Fuck yes I'm getting to kick Charter/Spectrum to the curb next week.

Jason

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

After the introductory price expires, I always switch the service to a different name and sign another 2 contract.  

Yeah if I lived with someone I'd definitely go back and forth with changing whose name the service is in to keep getting the new customer offer. 

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I'm in the same boat. Actually, it was $65 for a while, and now it's going up to $70. I would switch, but there aren't any good alternatives. 

We can't switch here because the cable companies own territories so some cities get Spectrum and some cities get Cox.

Well I don't know if "own" is the right word but I think you catch my drift. :p

The only slightly annoying part was that I thought they could connect me over the existing coax, so I didn't plan ahead and buy a wifi adapter for my desktop. But then it turned out it has to come in through the phone line, and I couldn't get my existing router to work in bridge mode, so the installation guy had to lay a bunch of extra cat 6, which there really wasn't any good path for--in fact I set up my apartment when I first moved in in large part based on where the coax comes in.

2 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

who or what is starry?

On 11/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, Jason said:

I'm getting Starry installed on Wednesday. 200 Mbps symmetrical connection for $50 a month. Charter just increased me to $90 per month for my 200/20 plan. Really looking forward to canceling those fuckers. :santasun:

25 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

:demut:

It's 5G internet, except instead of beaming from a lamp post directly into your apartment, it beams from a tower attached to a nearby building to a receiver on your building's roof, and then runs into your apartment using existing wiring. 

• Thanks 1

Also I do unfortunately have to pay one last month to Charter, but that's not necessarily the worst thing in the world since I can give it a couple of weeks to make sure Starry works consistently before having the service terminated. Plus I'm getting two months free from Starry so I'll still have one month $90, one month free, then $50/month.

Hopefully I don't have issues with the fact that I had my own modem. When I moved out of my place in Arlington, I had a nightmare situation with Comcast insisting I owed them a modem despite the fact that I'd had my own modem. :/

So now of course, once I've already had holes punched into my wall to keep the cat 6 strung along it in place, the fucking router bridge finally decides to work.

The silver lining here is I'm only pulling like 75 down/90 up using the router as a bridge so I probably would have wanted to go hardwire anyhow. And it's definitely the bridge router and not Starry's router because my phone is pulling down 170 just fine.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:39 PM, Jason said:

Plus I'm getting two months free from Starry so I'll still have one month $90, one month free, then $50/month.

So actually it turns out that they pay early termination fees up to $200, and that the final bill you're on the hook for before switching overs counts. So I have to pay $89 to Charter now but won't have to pay anything to Starry until I owe them $11 in March. :santasun::santasun::santasun:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8811953726.png

Tried to post picture of speed result but failed. Link is for spectrum and it's wireless but @69.99 a bit steep. I's love a Gig download speed but honestly this 200+mb has been great, can't wait to run a few Ethernet cables in the new house so the whole thing will be wired and more stable. I do usually get well over 300 though so it is what it is . . . .