Resident Evil 3 Remake OT - The Great Escape

Pikachu

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Really sorry about that. I didn't even think about how cool a surprise that would be. :doh:

Nah, someone just sent it on a Discord server I'm in so it would've found its way to me either way. :lol: Do video game developers not care about surprises IN their games anymore? We get all this secretive bullshit about whether or not they're even making a game, but then they tell us all the cool shit before we get to see it for ourselves. Shit's backwards, man.

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Nemesis gameplay spoiler:

Hide contents

This has been debunked. 

https://www.gamesradar.com/dont-worry-resident-evil-3-safe-rooms-are-safe-confirm-capcom/

"In this month's Official Xbox Magazine's hands-on preview of the game, OXM reported on needing to dodge past the Nemesis when he broke into a room with a progress-saving typewriter. This location was not, in fact, a designated safe room. The clue's in the music, as is traditional in the Resi franchise - and not all save points are in safe rooms."

Just played through the demo.  It plays almost identically to RE2 aside from the addition of the dodge move.  The graphics in the first cut scene look a little better to my eyes than they did in RE2, but I'd have to go back and compare them.  There are lots more zombies and a bunch of ammunition, at least in the demo portion.  Looking forward to it, but may hold off for a bit given how similar it is to the last game, which I put lots of time into.

56 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Just played through the demo.  It plays almost identically to RE2 aside from the addition of the dodge move.  The graphics in the first cut scene look a little better to my eyes than they did in RE2, but I'd have to go back and compare them.  There are lots more zombies and a bunch of ammunition, at least in the demo portion.  Looking forward to it, but may hold off for a bit given how similar it is to the last game, which I put lots of time into.

I will probably hold off as well. I just bought RE2 on a nice psn sale. I doubt the multiplayer is going to be super amazing so I probably won't miss much by waiting 6 months to get it half off. 

I just played through the demo a few times and while I think the level design and environments are great and it's gorgeous, I wasn't that into it honestly despite being possibly my most awaited game this year.

The dodge move feels...fucking weird. I'm sure I can learn it and get used to it but it feels, if I had to describe, over-animated and yet stiff. Sometimes it felt super easy to pull off on Nemesis, other times completely unreliable where I could've sworn I dodged at the same time as before. Which brings me to the fact I just don't like Nemesis. He looks silly, he superman-flies away when baited into areas he's not supposed to be I suppose (?), he can teleport in front of you at random within his "arena" and he has that super obnoxious move where he can tentacle-grab you as you're running away from him...which you can't really see. He then drags you in front of him and just kind of stands there, it's weird.

The zombie gore, or specifically, dismemberment has been toned down heavily as well with limbs rarely coming off and if they do, they don't stay like in RE2 but simply disappear with a little flash and a bit of blood on the floor. Also can't dismember with the knife anymore.

I don't know, something doesn't feel like it gels right here and I'm not sure I can put my finger on it besides just not liking Nemesis. That being said though, the level design and environments are great and it looks fantastic. I'm a bit torn on this one and it kind of made me want to play RE2 again instead. I played through it four times to try to convince myself I love it but both the third and fourth time I just ended up quitting before the Nemesis encounter because he's just annoying.

I hope they do Code Veronica next. I have a soft spot for that game but my god has it aged just as poorly as the rest in many ways. I remember thinking that stupid scene where Steve jumps in and they Matrix-camera around him was so cool. Now I watch it and it's like holy shit this is awful.

46 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I hope they do Code Veronica next. I have a soft spot for that game but my god has it aged just as poorly as the rest in many ways. I remember thinking that stupid scene where Steve jumps in and they Matrix-camera around him was so cool. Now I watch it and it's like holy shit this is awful.

What about the entire John Woo intro scene where all of a sudden Claire can out-gun an entire platoon of trained mercs, AND an attack chopper, despite having NO training whatsoever?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

What about the entire John Woo intro scene where all of a sudden Claire can out-gun an entire platoon of trained mercs, AND an attack chopper, despite having NO training whatsoever?

Again, I thought that was so cool, being 12 was awesome.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I also hope they do Code: Veronica next as well, but I wouldn't mind a remake of RE0 either.

34 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Again, I thought that was so cool, being 12 was awesome.

Hey, it's still cool! The CG simply hasn't aged well. Cool is cool, whatever. :]

I loved the demo. Nemesis scared the shit out of me the moment he ran at me.

Really great level design for the city. I didn't know how it would work since the tighter spaces and limited areas to run worked in RE1 and 2, but it works very well in 3. Cannot wait until next Friday. A terrible jobs report awaits, but at least there's RE3make.

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It's honestly nuts to look at this -- a game released in 2000 -- and compare it to the next Resident Evil game in 2002 on the Gamecube during the same generation.

Remake gets the benefit of pre-rendered backgrounds and isn't' fully 3D like Code Veronica.

Not really a huge fan of horror/scary games, but I figured I'd give the RE3 demo a shot. It was fun. So I figured I'd give the RE2 demo a shot. It was also fun. So I figured I'd buy RE2. I'm having fun. Now I'm trying not to pre-purchase RE3. :s

33 minutes ago, Raggit said:

Not really a huge fan of horror/scary games, but I figured I'd give the RE3 demo a shot. It was fun. So I figured I'd give the RE2 demo a shot. It was also fun. So I figured I'd buy RE2. I'm having fun. Now I'm trying not to pre-purchase RE3. :s

200.gif

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I'll be the judge of what benefits it has. :| 

But @Keyser_Soze is right. :]

Additionally, Code: Veronica was built from the ground up with the Dreamcast in mind and came out on that system first in February 2000. The RE1 remake was built from the ground up with the GameCube in mind, and came out in March 2002, two years later, and the GameCube was a decently more powerful console than the Dreamcast (on top of the reasons Keyser gave). 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Raggit said:

I have to be honest though. Mr. X is pissing me off. Kinda spoilerish but not really:

Spoiler

I'm on my 2nd run as Claire, and just got the wand from the statue, triggering a licker to come into the room. I flash bang it and run towards the door... Then this punk ass busts through the door and throws me at the fucking licker. :| I'm not sure how he patrols or how he spawns, but it just seems like no matter where I am, he's right down the hall. There area few times where I legit saw him go another direction only to have him bust into the room I'm in, or walking into a minute or two later.

I really should start killing more zombies, they're also making it tougher to get away from him lol.

6 minutes ago, Raggit said:

I have to be honest though. Mr. X is pissing me off. Kinda spoilerish but not really:

Hide contents

I'm on my 2nd run as Claire, and just got the wand from the statue, triggering a licker to come into the room. I flash bang it and run towards the door... Then this punk ass busts through the door and throws me at the fucking licker. :| I'm not sure how he patrols or how he spawns, but it just seems like no matter where I am, he's right down the hall. There area few times where I legit saw him go another direction only to have him bust into the room I'm in, or walking into a minute or two later.

I really should start killing more zombies, they're also making it tougher to get away from him lol.

A little goofy tip/trick you can pull on Mr. X that I found really useful once I figured it out:

If he's following  you and you manage to get through a door and close it before he comes through it behind you, stand behind the door on the side where the door would obscure you when it opens. He'll walk right past you and just continue if you stand still. Basically it seems he doesn't see you since the door is hiding you in the corner.