Half Life: Alyx - Information Thread, update: "BioShock" mod is now a full-length campaign

DarkStar189

Return to Half-Life in VR, March 2020.

https://half-life.com/alyx

Available for pre-purchase on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/546560/HalfLife_Alyx/?snr=1_4_4__118

Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Alyx is a new full-length game built from the ground up by Valve for virtual reality.

Awesome to see some real AAA effort being put into a VR game. I haven’t tried storm land yet, but Lone Echo is one of my favorite games of recent years. Great VR is pretty much the best gaming has to offer, it’s just so infrequent.

That said, I really need to find some way to be less motion sick in VR. I hate teleportation, but at least it doesn’t make me sick like smooth motion does, but it sure seems like this is very much made for smooth motion despite providing options for dash/teleport. Still, you can tell from the trailer that in at least some parts of it they’ve come up with reasons to keep you in one place.

It’s great that Valve is being so up front about their support for various platforms. I think those in the know would assume that any Valve game would work on all platforms supported by Steam VR, but it’s nice that they’re very clear they support Oculus, Windows MR, and even Quest+Link. It does seem that they’re doing some fun stuff with finger tracking if you’ve got the fancy knuckles controllers.

Also, there’s a zero percent chance the gravity gun doesn’t make it in, right?

Pretty cool that Valve is going to launch with mod support. It’s a real shame they make games so infrequently. They seem like they’re pretty good at it when they try.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Also, there’s a zero percent chance the gravity gun doesn’t make it in, right?

It looked like your hands have something built on to them that sucks things to your hands. At one point it looked like she pulled something off a soldier from a short distance. Maybe through the game it evolves. Built in gravity gun. 

10 minutes ago, brandino said:

Any news of a non VR version? I won't be able to get a VR setup for a long time.

in the final hours video above it is clear this is VR only, they built the mechanics and interactions around VR interface and you can't control it with a mouse and keyboard

4 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

It looked like your hands have something built on to them that sucks things to your hands. At one point it looked like she pulled something off a soldier from a short distance. Maybe through the game it evolves. Built in gravity gun. 

You are correct. I believe they were called “grabbity gloves” in some of the leaked info. 

• Haha 2