The Snyder Cut is real...and it's SPECTACULAR!

TwinIon

54 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

As I've said several times... he's stuck in that zeitgeist. He's realzing ideas on screen that he's had in his head since his teens and early adulthood with no introspection. It's hilarious really because he's a man in his 40's, 50's? His work shows ZERO emotional maturity or sophistication outside of some cool shots and camera tricks. I don't think his work is all that interesting at all to be honest because the novelty of his razzle dazzle style wore off when tech caught up to him and pretty much ANY filmmaker can do a lot of the same stuff. Shit, he stole his whole aesthetic from 90's anime and videogames anyway.

I was a teen in the days of pouches, sharp edges, and capes that went on for days. I don't at all understand how a dude his age got so caught up in that aesthetic that he's made it his defining look thirty years later. He's around McFarlane's age, so maybe the terrible cars of the 80s had a lasting and horrifying effect on these people's tastes.

I'm making up this theory now, there has to be a direct line from posters of the Lamborghini Countach adorning young boys walls to Punisher 2099. Maybe we should be blaming the dudes over at Burtone and not Liefeld.

27 minutes ago, Brick said:

He'd probably be able to make a decent Dragon Ball Z movie. The final act of Man of Steel might as well have been Goku fighting Vageta. 

Yes, but Goku is WAY too saccharine for Snyder. I say give him Yu Yu Hakusho. Nobodies doing anything with it these days anyway. His Kurama would be majestic.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

He'd probably be able to make a decent Dragon Ball Z movie. The final act of Man of Steel might as well have been Goku fighting Vageta. 

Again the tech was just there for him to do that decently... The Wachowskis pitched a DBZ style Superman movie not long after The Matrix. All of these guys were influenced by the same sources.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

As I've said several times... he's stuck in that zeitgeist. He's realzing ideas on screen that he's had in his head since his teens and early adulthood with no introspection. It's hilarious really because he's a man in his 40's, 50's? His work shows ZERO emotional maturity or sophistication outside of some cool shots and camera tricks. I don't think his work is all that interesting at all to be honest because the novelty of his razzle dazzle style wore off when tech caught up to him and pretty much ANY filmmaker can do a lot of the same stuff. Shit, he stole his whole aesthetic from 90's anime and videogames anyway.

I mostly agree with you except sometimes I think style is substance, or enough to carry a movie that may not have a lot of sophistication. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mostly agree with you except sometimes I think style is substance, or enough to carry a movie that may not have a lot of sophistication. 

I don't disagree... his style just isn't that substantive enough for me because I pretty much know where he's pulling his aesthetic from and it isn't terribly original or interesting. I don't see a lot of originality in his "Style".

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't disagree... his style just isn't that substantive enough for me because I pretty much know where he's pulling his aesthetic from and it isn't terribly original or interesting. I don't see a lot of originality in his "Style".

That's fair - I like his style a lot, borrowed or not but I definitely understand not being impressed by it, etc.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

That's fair - I like his style a lot, borrowed or not but I definitely understand not being impressed by it, etc.

I was just talking about him with a buddy of mine... Snyder is like the Rob Liefield of filmmaking. His work is impressive the first couple of times you see it (Dawn of the Dead Remake, 300) but the seams show the more you watch subsequent work. He's okay, but his pretty much peaked as a filmmaker in my opinion.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I was just talking about him with a buddy of mine... Snyder is like the Rob Liefield of filmmaking. His work is impressive the first couple of times you see it (Dawn of the Dead Remake, 300) but the seams show the more you watch subsequent work. He's okay, but his pretty much peaked as a filmmaker in my opinion.

I think he's definitely peaked - though Justice League and Army of the Dead this year will tell us a lot if he's evolved since he took his break and lost his daughter (sadly). I also think he needs to do/try other genres, like a straight drama or rom com or something. That could be interesting.

Did anybody read this Vanity Fair article about Snyder and the making if the Justice League? This guy REALLY didn't get these characters...

VF1321_Snyder_TOUT.jpg
WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

A demoralizing battle with Warner Bros. A devastating personal tragedy. A fan base he couldn’t control. Zack Snyder tells V.F. why he quit ‘Justice League,’ and why he’s returned to complete a cut that’s reached near-mythical status.

Warner Bros. did nix some of his more sweeping notions for Justice League, like adding a romance between Ben Affleck’s Bruce Wayne and Amy Adams’s Lois Lane, who was mourning Superman’s death in the previous film. “The intention was that Bruce fell in love with Lois and then realized that the only way to save the world was to bring Superman back to life,” says Snyder. “So he had this insane conflict, because Lois, of course, was still in love with Superman. We had this beautiful speech where [Bruce] said to Alfred: ‘I never had a life outside the cave. I never imagined a world for me beyond this. But this woman makes me think that if I can get this group of gods together, then my job is done. I can quit. I can stop.’ And of course that doesn’t work out for him.”

Like wtf?!

EDIT: Finished reading the article... now I feel like shit because he seems like a decent guy. We also now know why he uses Hallellujah so much.

49 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

TFW The CW does Superman’s origin better in minutes than Snyder did in a whole fucking movie.

Bad CW superhero stuff is really bad but the fact that they just let the shows do whatever because their profitability target is so low works out for them more than it doesn't tbh.

