The Snyder Cut is real...and it's SPECTACULAR!

TwinIon

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

There are multiple versions over the last 80 years, the chemical bath Joker is definitely the most well-known, but I believethat appeared somewhere in the 70's-80's. But he was just a clown in makeup for the first 30 years or so.

There is no correct version of him, he has more "origins" than any other villain or superhero I can think of. So we're both correct and both wrong, I guess?

Uh no it wasn't. The first instance of the chemical bath was in a 1951 comic that tried to give him an official origin story, but before that there was nothing stating how he got his look, and nothing that definitively pointed to it being makeup, so of course it just seemed to be how his skin was naturally. 

I actually thought that was a good trailer. Snyder clearly intentionally put the "We live in a society" line in, but you guys are being unfair cause Joker continues: "where honor is a distant memory" so it's not like he says the line by itself. I have no idea if the movie will be good but both trailers were pretty solid all told. Then again, I like most Snyder movies.

Man of Steel is a legit good movie. Great? I think so. Amazing? No, I don't think so. But it's different, it has a unique voice and style, and great action.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is a terrible movie. Poorly shot, scored, written. The director's cut is better but it doesn't make it a good movie, only a tolerable one.

Justice League was a Frankenstein's monster of a movie. It's better than Batman v Superman by a good bit and there are some legit cool scenes in it. It was fun, but ultimately a pretty average and forgettable film. But there was good in there that, if expanded, could have made the movie actually good. 

So . . . we'll see. At least the movie seems different. I'm not ready to hate, and I like seeing artists get the chance to make the movie they wanted to make unimpeded. I mean, I really enjoyed Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake, 300, and Watchmen: Director's Cut (along with Man of Steel). Even Sucker Punch (the director's cut at least) was well directed and cool and shit, even if it didn't come together as a movie. It's not like he's a bad filmmaker, he just needs good scripts. The only movie he's really written is Sucker Punch, and that explains the issues with that film. If you think about it, other than Batman v Superman and Sucker Punch, which movies of his really are outright bad (and I like Sucker Punch on a superficial and visceral level, it's a very cool movie that's well shot, etc.)?

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t get why people think the Joker scene is so funny

Yeah I don’t get what’s funny. I don’t get the reference at all. 

I thought that trailer was pretty awesome and has moved me from “meh I guess I’ll watch it” to “that’s looks awesome I’m there night 1”

I fully expect no matter how good it is that this board will shit all over it though. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah I don’t get what’s funny. I don’t get the reference at all. 

I thought that trailer was pretty awesome and has moved me from “meh I guess I’ll watch it” to “that’s looks awesome I’m there night 1”

I fully expect no matter how good it is that this board will shit all over it though. 

This board does have a hard on for hating on Snyder's aesthetic. It's weird, because after 300 came out, people were pumped a fan of Watchmen was directing Watchmen. Then Sucker Punch, Man of Steel, and Batman v Superman happened and the fanbase split and half of it started hating him.

It's a shame, in a way. Unlike Joss Whedon, he's a consummate professional, no sexual misconduct, and is a passionate guy. He's not a perfect director, but why do two bad movies mean his entire filmography is ruined? At least he has a unique style and tone, etc. 

The scene with the Joker is theoretically funny because of the "we live in a society" Joker memes came out after the film Joker came out (a movie I love but fans are split on).

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This board does have a hard on for hating on Snyder's aesthetic. It's weird, because after 300 came out, people were pumped a fan of Watchmen was directing Watchmen. Then Sucker Punch, Man of Steel, and Batman v Superman happened and the fanbase split and half of it started hating him.

It's a shame, in a way. Unlike Joss Whedon, he's a consummate professional, no sexual misconduct, and is a passionate guy. He's not a perfect director, but why do two bad movies mean his entire filmography is ruined? At least he has a unique style and tone, etc. 

I am looking forward to JL, i haven't seen the original so it could be fun. As far as his other films well...

His version of DOTD was not good compared to the original. He removed all the subtext of the original and turned it in to a basic bitch zombie film, its not terrible in what it does, just not great.

He did the same thing with Watchmen but worse, granted its thats comic that never should have never been condensed in to film but still.

MOS I really like, I love his version superman but  there was few missed marks.

BvS is bad levels of terrible, it feels like it was written by 50 writers and Lex is the least menacing villain in film maybe ever. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I am looking forward to JL, i haven't seen the original so it could be fun. As far as his other films well...

His version of DOTD was not good compared to the original. He removed all the subtext of the original and turned it in to a basic bitch zombie film, its not terrible in what it does, just not great.

He did the same thing with Watchmen but worse, granted its thats comic that never should have never been condensed in to film but still.

MOS I really like, I love his version superman but  there was few missed marks.

BvS is bad levels of terrible, it feels like it was written by 50 writers and Lex is the least menacing villain in film maybe ever. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Most people really enjoy his remake of DOTD. It's not as good as the original, but James Gunn's screenplay is pretty solid and Snyder brings the directing skill (how weird that Gunn went on to do MCU stuff and Snyder is now doing DC stuff). 

Watchmen was an impossible adaptation. I'm glad it was as close to the graphic novel as it could be. Yes, it misses some of the subtext but he had to please a lot of different people at once (making a blockbuster movie with good action but also adapt the graphic novel). 

What'd you think of the owl CG movie and Sucker Punch and 300? And even as a Snyder apologist, I will never praise BvS. That movie sucked.

9 hours ago, johnny said:

snyder’s movies always look good. they are just mostly not good. 

Pretty much this... he's all sizzle and no steak. That got him over for a couple of film, but Sucker Punch pretty much exposed him as a visual director with little interest in character and nuance. There are things I like about Man of Steel and things I loathe and the the things I loather were confirmed in his subsequent movies. He basically didn't get the DC heroes and is stuck in the grim and gritty era of comics and refuses to leave it. I'm gonna watch this cut of the film and I expect to see some great visuals, decent action and a lot of slow mo with power rock underscores... but that's about it. BTW I was a Snyder FAN. Loved his DOTD remake and 300. Was pretty lukewarm on everything after that :shrug:

He just hasn't grown that much as a director in my opinion outside of how much slow-mo he can stuff into a film.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Because Snyder has assaulted his all of his audiences just by making movies means there's no one left to come forward, we are all victims. Where as Whedon has brought us so much joy the only thing that's left are negative things.

Also, a non-trivial amount of Buffyverse discussion is not driven by men looking to score internet points.

• Haha 1