The Snyder Cut is real...and it's SPECTACULAR!

TwinIon

It doesn't matter whether Batman v Superman made enough money or not. WB saw it as a failure regardless (whether it actually was one or not), both clearly critically (and underperforming, for their expectations, commercially) and they got involved heavily with Justice League's production as a result since it was Snyder behind the helm again. The rest is moot to debate.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It doesn't matter whether Batman v Superman made enough money or not. WB saw it as a failure regardless (whether it actually was one or not), both clearly critically (and underperforming, for their expectations, commercially) and they got involved heavily with Justice League's production as a result since it was Snyder behind the helm again. The rest is moot to debate.

You saying it over and over again won't make it true... but by all means continue. Was Man of Steel a flop too?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You saying it over and over again won't make it true... but by all means continue. Was Man of Steel a flop too?

I didn't say it was a flop. I said WB perceived Batman v Superman as a failure. It's right there on its Wikipedia page, and I remember lots of talk at the time that it was too late to right the ship for Justice League since it had just begun production at BvS's theatrical release. This isn't crazy news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_(film)#Post-production

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I didn't say it was a flop. I said WB perceived Batman v Superman as a failure. It's right there on its Wikipedia page, and I remember lots of talk at the time that it was too late to right the ship for Justice League since it had just begun production at BvS's theatrical release. This isn't crazy news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_(film)#Post-production

What does what you just linked prove? It even DIRECTLY contradicts your assertion that Snyder was fired... I don't even know what you guys are arguing here. We're literally getting a Snyder cut because DC fans demanded one. So you're saying that a studio is investing money in a director who not only fucked up one, but TWO tentpole movies and derailed their plans for a cinematic universe to rival Marvel's. A director who left a film not because of HUGE personal tragedy but because he was actually fired? Snyder fucked up as badly as you are making it sound... WHY ARE WE GETTING A SNYDER CUT??? I'm seriously trying to follow the logic you guys are exhibiting.  

I can give you answer

Spoiler

Because despite what all of the armchair analysts on the internet think, Snyder makes the studio MONEY.  He did with his previous films for them and he will with this one, regardless of whether its good or not. And THAT'S all they care about at the end of the day.

Lol I don't even LIKE Snyder or any of his movies post 300  (Man of Steel was ok... just not a very good portrayal of Superman)

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What does what you just linked prove? It even DIRECTLY contradicts your assertion that Snyder was fired... I don't even know what you guys are arguing here. We're literally getting a Snyder cut because DC fans demanded one. So you're saying that a studio is investing money in a director who not only fucked up one, but TWO tentpole movies and derailed their plans for a cinematic universe to rival Marvel's. A director who left a film not because of HUGE personal tragedy but because he was actually fired? Snyder fucked up as badly as you are making it sound... WHY ARE WE GETTING A SNYDER CUT??? I'm seriously trying to follow the logic you guys are exhibiting.  

I can give you answer

Reveal hidden contents

Lol I don't even LIKE Snyder or any of his movies post 300  (Man of Steel was ok... just not a very good portrayal of Superman)

The link proves that it's in dispute, which is all I was ever saying from the start - that him leaving production was a possible cover. Believe it or not, but it makes a lot of sense to me at least. I think WB execs expected the movie to do Avengers money and at least break $1 billion worldwide theatrically. We're getting a Snyder cut for a lot of different reasons, but it's not because Man of Steel and Batman v Superman were critically lauded and made more than their franchises should expect to make. It's for other reasons.

:shrug:

52 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They lie about profits with shady Hollywood accounting... not the budgets. If anything they often INFLATE the budgets in order to maximize their losses and to cheat profit participants out of monies they're owed. The don't UNDER REPORT budgets because that serves them absolutely NO PURPOSE financially. You have that wrong bud.

There is also a ton of shenanigans with how they charge their own business units for work at...questionable rates, effectively paying themselves for the work and double counting all sorts of non-sense. There is a reason budgets have ballooned as the industry has consolidated and become more vertically integrated. It’s all smoke and mirrors.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

The link proves that it's in dispute, which is all I was ever saying from the start - that him leaving production was a cover. Believe it or not, but it makes a lot of sense to me at least. I think WB execs expected the movie to do Avengers money and at least break $1 billion worldwide theatrically.

:shrug:

There's a difference between "making a less money than hoped for, but still turning a profit" and "Colossal  failure" 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There is also a ton of shenanigans with how they charge their own business units for work at...questionable rates, effectively paying themselves for the work and double counting all sorts of non-sense. There is a reason budgets have ballooned as the industry has consolidated and become more vertically integrated. It’s all smoke and mirrors.

