MAGA asshole goes into Home Depot and hurls racist insults at black employee. Home Depot fires black employee.

https://wnyt.com/news/home-depot-employee-says-he-was-fired-after-responding-to-customers-racist-rant-albany/4995436/

The Times-Union reports that Maurice Rucker, 60-year-old black man, was let go from a job he’s held for 10 years—making $13 an hour—because he politely asked a customer to leash his dog in the store.

“I said to him, “Sir, when you have your dog in here we prefer that you keep it on a leash,'” according to the Times-Union.

He turned around and said, ‘F**k you. You’re an a*****e you’re a piece of s**t,'” Rucker said.

He says, ‘If Trump wasn’t president, you wouldn’t even have a job.’ He said, ‘You’re from the ghetto, what do you know?'”

After the relentless barrage of insults, Rucker shot back.

“‘You’re lucky I’m at work, because if I wasn’t, this wouldn’t be happening, or you wouldn’t be talking to me like this,'” Rucker told the Times Union.

Home Depot, which had not given Rucker a sizable raise during his decade of service, told the paper that they were sorry their employee was subject to racist abuse, but that he was nevertheless in the wrong.

HandyClearcutBedbug-size_restricted.gif

Updated:

According to an email sent to Raw Story Friday afternoon by Matthew Harrigan — Senior Manager of Corporate Communications at The Home Depot — Maurice Rucker has been offered his job back.

In the email, Harrigan wrote: ” I’m reaching out from The Home Depot to provide an update regarding Maurice Rucker. We’ve taken another look at this and we are offering Maurice his job back. Would you mind updating your story?

That was quick!

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

LOL fuck going back to work for those assholes, I'd be suing for dat sweet settlement money.

Is NY an "at will" employment state?  If so, it will be very difficult for him to get compensation as the company will claim that his original termination was in-line with the company's policies and he was not singled-out for specific discriminatory treatment.

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Is NY an "at will" employment state?  If so, it will be very difficult for him to get compensation as the company will claim that his original termination was in-line with the company's policies and he was not singled-out for specific discriminatory treatment.

Isn't every state "at will"?

4 minutes ago, Slug said:

All 3 parties (Home Depot, the employee, and the racist asshole) acted poorly IMO.

At worst, he needs to be written up or given a verbal warning, but being outright fired is disgusting.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Certainly not equally poorly, and provocation certainly needs to be taken into account. Let's not falsely equivocate here. :)

Oh yeah not equally poorly by any stretch.  Sorry if I accidentally implied that.

Racist asshole, completely no excuse.  Employee, broke company policy and made a low key threat, but it was understandable given the situation.  Company should've taken the provocation into consideration and been willing to go to bat for their employee, but I can also see why they took the route they did.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

What did the employee do wrong? Stick up for himself while on the clock?

Pretty much, yeah.  It was a bad situation and he was understandably angry, but they have policies in place for dealing with abusive customers and he didn't follow them.  Home Depot should've given more consideration to the context of the situation and their employee's years of apparently excellent service, but yeah..the employee reacted badly.

5 minutes ago, Slug said:

Oh yeah not equally poorly by any stretch.  Sorry if I accidentally implied that.

Racist asshole, completely no excuse.  Employee, broke company policy and made a low key threat, but it was understandable given the situation.  Company should've taken the provocation into consideration and been willing to go to bat for their employee, but I can also see why they took the route they did.

All good - it's important to get specific because on its face a person could really mean all three were equally bad. See Trump: "good people on both sides". 

I agree overall. I disagree that it's okay for the corporation to go the route they did - we should demand better from our companies.

As for the employee technically breaking company policy, well, sure, maybe he did, but it's, as you said, completely understandable so I wouldn't dock him any points at all. 

The rest, I agree with. :)

My standing rule for my employees is the moment a customer starts using abusive or threatening language, notify a manager and the customer will be asked to leave. Usually I have management level staff around where most customer interactions will happen so it’s pretty easy to handle.

Home Depot could have used some discretion here regarding the circumstances surrounding it.

I see this completely different from that situation where an employee tried to physically stop a shoplifter by throwing something at him. The potential liability their is soooo high that breaking a rule that is generally drilled into retail employees (don’t try and stop shoplifters) is definitely cause for termination.

On 7/20/2018 at 4:37 PM, CitizenVectron said:

You’re lucky I’m at work, because if I wasn’t, this wouldn’t be happening, or you wouldn’t be talking to me like this,'” Rucker told the Times Union.

Tone is often tough in text, but this could be the only place where the employee went wrong, that we know of. The verbiage could be interpreted as "threatening". 

But considering the abuse he was taking, even if the employee was yelling these words at the customer I would not see reason to fire him.  Other forms of corrective action, like a verbal or write up. But even raising his voice, if this was the worst he said, then the employee still maintained his composure pretty admirably overall.

If I was the GM I would have told the customer he needed to leave (which I have before when an employee was being verbally abused by a patron)