She-Ra Co-Creator strikes back at critics

https://screenrant.com/she-ra-creator-netflix-series-characters/

After Netflix revealed a new character design for its She-Ra and the Princesses of Power series, toxic fandom began to rear its ugly head. Many cited that the latest version of She-Ra did not match up with the idealized version of a woman that the original character represented. However, Straczynski took to Twitter to set people straight: She-Ra's creators never thought of her as an idealized woman. Instead, she was created to appeal to little girls.

This probably won't stop some of the comments that revolve around She-Ra's new look. Some fans seem not to like the new costume. Others, though, seem to embrace misogyny, with many commenting on the fact that her breasts are small and that she doesn't look sexy enough. Unfortunately, this is typical behavior from the toxic fandom community, who seem to think that creators are creating things solely for them. After all, it happened with the casting of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, and this type of behavior recently drove Star Wars' Kelly Marie Tran off social media. It's no surprise that even She-Ra is not immune to such Internet toxicity.

Fortunately, She-Ra's new creator, Noelle Stevenson, has received a lot of support for the new series, as she should. For those criticizing the new look, it's evident that this series is not for them. Instead, the new She-Ra and the Princesses of Power will appeal to modern girls, and that's all that really matters. Imagine all those thrilled little girls dressing like She-Ra for Halloween. She-Ra is back, and she's better than ever.

she-ra-reboot750x422.jpg

I don't see the problem with the new design. 

• Guillotine 1

Its ok I suppose, just gotta reconcile what I recall her looking like and this...honestly looking at the art I would never think it was She-ra from the look of it.

I recall complaining about similar changes with Transformers various generations, Teen Titans, Batman... Fans do take their intolerance of change to ridiculous levels...

The new Thundercats "Go" show is another recent change

The design and aesthetic look aside, it's the animation that looks crappy to me. You look at any of the other past iterations of Masters of the Universe, and this one looks like it's going for a weird Dr. Katz/not-serious scribbley-line toss away toon in comparison. Almost kinda like how the new Thundercats being previewed looks... just like there's no effort coming from Mattel's wallet.

Meh I don’t like it but mostly cause I just don’t seem to like most modern artic styles. Not that She Ra was realistic looking originally but I like that more real look better. Same with Thundercats. I dont like the super round silly look to them. So I guess that means I’ve reached the “get off my lawn” Stage in my animation tastes. 

9 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

The design and aesthetic look aside, it's the animation that looks crappy to me. You look at any of the other past iterations of Masters of the Universe, and this one looks like it's going for a weird Dr. Katz/not-serious scribbley-line toss away toon in comparison. Almost kinda like how the new Thundercats being previewed looks... just like there's no effort coming from Mattel's wallet.

I didn't even know there was a trailer in the wild. Link?

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Meh I don’t like it but mostly cause I just don’t seem to like most modern artic styles. Not that She Ra was realistic looking originally but I like that more real look better. Same with Thundercats. I dont like the super round silly look to them. So I guess that means I’ve reached the “get off my lawn” Stage in my animation tastes. 

I know exactly what you mean... I don't have a problem with her being less sexy. That design just kinda sucks. Maybe the art style looks better in motion... honestly I don't give a shit. I never liked She-ra when I was a kid so I couldn't care less now.

As for the design, I think it's fine. She Ra was supposed to be He Man, but for girls. If this reboot is supposed to target the same demographic, this style works perfectly fine. Honestly, I have two daughters, and I wouldn't want a cartoon aimed at them to star someone that's supposed to be sexy.

That all aside, I do find the idea of complaining about the integrity of a series created with the specific goal of selling little girls themed dolls to be hilarious.

All 80’s cartoons were created with selling toys as the first priority. But to laugh them and the people who care about them off is pretty lame. Let’s not pretend like all of those cartoons were terrible, shallow programming with zero merit. There was a good amount of substance to a lot of them and many of them still hold up today. 

11 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

All 80’s cartoons were created with selling toys as the first priority. But to laugh them and the people who care about them off is pretty lame. Let’s not pretend like all of those cartoons were terrible, shallow programming with zero merit. There was a good amount of substance to a lot of them and many of them still hold up today. 

In this specific case, we're talking about people complaining that the lead in a series designed to sell toys to little girls isn't sexy enough.

Just because a cartoon might be designed to sell toys doesn't mean it can't also be good. In this instance, it's just insane that we know nothing about the actual story. Hell, we don't even have a trailer yet. Literally, the only thing anyone has anything to go on are some screenshots. To complain about the integrity of the character designs in a series that gave us Bow is insanity. Like, I'm half certain most of the characters in the series were designed to just allow Mattel to reuse old Barbie and He-Man molds with sight tweaks. Any character design without those restraints is going to be an upgrade.

40 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

In this specific case, we're talking about people complaining that the lead in a series designed to sell toys to little girls isn't sexy enough.

Just because a cartoon might be designed to sell toys doesn't mean it can't also be good. In this instance, it's just insane that we know nothing about the actual story. Hell, we don't even have a trailer yet. Literally, the only thing anyone has anything to go on are some screenshots. To complain about the integrity of the character designs in a series that gave us Bow is insanity. Like, I'm half certain most of the characters in the series were designed to just allow Mattel to reuse old Barbie and He-Man molds with sight tweaks. Any character design without those restraints is going to be an upgrade.

It was targeted to girls, it was watched by boys because the world and setting just do not appeal to girls for the most part..

this show still will not be watched by girls only now boys won't watch it either.