That's my point.

I think it’s more apt to say BvS was a strategic failure given the gossip about what Warners wanted out of the DCEU. Poor leadership then caused a crisis of confidence in what they were doing. They seem to finally have gone back to what has made them a strong company by giving talented people money to make movies with their IP, without any primary concern for shared universes. They are leaving Marvel to do the Marvel thing and they will go their own way, which they should have done from day one.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's a difference between "making a less money than hoped for, but still turning a profit" and "Colossal  failure" 

Okay, that's really not how BvS is generally perceived, but okay. I think WB expected a good bit more, both critically and commercially, but technically yes, you are correct. A bit pedantic, I'd say, since most people do indeed view BvS as a colossal failure in a critical sense, and a failure in terms of not meeting projections, in a commercial sense.

53 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it’s more apt to say BvS was a strategic failure given the gossip about what Warners wanted out of the DCEU. Poor leadership then caused a crisis of confidence in what they were doing. They seem to finally have gone back to what has made them a strong company by giving talented people money to make movies with their IP, without any primary concern for shared universes. They are leaving Marvel to do the Marvel thing and they will go their own way, which they should have done from day one.

I think the strategic failure came in trying to retool their movies to fit into the Marvel formula... first with Suicide Squad, then with Justice League (Not sure if Wonder Woman was tinkered with) Like you said, once they got back to just letting filmmakers make their films (they were regarded as the most filmmaker friendly studio in Hollywood) they started to see more success critically and commercially with their subsequent films (Aquaman, Shazam and Joker... no idea how Birds of Prey fared) 

BvS served it's purpose and set up the DCU as a bigger universe thatn just that movie. Justice League derailed that not because of BvS but because it was aTERRIBLE movie. I think the succcesses of Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Shazam may have ressurected the idea of a DCU on the big screen and they MIGHT be treating the Snyder cut as a do-over.  If its recieved better than the theatrical cut, they'll just pretend like the theatrical cut didn't happen:p

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Okay, that's really not how BvS is generally perceived, but okay. I think WB expected a good bit more, both critically and commercially, but technically yes, you are correct. A bit pedantic, I'd say, since most people do indeed view BvS as a colossal failure in a critical sense, and a failure in terms of not meeting projections, in a commercial sense.

"Most people?" On the internet? Maybe... I can tell you that as long as the dollars add up, the execs at Warner's don't give a shit. "Most People" on the internet think Bay's transformers movies are complete garbage... studio execs don't give a flying fuck as long as they make money.

Is Justice League conisdered a flop? YUP. In every sense of the word. BvS? Nah. Not anymore than Man of Steel... another movie the internet thinks tanked.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

"Most people?" On the internet? Maybe... I can tell you that as long as the dollars add up, the execs at Warner's don't give a shit. "Most People" on the internet think Bay's transformers movies are complete garbage... studio execs don't give a flying fuck as long as they make money.

Is Justice League conisdered a flop? YUP. In every sense of the word. BvS? Nah. Not anymore than Man of Steel... another movie the internet thinks tanked.

WB execs and the world at large don't think BvS is a flop. I never said the word flop. I said it underperformed (which it did), which WB perceived as a failure, not a flop. You're being pedantic. to say: "it underperformed but wasn't a colossal failure". Okay, as I said, splitting hairs on verbiage. Point is it was a bad movie, a massive, colossal failure critically, and it underperformed commercially according to WB's projections as I recall at the time, and thus was considered not a flop but a failure by WB, hence their close oversight of Snyder on Justice League, which is clearly apparent was the case. 

WB execs and the world at large don't think BvS is a flop. I never said the word flop. I said it underperformed, which WB perceived as a failure, not a flop. You're being pedantic. 

Ok do you have direct quotes saying this? Because at the time i KNEW guys who worked for one of the production companies that produced Man of Steel and BvS and whenever I would bring up how badly both films were being recieved on the internet they would counter with exactly what I'm saying here. I PROMISE YOU the execs at Warners only consider that movie a failure in your head. Justice League? Sure. BvS? Nah. But okay... believe what you want.

hence their close oversight of Snyder on Justice League, which is clearly apparent was the case. 

and here we are getting a Snyder Cut of the film THEY MEDDLED on and improved into a failure

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ok do you have direct quotes saying this? Because at the time i KNEW guys who worked for one of the production companies that produced Man of Steel and BvS and whenever I would bring up how badly both films were being recieved on the internet they would counter with exactly what I'm saying here. I PROMISE YOU the execs at Warners only consider that movie a failure in your head. Justice League? Sure. BvS? Nah. But okay... believe what you want.

