Switch Users: is there a need for a 2nd joycon?

atom631

I’m amazed at how expensive the joycon is. Even looking at BF sales, it looks like the best it will be is 60 bux. 

It looks like most MP games are geared towards splitting the joycon and each player gets a half. So maybe games where there are 3 or more? 

maybe for smash? 

I would say your best bet is to spend the money on a Pro Controller rather than another set of Joy-Con.  The advantage of the Joy-Con is really more for games that utilize motion controls and HD rumble like Mario Odyssey, Arms, etc.  Unless you will regularly get three other people to play with and local multiplayer is important, it's probably fine to have one set of Joy-Con (which you can either split or use together as one controller) and another Pro Controller.  I would also say that the Pro is one of the most comfortable controllers I've used, and I find it hard to go back to the Joy-Con at least as far as TV play is concerned.

If you don't have a pro controller, I'd go for that one. That'll let you get into some three player local gaming or afford two people full controllers for some couch co-op. I do have multiple joy cons, but that was mostly for stuff like 4 player Mario Party.

Another alternative, if you want an extra controller for multiplayer gaming is to pick up one of 8BitDo's gamepads. They're great, feel good, and work perfectly on the Switch. You don't get motion controls or rumble, but they work great for games like Smash Bros.

I’m thinking more along the lines of my kids and their friends. if they want to play local MP/coop then maybe another joycon is ideal so they can have 4 people play. I do plan on getting them mario party and smash for Xmas. I just grabbed mario kart and 2 wheels for $50 from Walmart. That seemed like a good deal. 

The Mario Party on the Switch kinda sucks, but you will need 1 joycon per person to play I think. For smash, everyone should have a GC controller or pro controller IMO, but kinds won't care as much. I couldn't imagine only using 1 joycon to play smash tho. Seems like a bad time. I wouldn't have accepted that 8 years old. 

I have a second set of joycons but haven't even opened them.  The original joycons never come de-attached from the system; I only use them when using the console in handheld mode. Every game I play in docked mode or multiplayer I use pro-controllers.  Maybe I just haven't gotten any games that *need* joycons?  But having had the system since launch it's never come up.  I think Mario Party was the lone exception.