut feeling like regressing back to the low point in recent DC franchise history.

It’s probably also not very good :p 

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I actually enjoyed Shazam more than Aquaman. Aquaman was just too drawn out IMO. On the plus side … redheaded Amber Heard <3

It was the opposite for me: Aquaman felt like it kept moving and was well paced, whereas Shazam bogged down to a crawl in parts.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

The people running Warners and the DC Film business have moved on from what the DCEU once was to be. I can imagine releasing the Snyder cut feeling like regressing back to the low point in recent DC franchise history.

It’s probably also not very good :p 

They haven't moved COMPLETELY on from it... they still have this psuedo-cinematic universe they are still kinda building? Black Adam and Shazam will connect in someway, There's still the Aquaman and Wonder Woman sequels. So while they may not be trying to ape Marvel specifically anymore, I don't know if we've seen the last of the DCEU.

That said, I can't see them not wanting to release this cut if there's a demand unless it is REALLY bad. OR, they have internal numbers that say the demand is overstated and just not worth it. They like money as much as any other studio. 

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They haven't moved COMPLETELY on from it... they still have this psuedo-cinematic universe they are still kinda building? Black Adam and Shazam will connect in someway, There's still the Aquaman and Wonder Woman sequels. So while they may not be trying to ape Marvel specifically anymore, I don't know if we've seen the last of the DCEU.

Exactly, they completely changed gears as to their approach, specifically that they ditched the framework that Snyder was building which was intended to go the MCU route. The focus now is just making good solo movies. I’m sure if they think they have a good team up idea, whether all the heroes or smaller crossovers, they will do so in the future. 

Aquaman wasn't a very good movie - my wife and I thought it was just "okay". We were more invested in Nicole Kidman and Temuera Morrison's relationship than the main one between Aquaman and Amber Heard. 

It also had way too much CG, too much action, moved way too fast, yet still felt overlong, and hardly had any room to breathe. A lot of skill on display but I wasn't really emotionally invested in the film. Wonder Woman was better but even that movie I've only seen the once and haven't revisited since theaters. Again, I wasn't that emotionally invested in it either. To be fair even with MCU films it's rare for me to be that emotionally invested - so maybe it's a bigger statement on the emotional investment one can even get from superhero films the way most are being made today  (CGI blitzkrieg fests, an assault on the senses; I've felt more from Harvey Dent's silent scream in the hospital in TDK or many moments in Logan than I have in a lot of superhero films, so it can be done - Captain America: Winter Soldier certainly did a good job of it).

My understanding of JL is that Snyder shot a lot of it, left the project, and Whedon came in and re-wrote much of it and finished shooting. If that's the case, then it seems likely that some of what Snyder intended to shoot was never shot, so it's hard to imagine getting a completely Snyder version of the film. It would have to be some assembly of what each of them shot.

I like Snyder well enough (Watchmen is great), but I don't really trust his story instincts. If Whedon thought that much of it was unusable, I'd guess he was right.

Now something I can easily imagine is that there were some very Snyder-esque action sequences filmed that did hit the can, and if they put those back in a lot of DC faithful would probably be happy enough, regardless of how much of a mess the story remains.

37 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My understanding of JL is that Snyder shot a lot of it, left the project, and Whedon came in and re-wrote much of it and finished shooting. If that's the case, then it seems likely that some of what Snyder intended to shoot was never shot, so it's hard to imagine getting a completely Snyder version of the film. It would have to be some assembly of what each of them shot.

Snyder completed principal photography on the film.

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I like Snyder well enough (Watchmen is great), but I don't really trust his story instincts. If Whedon thought that much of it was unusable, I'd guess he was right.

Now something I can easily imagine is that there were some very Snyder-esque action sequences filmed that did hit the can, and if they put those back in a lot of DC faithful would probably be happy enough, regardless of how much of a mess the story remains.

I think it'd be similar to the Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut situation. In that case, while it's still not a great film, it is better than the Superman II that was originally released.

I would watch most of this on Netflix for a laugh. Wait...HBO Max is the right one there. Yeah, I'd watch this on HBO Max. I was going to subscribe as soon as they snatched all the Studio Ghibli content, anyway. It can't possibly be worse than watching the DNA episode of Story Bots for the five millionth time with my kids...no, it'll probably still be worse.

• Haha 1

I agree that I was expecting the movie to be a complete worthless mess. Amazingly I came out not minding the mess we received on screen. It had some moments I loved like The Flash trying to outrun/maneuver Superman after being resurrected from the dead. Only to see him see, well, see him moving at said speed with ease. It was also a bit lighter in tone to that of the Justice League cartoon series. Plus hearing Elfman bring out the classic Batman theme and the forgotten Flash tv series theme (which he also wrote) to screen. Brought a small smile/warm and fuzzies to this guy here

13 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Let's all be fair to Justice League though - it wasn't that bad, and it was certainly a damn sight better than Batman v Superman at least. I'd rank Justice League above at least some MCU films.

I’d rank it equal to or slightly above Thor the Dark World because I have not yet been able to get through either movie without falling asleep.

22 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Was Danny Elfman brought on after Snyder left? Because it would be interesting if this had a completely different score.

Looks like he was. Junkie XL (who did the awesome Mad Max: Fury Road soundtrack)had completed or almost completed his version of the score. Whedon scrapped it and brought Elfman in instead So I wouldn’t mind hearing his score if we get the Snyder Cut released