Direct quotes? I mean, this was the news over the months and years as both BvS and then Justice League came out. This was the chatter, and this is how I remembered it. I don't care enough to go back and find links from years ago about WB's disappointment with this or that to prove anything to you, since I've never seen you admit you're wrong once you are entrenched with your position, and your poor writing skills continue to make it difficult to suss out your meaning in posts as well as your standoff-ish tone with your random ellipses and caps.

Believe what you want, I don't really care enough to prove my point further, as I thought what I was saying was generally understood to be true. @TwinIon thinking the same things I do (to a degree) bears this out. I have better things to do than get into yet another pedantic fight with you about something you are convinced you already know, it's not worth the time it would take even if I did succeed in convincing you. So let's just agree to disagree, and I can move on with my life then.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Direct quotes? I mean, this was the news over the months and years as both BvS and then Justice League came out. This was the chatter, and this is how I remembered it. I don't care enough to go back and find links from years ago about WB's disappointment with this or that to prove anything to you, since I've never seen you admit you're wrong once you are entrenched with your position, and your poor writing skills continue to make it difficult to suss out your meaning in posts as well as your standoff-ish tone with your random ellipses and caps.

Believe what you want, I don't really care enough to prove my point further, as I thought what I was saying was generally understood to be true. @TwinIon thinking the same things I do (to a degree) bears this out. I have better things to do than get into yet another pedantic fight with you about something you are convinced you already know, it's not worth the time it would take even if I did succeed in convincing you. So let's just agree to disagree, and I can move on with my life then.

Then we are agreed... carry on.

I mean... I had assumed it was a known thing that studios were disappointed in the commercial performance of stuff like Batman vs Superman and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 despite bringing in big numbers?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-v-superman-fallout-warner-895174

The muted reception of BvS, from a box-office and critical point of view, is the flashpoint for the changes.

I wouldn’t pretend to know what’s actually going on in any studio (what the fuck do I know about anything) but the notion that BvS was a commercial disappointment compared to studio expectations certainly isn’t made up by fans, there’s a lot written about that from places that, afaik, aren’t just speculation. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t remember hardly anything about the theatrical cut, but apparently it opens with a cover of the Leonard Cohen song which makes the choice of the original for this trailer kinda hilarious. I’m guessing Warner wasn’t too happy with working with Whedon either to encourage such trollery.

Speaking of Whedon...

Deadline has confirmed that WarnerMedia has had an ongoing investigation being conducted on the Justice League production ever since Cyborg star Ray Fisher tweeted back on July 1 about director Joss Whedon’s “gross, abusive” conduct on set. By no means was the investigation recently launched, I understand, despite Fisher’s recent tweets today which we expound on below.

“Joss Whedon’s on-set treatment of the cast and crew of Justice League was gross, abusive, unprofessional and completely unacceptable. He was enabled, in many ways, by Geoff Johns and Jon Berg. Accountability>Entertainment,” Fisher tweeted back in July. This was alarming news considering Fisher’s thumbs up about Whedon at 2017 Comic-Con. The actor tweeted out that video footage of himself saying “I’d like to take a moment and forcefully retract every bit of this statement.”

A source with knowledge at the studio tells us that no findings have been made yet, and to preserve the integrity of the investigation, the company will not conduct its investigation in the public sphere. There’s no specific timeline to the investigation, other than being thorough and efficient. WarnerMedia has not pre-judged Joss Whedon or Justice League producers Geoff Johns, or Jon Berg, and I hear that the inquiry is not limited to them.

Today, Fisher tweeted, “After 5 weeks of interviews with various cast/crew, @WarnerMedia as officially launched an independent third-party investigation to get to the heart of the toxic and abusive work environment created during Justice League reshoots. This is a MASSIVE step forward!”

He continued, “I believe this investigation will show that Geoff Johns, Joss Whedon, Jon Berg (and others) grossly abused their power during the uncertainty of AT&T’s merger with Time Warner.”

Just now, silentbob said:

Yeah I said that in my original post. After watching the trailer, they better get that first hour right or people won’t want to see the rest of it

I think people will stick with it... I just think WB is gonna milk this thing since the fanboys demanded it. I wonder if the pandemic hadn't hit if they would have released this in theaters :hmm: