Supporters of President Pussy-Grabber get James Gunn fired in retaliation for his political beliefs

Its not like Disney was unaware of Gunn’s past humor. He already had to apologize for some anti-gay and sexist things he said when writing about super heroes before Guardians 1 came out. 

This is the time we live in and Gunn got fucked for something from a decade ago. 

Seriously, companies need to treat Twitter as "untouchable" because people say really, really stupid shit on Twitter. That sort of stuff shouldn't come back to haunt people, no matter how stupid and shitty it is. People go through periods of saying really stupid stuff because of the circumstances that were happening at that particular time. If I'm going through a horrible break up with a girl, chances are I might turn pretty negative towards women in general (I don't usually, but I can see it happening with someone who might). Twitter is one of those "this is how I'm feeling right this moment" platforms. Hell, I've made blog posts in the past that I probably don't stand behind today.

We're hitting a very dangerous period in time where everything anyone says ever is now being treated as ammo to destroy someone's life. If you're consistent in hate speech, then yes, that's an issue. If you said one stupid thing once ten years ago, backlash is going to destroy a lot of every day people.

17 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Seriously, companies need to treat Twitter as "untouchable" because people say really, really stupid shit on Twitter. That sort of stuff shouldn't come back to haunt people, no matter how stupid and shitty it is. People go through periods of saying really stupid stuff because of the circumstances that were happening at that particular time. If I'm going through a horrible break up with a girl, chances are I might turn pretty negative towards women in general (I don't usually, but I can see it happening with someone who might). Twitter is one of those "this is how I'm feeling right this moment" platforms. Hell, I've made blog posts in the past that I probably don't stand behind today.

We're hitting a very dangerous period in time where everything anyone says ever is now being treated as ammo to destroy someone's life. If you're consistent in hate speech, then yes, that's an issue. If you said one stupid thing once ten years ago, backlash is going to destroy a lot of every day people.

Or, people can show some discipline and not feel the need to dump their random, fucked up thoughts on a public forum that they have no control over. If people just started running out into the middle of the street and shouted random stupid shit, we'd think that person had emotional problems or impulse control issues at the very least, right? Twitter is the same thing.  Don't tweet stupid shit if you dont want to be held accountable for it later... it's not that hard.

7 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

Do as a I say but not as I do. IC. Not great things said byt Him and I am not going to defend them. Guy should have deleted those years ago after apologizing the first time publicly. I get it they go low and we go high but they got to go.

As far as I can tell he hadn’t even non-apology apologized for the tweets. He apologized for another stupid blog post he made about the “Top 50 superheroes you’d like to have sex” with that was itself chock full of rape and underage sex jokes, and clearly homophobic language as well.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Or, people can show some discipline and not feel the need to dump their random, fucked up thoughts on a public forum that they have no control over. If people just started running out into the middle of the street and shouted random stupid shit, we'd think that person had emotional problems or impulse control issues at the very least, right? Twitter is the same thing.  Don't tweet stupid shit if you dont want to be held accountable for it later... it's not that hard.

My point is that people make mistakes in their lives. This is a country where we allow ex-felons to be elected for office and constantly give really bad people a second, third and fourth chance. Why is Twitter suddenly the end all of someone's career and life? Again, if it's consistent behavior, I'm fine with backlash. But right now we have Internet trolls combing through EVERYTHING someone they disagree with has said on Twitter since its inception. To me, that's going a bit too far to seek "justice".

7 minutes ago, brucoe said:

My point is that people make mistakes in their lives. This is a country where we allow ex-felons to be elected for office and constantly give really bad people a second, third and fourth chance. Why is Twitter suddenly the end all of someone's career and life? Again, if it's consistent behavior, I'm fine with backlash. But right now we have Internet trolls combing through EVERYTHING someone they disagree with has said on Twitter since its inception. To me, that's going a bit too far to seek "justice".

And my point is don't put yourself in that position in the first place... these are unforced errors.  Folks are posting dumb shit PUBLICLY for some reason and then act surprised when they get held to account for it. YOU did this shit... no one forced you to... for all the attention whores on Twitter, there are plenty of people who use these platforms responsibly... there are also plenty of people who don't use them at all... so yes, it's fucked up that trolls can dig through your digital history in order to use things you may have said against you, what's even more fucked up is that YOU gave them the ammunition to use against you in the first place. It's not like he was taken out of context or it was a one off... he did it. He's gotta wear that and companies should absolutely not give a pass to folks Twitter accounts. Not at all.

