Looking to build a new gaming PC aka Please help me pick some parts

Raggit

30 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It's gen 3 using 4x lanes like other nvme drive. The title description is misleading lol. 

For some reason I thought it was this one: https://www.amazon.com/XPG-GAMMIX-S50-Internal-AGAMMIXS50-1TT-C/dp/B07WH4DVWR/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Which was the same exact price earlier and was posted on Reddit the same time I was reading this thread ( 

)

Alright, so far this is what I'm going with:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM 

Mobo: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Keeping my old 980 ti

Case: Keeping my old Antec twelve hundred

PSU: Keeping my old EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

I'm still concerned about the RAM clearance. The sticks seem a bit tall so I may look for something shorter. Also, is there any reason to go for 32 GB right now? Do any games actually benefit from that much RAM?

@cusideabelincoln @Spork3245 @Massdriver

6 minutes ago, Raggit said:

I'm still concerned about the RAM clearance. The sticks seem a bit tall so I may look for something shorter. Also, is there any reason to go for 32 GB right now? Do any games actually benefit from that much RAM?

16gb is fine. You can always add more down the road.

3 hours ago, Raggit said:

No games at the moment show any benefit from moving to 16 to 32GB of RAM.  Only in the past year or two have games shown a benefit going from 8 to 16GB.  Unclear how this will change with the next generation of consoles dropping, but given past trends (when the previous consoles launched) you shouldn't need to worry about it for at least another 2 years.

Keep in mind RAM height doesn't matter with liquid cooling.  Although if you currently have a really good air cooler, and still have the adapters for it (since AMD has supported the same cooler mounting size for over a decade), then you could probably re-use it and get as good of results as a liquid cooler.  In which case, Ryzen processors scale very well with RAM  up to ~3833 MHz speeds.  I'd also avoid any RAM that has a CAS latency of 19 or higher.  If looking at 3200-3400 MHz RAM, don't get anything that has a CAS latency higher than 16.  And, a little known tip, for maximum performance you do want to get RAM that has been officially tested with your motherboard (their website should have a list of "qualified" kits).  Otherwise, you can manually tweak the RAM to achieve better results.

Apparently the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM is not compatible with my Antec twelve hundred v3. Not sure why, but I know jack shit about cooler compatibility. Can you recommend me one that is compatible with the Antec twelve hundred v3 and still good enough to allow a 3700X to be OCed?

edit: My current cooler (Corsair a70) isn't compatible with the 3700X nor the mobo I picked.

It is a shame Corsair never released a bracket for AM4, nor support the stock AM3 mounting system for the A70.

The ML240L can work in your Twelve Hundred, but it'll be a tight fit.  You'll have to use the same process as this video:

The one wrinkle is the ML240L is 2mm longer than the H100.  Can't make out how much room there is at the top of the case, but if there's absolutely zero give then 2mm could offset the mounting holes just enough.

If you just want to play it safe, then get a 120mm water cooler like

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/9FgPxr/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060024ww

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

And i just watched this video last night.  He's going off of US prices, but seems like you should not get the ASRock board I chose (which was just the cheapest X570 I found).

Heh I saw that video. I was going to get the  Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), but it' s no longer in stock at the price I wanted, so I'm going with the non-wifi version.

3 hours ago, Raggit said:

Alright, thanks for all the help! :sun: I ended up buying the following:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Mobo: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 

Looks great. I bought the same cpu, motherboard (WiFi version though)and ssd. The 3800x couldn’t be passed up for some of the black friday deals. I can’t wait to fire this thing up! Congratulations!

:santasun: