The Snyder Cut is real...and it's SPECTACULAR!

TwinIon

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I find the "We live in a society" Joker line funny because it either shows that Snyder is not self aware, or is self fellating himself by appealing to his shitty, edgy fans. 

I would suggest a third option: it is just something silly to do

2 hours ago, Jason said:

When did the we live in a society meme start and when was this scene shot? They didn't do any new footage for the Schnyder cut, right?

Snyder did end up getting to do some reshoots. Highly limited, but bringing in Leto was one of them. They've allegedly spent another $70 million to put this Snyder cut together, including these limited reshoots.

This isn't new info, but I only just realized from some recent articles that the entire film will be in 4:3 (1.33:1) square aspect ratio. I thought the aspect ratio in the trailer was a weird thing for instagram or something. It's just bonkers to me given that this is a film that will be seen almost exclusively on home TVs and was shot entirely in widescreen (1.78:1), but will be released only in 1.33:1. It would make more sense to me if he released the square version alongside a widescreen cut, similar to what he's doing with the black and white release, but deciding to just make it all square is quite the choice. I hope someone does a comparison with examples of what is getting cropped out.

After this I suppose we'll know for sure if it's ever a good idea to go full Snyder.

I mean how many chances is Snyder going to get? At some point we have to admit that he's not that good of a filmmaker, or at least not for superhero films. Theatrical cut of Justice League couldn't be saved, and this cut looks like overindulgent crap. BvS was garbage. Man of Steel was OK at best, but had major issues that make it seem that Snyder doesn't understand the appeal of Superman. Sucker Punch sucker sucked. Watchmen was only OK, but again it seems like the point of the book went right over Snyder's head. 300 I remember being good, although I haven't seen it in years. I haven't seen his Dawn of the Dead, or that owls movie, but I'm sure they're fine. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Man, you really hate Snyder. Do you like any of his films? :p 

I don’t hate Snyder at all. I’d say his best stuff is probably Dawn of the Dead and 300, both of which I quite like.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut...

300 was over the top and preposterous in print. It’s not quite “I’m the goddamned Batman” Frank Miller, but it flirts with that, and that kind of material lends itself well to Snyder’s style. He’s not going to out-Miller Miller when he makes the transition to film, so whatever.

Dawn of the Dead is a straight up fun and well done movie. But Romero’s zombie movies have always had some kind of commentary to them, even the awful ones, and Snyder’s just doesn’t. I don’t need all zombie movies to have something to say and it’s fine that his remake is just a romp; I love a romp.

And his DC stuff is just... I dunno. It’s like he’s making movies where the characters behave like The Authority except they’re mainstream DC heroes and he wants them to be treated in-universe like they’re mainstream DC heroes even though they don’t behave that way. He fucking glammed up Rorschach, I don’t know if there’s anything else that so eloquently demonstrates the extent to which he doesn’t just doesn’t get it than that.

Even at his best he just takes anything that’s interesting, considers it a wrinkle, steams and irons it until it’s something that LOOKS really pretty... and there’s just nothing interesting left. If comics fans weren’t so chatty online we wouldn’t even be talking about him.

But his eye for spectacle and pomp is solid, and I don’t want that to come off like I’m damning with faint praise; I think he’s REALLY good at that. I just don’t think anything he’s done has ever done anything much more than look interesting. I think he would probably do really well with something like The Boys. I feel like he’d be less indulgent with the shittier aspects of that show and would handle some of the action better than the show does, even though I think the show does fine. Or something like Red Son, I bet he would do really well with something like that.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, these are reasonable responses! I think what you guys suggest is fair, but you also have to understand he ramped up some of Watchmen to appeal to casual audiences who want their action etc. given he was making an expensive blockbuster. Some of it is him and some of it is demands from the studio. It may not have pleased die hard Watchmen fans, but I saw the film in the theater and audiences came out loving the action scenes, etc. I think Rorschach doesn't come out great in the film, but he isn't the pathetic hero he should be. But at the same time, even reading the graphic novel I do sympathize with Rorschach's worldview a lot, so it's not like he's the enemy or something.