And where do felons get second,  third and fourth chances in this country? For the most part if you're a felon and you're not rich and famous, you're fucked.

13 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Gunn’s career with Disney is done, at least for a long while. But the reaction to him getting sacked has me confident that he will still be able to make movies for a very long time. He probably won’t get a second chance with Disney but his career isn’t over. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And my point is don't put yourself in that position in the first place... these are unforced errors.  Folks are posting dumb shit PUBLICLY for some reason and then act surprised when they get held to account for it. YOU did this shit... no one forced you to... for all the attention whores on Twitter, there are plenty of people who use these platforms responsibly... there are also plenty of people who don't use them at all... so yes, it's fucked up that trolls can dig through your digital history in order to use things you may have said against you, what's even more fucked up is that YOU gave them the ammunition to use against you in the first place. It's not like he was taken out of context or it was a one off... he did it. He's gotta wear that and companies should absolutely not give a pass to folks Twitter accounts. Not at all.

And where do felons get second,  third and fourth chances in this country? For the most part if you're a felon and you're not rich and famous, you're fucked.

Let's also note that Gunn isn't a kid or some young guy that was posting this shit. We aren't talking about someone digging up some stupid stuff a teenager posted on Twitter while in high school. Gunn is in his 50s. These were off color jokes by a guy in his 40s. That's well past the age where he should know better.

At a minimum, he should have just deleted all of this stuff when he apologized. There's no need to open yourself up to that kind of scrutiny down the road. This was a grown man bringing these problems upon himself.

On 7/23/2018 at 11:34 AM, Ghost_MH said:

Let's also note that Gunn isn't a kid or some young guy that was posting this shit. We aren't talking about someone digging up some stupid stuff a teenager posted on Twitter while in high school. Gunn is in his 50s. These were off color jokes by a guy in his 40s. That's well past the age where he should know better.

At a minimum, he should have just deleted all of this stuff when he apologized. There's no need to open yourself up to that kind of scrutiny down the road. This was a grown man bringing these problems upon himself.

Quoted because an upvote isn’t enough.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:21 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I agree, but a lot of when this shit is being dug up was a time before people really understood what the future of social media would be like. Even looking back just a couple years, most people didn't really understand the impact that a joke could have on their future.

Tie that together with a society that's so divided, and so eager to be offended by anything and everything, with people being far more chill 10 years ago, and you have old tweets from your run off the mill shock jock causing massive shit storms today.

The shit Gunn said was fucked up, but it's not really all that bad. It's not something the average person would run around screaming in public, but someone who doesn't understand what makes black humor funny, saying it to some people they think might find it funny? I'm going to assume that's mostly what Twitter was to him back then. We've all said jokes that aren't funny, we just all had the privilege of not being famous and have millions of people being able to to scrub damn near everything we've ever said to get us fired. This is what most of the shit that gets dug up is. Off color jokes, made for a small group of people, most of which just missed the mark.

This is why Twitter needs to be deleted. The societal climate and use of Twitter has changed from it's creation. There's like a decade of tweets damn near everyone has that will get them fucked today, most of which aren't anything actually bad (I.E. an actual racist saying racist shit, an actual pedophile promoting pedophilia, etc). Modern Twitter has just become a platform for a bunch of stuff important check marks to start campaigns against anyone they see as an enemy, which will almost certainly result in material that will hurt them today.

Just look up what they have against Patton Oswald. There's a few insensitive things he's said in the past... That aren't even actually what he said. Not as in people faked what he said, just unfortunate formatting structuring his tweets to have an entirely different meaning taken out of context, due to sentences and words being chopped in exactly the wrong places.

So while I agree, tweeting that a black person is a monkey, regardless of what you meant by it, is obviously something you shouldn't do today, there's a lot of other things that where more acceptable 10 years ago that are hurting people today. Also just the general atmosphere of Twitter has become one that seeks out to destroy anyone and everyone to the extent that context is no longer relevant. While you might think you are saying something rather tame, there's people out there that will interpret it as sexist, racist, pro fascism, pro communism, and whatever ist and ism you can think of, and use it to destroy you.

Twitter is cancer. I'm just glad I always found the concept stupid and never got involved.