Resident Evil 3 Remake OT - The Great Escape

Pikachu

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Who seriously had a hard time with Mr. X after the initial encounter? If anything the dude was so easy that he became annoying instead of threatening. I never played much RE3, but I remember Nemesis at least being a significant threat, which should be a nice change from Mr. X being super imposing but ultimately easy to cheese.

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Who seriously had a hard time with Mr. X after the initial encounter? If anything the dude was so easy that he became annoying instead of threatening. I never played much RE3, but I remember Nemesis at least being a significant threat, which should be a nice change from Mr. X being super imposing but ultimately easy to cheese.

Dude forget RE2make,  this one has potential to surpass Alien Isolation or Outlast as one of the most harrowing stalker-horror games ever made.  I guess a lot of the complaints towards RE2make were because of how different it felt to have Mr X as a constant pursuer since that wasn't how it played out in the original.  But with RE3 everyone hopefully knows what they're getting into, especially playing on harder difficulties.  If not, hoo boy!

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You just run away from Mr. X. Pretty easy :p 

True, but the design of the encounters themselves, especially the sound design could make his presence feel intense.  Now there's RE3, where you've got a character like that, only they can grab you from 15 feet away, use weapons, etc.  If done well it's gonna feel way more intense, as it should.

Oh I'm excited. I played through RE2 more than 10 times total, probably the highest of any game I can think of, as I'm not big on playing the same thing over and over. I'm hoping we get some defensive moves here like the original RE3 had (but less janky) because that's the one thing I felt was really lacking in RE2's combat -- defensive options were basically items you could use or just... movement. Felt like we were missing a dodge or block like RE7.

And I haven't looked at any trailers or screenshots. I skipped that mass of those up above because I don't want to spoil anything, my first time playing will be the demo, because I got a helluva lot of playtime out of the RE2 demo.

possible (but minor) spoiler

Spoiler

the defensive maneuver is a dodge, kinda like in the original game, but slowed down and stylized to feel almost like something out of Vanquish. 

Capcom definitely seem to be pulling no punches in making this feel both scary and fun to play

Mr. X scared the fuck out of me. I never played the original, so I was like, "tf is this shit?" And then in NG+, he appears in a totally different spot.

Is he easy to run away from? Yeah, mostly. The game is fair to not allow him to the few rooms without an escape route. But I was still strategizing where to go by figuring out where he was with his CLANK CLANK CLANK, and sometimes I'd use a higher level to watch him in the main hall, see what side he was on, and plan my route accordingly.

Resident Evil 3's Remake Is Frightening In New Ways, And Nemesis Is To Blame (Gamespot)

I'm delighted that RE3 seems to be drastically reinventing itself to be something more than the original. The promise of both a new Racoon City and Nemesis is enough to entice me. And in other parts, where the game seems an iterative point-five sequel to RE2, the tweaks and reworkings it offers to the formula manage to invoke a unique vision that's captivating all its own.

Resident Evil 3 is old-school Resi firing on all cylinders (PCGamesN)

If the echoes of Resident Evil 2’s Tyrant – aka, Mr X – stomping around Raccoon City Police Department still send a chill through you, then encounters with Resident Evil 3’s Nemesis will reduce you to a nervous wreck.

Resident Evil 3's remake introduces more action, new moves and meaner enemies (Eurogamer)

The original Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was notably more action-heavy than its predecessor Resident Evil 2. That is also the case here, but if you're concerned about a return to the over-the-top nature of the more shooter-heavy later games, don't be. This is still first and foremost a survival horror experience.

Resident Evil 3's Nemesis Makes Mr. X Feel Like a Pushover

In many ways, Resident Evil 3 feels like more of the same, but when that “same” is the incredible Resident Evil 2 Remake, it’s hard to see this as a negative. With the inclusion of Nemesis and a greater emphasis on scale and maneuverability, Resident Evil 3 feels fresh enough to stand on its own and take an important (quick) step for the series.

I played the Resident Evil 3 remake and the Nemesis kicked my ass (PC Gamer)

After a brief boss battle, in which the Nemesis comes at me with a flamethrower and I empty seemingly hundreds of shotgun shells into him, I finally escape and the demo abruptly ends. Resident Evil 3 doesn't feel as excitingly fresh as the Resident Evil 2 remake did when it was first released, but relocating the action to the wildly different-feeling Raccoon City does enough to set it apart.

Resident Evil 3 feels just as good as Resi 2, except when the Nemesis shows up (GamesRadar+)

I’m not sure I like the Nemesis in Resident Evil 3 Remake. Obviously that’s the point, but he seems to have learned a whole bunch of new tricks that makes Mr. X's relentless stalking feel like a walk in the park. If Resident Evil 2 Remake’s trench coat terminator gave you low grade anxiety as the deafening stomp of his footsteps echoed through the halls of Racoon Police Department, then you’re going to hate his successor. 

I had burned out on RE by the time RE3 came out since I had played RE and RE2 so much; I didn't finish it back then.  I do recall not being a fan of constantly being stalked by Nemesis in 3, so if they've dialed that up, I don't know if I'm gonna jump at the chance to play this one.