I mean, you guys say "how many chances is Snyder going to get" but if you head on over to either RottenTomatoes or IMDb all of his films score a solid 60% on RottenTomatoers or a 7.0 or higher on IMDb except for Sucker Punch and BvS. I mean, that's a hell of a record. So while you may individually not like him, most people not only like but love his movies (Sucker Punch and BvS notwithstanding, which we can all agree were bad movies). He's getting chances because it's pretty clear that out of seven films, he's made 5 good to great films, and only 2 bad ones. For those who may not be aware, here's his full filmography:

-Dawn of the Dead remake (2004 - written by James Gunn)

-Watchmen: Director's Cut (Snyder's preferred version)

-Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (underrated, more should see it)

-Sucker Punch: Director's Cut

-Man of Steel (I will always defend this film - it is beautiful, fun, awesome action, whacked out prog rock Krypton, etc.)

-Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Cut 

Justice League will make 8 films, we'll see how that one goes. 

Perhaps you guys will like the other movie of his coming out this year, Army of the Dead? He's already making a prequel to it, I believe. Apparently this is a direct sequel (at least takes place in the same world) as his Dawn of the Dead remake.

MV5BMmJhNWViYzAtZDBmMS00ZmU0LTk1NjEtZGZh
WWW.IMDB.COM

Directed by Zack Snyder. With Dave Bautista, Garret Dillahunt, Ella Purnell, Ana de la Reguera. Following a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, a group of mercenaries take the ultimate gamble, venturing into the quarantine zone to pull off the greatest heist ever attempted.

What’s wrong with hating on a director who has a large alt-right fan base? Do you think that happens by accident? His adaptation of Watchmen mistakes Rorschach as a hero. He didn’t leave the fascism out of 300. He wants to adapt The Fountainhead. I could go on and on, but let’s not blame those who have a distaste for him. It’s not like it isn’t earned.

9 minutes ago, Komusha said:

What’s wrong with hating on a director who has a large alt-right fan base? Do you think that happens by accident? His adaptation of Watchmen mistakes Rorschach as a hero. He didn’t leave the fascism out of 300. He wants to adapt The Fountainhead. I could go on and on, but let’s not blame those who have a distaste for him. It’s not like it isn’t earned.

Snyder reshot Army of the Dead after allegations about Chris D'Elia came out. He's been happily married for years and unlike Joss Whedon, so far has been known as a consummate professional to work with. Alt-right fan base? Lots of film directors have alt-right fan bases (Nolan included). That's silly to hate him because a portion of his fanbase suck. You don't have to like his life philosophy but this is pretty silly. And Rorschach might come out better in the film than the graphic novel, but he never came off as a hero to me, and people who've only seen the film with me and never read the graphic novel never thought so either. Hell, I don't agree with her completely but I like Ayn Rand and The Fountainhead too. Also, you can have a distaste for him as a person but that has little to do with his films, or we might as well hate all Woody Allen and Mel Gibson films too (among many other creators). Let's not forget how he's upset they did Cyborg and Martian Manhunter dirty in Justice League so he's making sure they get all the screentime he shot for them and he's constantly employed women and people of color.

You should just judge him based on his films as films and that's the end of it. Objectivity. Hate the specific portion of his fanbase that bothers you (I do) but not him or his films on that reason. That'd be like me hating Rick & Morty because part of the fanbase is toxic. And yes I think it happens by accident because Dan Harmon didn't intend for the alt-right to love him either. Misinterpreting art is a great ability the alt-right has.

2 hours ago, Komusha said:

This is some stretching one Mr Armstrong would be proud of

3 hours ago, Brick said:

I mean how many chances is Snyder going to get? At some point we have to admit that he's not that good of a filmmaker, or at least not for superhero films. Theatrical cut of Justice League couldn't be saved, and this cut looks like overindulgent crap. BvS was garbage. Man of Steel was OK at best, but had major issues that make it seem that Snyder doesn't understand the appeal of Superman. Sucker Punch sucker sucked. Watchmen was only OK, but again it seems like the point of the book went right over Snyder's head. 300 I remember being good, although I haven't seen it in years. I haven't seen his Dawn of the Dead, or that owls movie, but I'm sure they're fine. 

