Playstation turns 25, sets Guinness World Record for best-selling console brand

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Ah, yes. Let us celebrate the success of mega corporations. Truly this is a day to be treasured.

Sony has brought to me personally, literally tens of thousands of hours of enjoyment gaming over the last 25 years. So unless 10 year old Indonesian kids are making these consoles like they do my sneakers, I don't really have a problem celebrating the success of products I enjoy. 

8 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Sony has brought to me personally, literally tens of thousands of hours of enjoyment gaming over the last 25 years. So unless 10 year old Indonesian kids are making these consoles like they do my sneakers, I don't really have a problem celebrating the success of products I enjoy. 

I’m cool with celebrating the anniversary of the platform, but the Guinness World Record thing is just dumb. 

They beat Nintendo? Is this some sort of technicality because Sony's consoles have all been named the Playstation, whereas Nintendo switches up the names? Over the course of the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and now Switch, Sony has still sold more Playstations? 

41 minutes ago, Brick said:

They beat Nintendo? Is this some sort of technicality because Sony's consoles have all been named the Playstation, whereas Nintendo switches up the names? Over the course of the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and now Switch, Sony has still sold more Playstations? 

Yes.  Sony has sold ~450M consoles, while Nintendo has sold ~325M consoles (excluding handhelds).  SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii-U did not sell in huge amounts -- if you add them all together they're still ~30M lower than PS2.

4 hours ago, Dodger said:

And even if they are being made by 10 year old Indonesian kids I don’t care.  :lol:

4 hours ago, Dodger said:

:lol: Alright buddy, go buy a birthday cake and celebrate.

Shit it's not even celebrating. If Nintendo had a tweet that said hey what's your favorite Nintendo console and game it's basically the same thing. People probably wouldn't complain.  Just made me think about all the gaming I've done over the last 25 years, with a lot of it being on the 4 PS consoles. 

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Speaking of which, The Verge is observing Playstation's anniversary with a host of cool articles about its history.

One of them: The portable PlayStations were Sony at its most ambitious

I think the problem for the Vita is that it just wasn't properly supported by Sony's first party studios. If you're gonna make a handheld, you still have to properly support it and not hope third party does everything for you. This is the one thing Nintendo understands above all, if Nintendo puts out a handheld you know it will get the same quality first support it's consoles get and all your favorite franchises will be there as well. I think Sony relied too much on the power of the Vita and hoped being a sort of handheld console would get more third party support than it did.