Like try to imagine literally anyone else greenlighting Legends of Tomorrow just going all-in on being a dumb comic book show back in 2017.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Bad CW superhero stuff is really bad but the fact that they just let the shows do whatever because their profitability target is so low works out for them more than it doesn't tbh.

I only watch Legends and Flash, but I agree with this take.

Similar to my post in the WandaVision thread, I think Flash especially could stand to have... 33% fewer episodes per year and the show overall would be something pretty special.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

TFW The CW does Superman’s origin better in minutes than Snyder did in a whole fucking movie.

The "thanks my mom made it for me line" is so perfectly dorky, humble, honest, and perfectly encapsulates how genuine Superman is as not only a hero, but as a good person all around that is supposed to be a shining beacon of hope that we should all aspire to be more like, instead of being down, depressed, and cynical all the time. I love it. 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And those people who are butthurt about 4:3 can watch it stretched on their 16:9 TVs if they so choose.

Presenting material in 4:3 that was shot 16:9 means either that you're cropping stuff out of the framw or there will be pan and scan which looks awful. It's a baffling decision to be honest. Stretching 4:3 material out to 16:9 is not the solution.

27 minutes ago, Brick said:

It'd be fine if it was shot in 4:3, and they're just uncropping it from 16:9, but one of the biggest lessons I learned the hard way in film school is to not crop the film if you didn't intend and shoot it for that aspect ratio. That mistake still bugs me. 

I shot a film in Anamorphic 16:9 once and when it was time to show it on tape, I just letter boxed it and kept it that way. I'm fairly certain they never intended for this film to be shown in 4:3 so I'm curious as to how this will look. NO IDEA why he's doing this... it's a head scratcher.

My understanding is Snyder shot the film intentionally this way, he always wanted all of Justice League to be shown in IMAX, whose aspect ratio is 1.43:1, which, yes, is full frame, but he's not just cropping the image and doing pan and scan, this was apparently the plan. The version being released will be in 1.37:1, which shows the intended information that Snyder wants you to see - the widescreen version we got in theaters (the Whedon version) is actually the version missing information and is technically "cropped" as I understand it. People are just used to widescreen and full frame being the version usually cutting significant information out (which is the case 99% of the time). The reason he began all of this is, like Nolan, he fell in love with his IMAX footage that he had shot for Batman v Superman so he went all out, doubling down on the full frame aspect ratios for Justice League (1.43:1 and 1.37:1).

Ben-Affleck-batman-darkseid-Snyder-cut-j
SCREENRANT.COM

The 1.37:1 aspect ratio is taller than most films

Whedon-Dark.jpg
SCREENRANT.COM

Release the Snyder ratio!

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

My understanding is Snyder shot the film intentionally this way, he always wanted all of Justice League to be shown in IMAX, whose aspect ratio is 1.43:1, which, yes, is full frame, but he's not just cropping the image and doing pan and scan, this was apparently the plan.

SCREENRANT.COM

Well if he shot the film with that aspect ratio in mind and framed the action that way, then it's no problem. Nothing significant should be cut off or lost. We'll just have to deal with the black bar "pillars" on either side of the screen while watching the movie.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

My understanding is Snyder shot the film intentionally this way, he always wanted all of Justice League to be shown in IMAX, whose aspect ratio is 1.43:1, which, yes, is full frame, but he's not just cropping the image and doing pan and scan, this was apparently the plan.

SCREENRANT.COM

So what you're saying is that Snyder is a bizarro Tarantino, complete with bad taste and probably has a hand fetish? Sure, why not.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well if he shot the film with that aspect ratio in mind and framed the action that way, then it's no problem. Nothing significant should be cut off or lost. We'll just have to deal with the black bar "pillars" on either side of the screen while watching the movie.

Yep, that's my understanding at least. That the aspect ratio we are getting is showing information in the frame Snyder wants you to see, and shot it that way when he was shooting, etc. Weird, but yep, we'll just deal with those black pillar bars. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

So what you're saying is that Snyder is a bizarro Tarantino, complete with bad taste and probably has a hand fetish? Sure, why not.

He wants to do a black and white version too. Snyder considers himself an "artist" even if most here don't. :p  Unless a film is shot in black and white, I don't prefer it, though the process is different from movie to movie. I prefer the color versions of The Mist and Mad Max: Fury Road for instance over their B&W versions.

Justice-league-snyder-cut-black-and-whit
SCREENRANT.COM

It's unclear when and where this version will debut.

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yep, that's my understanding at least. That the aspect ratio we are getting is showing information in the frame Snyder wants you to see, and shot it that way when he was shooting, etc. Weird, but yep, we'll just deal with those black pillar bars. 

He wants to do a black and white version too. Snyder considers himself an "artist" even if most here don't. :p  Unless a film is shot in black and white, I don't prefer it, though the process is different from movie to movie. I prefer the color versions of The Mist and Mad Max: Fury Road for instance over their B&W versions.

Justice-league-snyder-cut-black-and-whit
SCREENRANT.COM

It's unclear when and where this version will debut.

You know, when I avoided Justice League and never bothered to watch more then fifteen/thirty minutes of it, the entire time all I thought to myself was that the film could use more black and gray.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You didn't? Because you definitely framed your response like it was some kind of viable alternative... anyway it's all moot anyway because he always shot the film to be presented this way so nothing will be compromised or lost. 

I would never seriously advocate anyone watch a 4:3 movie stretched on their TV. Come on man. :p