He reached his peak with 300.

I mean... Snyder seems to be an objectivist boob (I cannot easily think of anything I'd like to watch less than his take on Ayn fucking Rand, Jesus Christ), but he seems like an alright guy based on any of the things I've read about him. I know someone who did PA work for him not long after he signed to do Dawn of the Dead and at the time he was apparently a good guy to work with.

Superhero stuff in general is pretty damn right wing as that term gets used today, it's just made palatable by having most of the characters be social justice warriors, which has become spectacularly ironic in recent years. Even the best of them are just out on the streets committing assault most days and someone like The Punisher is basically "what if a mass shooter generally hit just the 'right' targets." It's no coincidence that his logo is constantly co-opted by terrible people, I'm occasionally surprised that Marvel hasn't stealth retired the character. These characters are heroes because we can get inside their heads and know their intentions, otherwise even someone like Spider-Man is relatively problematic... he's just swinging around, beating the shit out of people, and letting the police deal with the fallout.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:56 PM, Kal-El814 said:

I mean... Snyder seems to be an objectivist boob (I cannot easily think of anything I'd like to watch less than his take on Ayn fucking Rand, Jesus Christ), but he seems like an alright guy based on any of the things I've read about him. I know someone who did PA work for him not long after he signed to do Dawn of the Dead and at the time he was apparently a good guy to work with.

Superhero stuff in general is pretty damn right wing as that term gets used today, it's just made palatable by having most of the characters be social justice warriors, which has become spectacularly ironic in recent years. Even the best of them are just out on the streets committing assault most days and someone like The Punisher is basically "what if a mass shooter generally hit just the 'right' targets." It's no coincidence that his logo is constantly co-opted by terrible people, I'm occasionally surprised that Marvel hasn't stealth retired the character. These characters are heroes because we can get inside their heads and know their intentions, otherwise even someone like Spider-Man is relatively problematic... he's just swinging around, beating the shit out of people, and letting the police deal with the fallout.

Yeah, superheroes are a particularly strange thing to me these days. Like, Bruce Wayne is rich as fuck but his best idea to deal with systemic and institutional injustice and corruption is to circumvent the law as a vigilante and punch people in the face? That's about the dumbest thing possible. I still like superheroes, but it is weird.

That's why Watchmen the TV series was so good, because it dealt with this head on by making the cops also vigilantes. 

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, superheroes are a particularly strange thing to me these days. Like, Bruce Wayne is rich as fuck but his best idea to deal with systemic and institutional injustice and corruption is to circumvent the law as a vigilante and punch people in the face? That's about the dumbest thing possible. I still like superheroes, but it is weird.

That's why Watchmen the TV series was so good, because it dealt with this head on by making the cops also vigilantes. 

Watchmen has always been about the vanity of those that would consider themselves heroes. It didn't really matter if they accomplished that via a badge or a cape.

Snyder sort of fell ass backward into Watchmen by accidentally preserving the vanity while also completely missing the point. My biggest issue with Snyder is that he doesn't do sincerity very well and that's something he needs for any good superhero movie. To overlook the silliness of people in capes saving the universe, there has to be some level of sincerity mixed in. You have to believe Tony Stark thinks he's doing the right thing. The reason Snyder sort of lucked out with Watchmen and gave us a half decent movie is because there is no sincerity among its cast. Rorschach is the closest you get, but he's actually certifiable and should be locked up. It's no coincidence that he's also the character Snyder gets most wrong.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Watchmen has always been about the vanity of those that would consider themselves heroes. It didn't really matter if they accomplished that via a badge or a cape.

Snyder sort of fell ass backward into Watchmen by accidentally preserving the vanity while also completely missing the point. My biggest issue with Snyder is that he doesn't do sincerity very well and that's something he needs for any good superhero movie. To overlook the silliness of people in capes saving the universe, there has to be some level of sincerity mixed in. You have to believe Tony Stark thinks he's doing the right thing. The reason Snyder sort of lucked out with Watchmen and gave us a half decent movie is because there is no sincerity among its cast. Rorschach is the closest you get, but he's actually certifiable and should be locked up. It's no coincidence that he's also the character Snyder gets most wrong.

He fucks up Dr. Manhattan pretty badly, too. In the comics it’s easy to tell how far away he is from the accident as he gradually behaves less and less human. In the movie he’s got a pretty even keel almost the whole time. In Vietnam in the comic, his face is condemning when he’s dressing down The Comedian for killing the woman, which makes Blake calling him out more poignant... John is “acting” concerned but did nothing. In the movie he’s sorta curious about why Blake did that. Snyder also lets Dan beat the shit out of Ozymandias which... again, dude just misses the point all over the goddamn place, Adrian didn’t feel he had anything to atone for, he wouldn’t have let Dan just beat his ass after so clearly establishing that he doesn’t think Dan is on his level in any respect.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

He fucks up Dr. Manhattan pretty badly, too. In the comics it’s easy to tell how far away he is from the accident as he gradually behaves less and less human. In the movie he’s got a pretty even keel almost the whole time. In Vietnam in the comic, his face is condemning when he’s dressing down The Comedian for killing the woman, which makes Blake calling him out more poignant... John is “acting” concerned but did nothing. In the movie he’s sorta curious about why Blake did that. Snyder also lets Dan beat the shit out of Ozymandias which... again, dude just misses the point all over the goddamn place, Adrian didn’t feel he had anything to atone for, he wouldn’t have let Dan just beat his ass after so clearly establishing that he doesn’t think Dan is on his level in any respect.

I mean, yes. I'm a huge fan of the original comic, but Snyder sort of stumbles into the grand premise of Watchmen entirely by accident. I say by accident because it's clear from his resume that this is just his voice and Watchmen just sort of happened to sort of line up with his for reasons Snyder is entirely oblivious to. He doesn't actually get any of the Watchmen characters. I just mentioned Rorschach because it's so laughably off. This is nothing new. 300 is a pretty successful film, but he doesn't really get anybody in that movie. However it works since the movie is literally armies of hopelessly vain brutes crashing into each other. 300 is the mindless fun of slamming He-man action figures into GI Joes, even if Snyder seems to think he's telling a deeper story than that.

I often wonder if Snyder was just born in the wrong era and hjs movies would have been better received in the 90s when folks weren't expecting much from their comic book movies and everything was edgy and had way too many pouches. I bet he would have made a dope Spawn movie in 1997, complete with terrible CG.

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I mean, yes. I'm a huge fan of the original comic, but Snyder sort of stumbles into the grand premise of Watchmen entirely by accident. I say by accident because it's clear from his resume that this is just his voice and Watchmen just sort of happened to sort of line up with his for reasons Snyder is entirely oblivious to. He doesn't actually get any of the Watchmen characters. I just mentioned Rorschach because it's so laughably off. This is nothing new. 300 is a pretty successful film, but he doesn't really get anybody in that movie. However it works since the movie is literally armies of hopelessly vain brutes crashing into each other. 300 is the mindless fun of slamming He-man action figures into GI Joes, even if Snyder seems to think he's telling a deeper story than that.

I often wonder if Snyder was just born in the wrong era and hjs movies would have been better received in the 90s when folks weren't expecting much from their comic book movies and everything was edgy and had way too many pouches. I bet he would have made a dope Spawn movie in 1997, complete with terrible CG.

As I've said several times... he's stuck in that zeitgeist. He's realzing ideas on screen that he's had in his head since his teens and early adulthood with no introspection. It's hilarious really because he's a man in his 40's, 50's? His work shows ZERO emotional maturity or sophistication outside of some cool shots and camera tricks. I don't think his work is all that interesting at all to be honest because the novelty of his razzle dazzle style wore off when tech caught up to him and pretty much ANY filmmaker can do a lot of the same stuff. Shit, he stole his whole aesthetic from 90's anime and videogames anyway.