Trump intervenes in three military justice cases involving war-crimes accusations, issuing pardons

Jason

The thing is...a pardon doesn't exonerate someone. They are still guilty (and publicly known, at that) of whatever crime they were convicted of. In fact, being pardoned acknowledges the guilt as a precondition of receiving it. The pardon simply lets them ignore the legal consequences of the guilt. Any other consequences (from employers, society, etc) is fair game.

47 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Secretary of the Navy and the Commander of Naval Special Warfare are threatening to resign. 

They SHOULD resign...

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Resigning doesn't help matters because he'll just appoint someone who will do what he wants. Instead of quitting they need to maybe stand up to the president.

except for this. WE ARE SO FUCKED.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Resigning doesn't help matters because he'll just appoint someone who will do what he wants. Instead of quitting they need to maybe stand up to the president.

I’m not sure the top military guys want to suggest to everybody else in the chain of command that you can simply ignore the legal orders of superiors because you disagree.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:49 PM, CitizenVectron said:

The thing is...a pardon doesn't exonerate someone. They are still guilty (and publicly known, at that) of whatever crime they were convicted of. In fact, being pardoned acknowledges the guilt as a precondition of receiving it. The pardon simply lets them ignore the legal consequences of the guilt.

I don’t think this is correct with regards to military justice and the POTUS. I think the conviction to one guy (that took of photo with a dead ISIS fighter) was actually expunged, and another had the prosecution ended before he could be convicted. I could be most understanding that, but it isn’t quite like civilian court convictions.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

The couple of threads I checked on military subreddits seem to be almost unanimously against this firing.

Iirc polls I've seen of active duty guys show Trump with a much lower approval than typical Republicans have historically gotten.

And fwiw, in donations Bernie is cleaning up from actives. (But Bernie also cleans up in younger people anyway)

Defense secretary says Trump ordered him to allow SEAL in war crimes case to keep status

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Monday that President Donald Trump had directed him to allow a Navy SEAL acquitted of war crimes to retire without losing his elite status.

Esper told reporters during a Pentagon briefing that Trump gave him a direct order to drop disciplinary action against Chief Petty Officer Eddie Gallagher, who was prosecuted by the Navy and later acquitted of war crimes. The decision means Gallagher will be allowed to retire without losing his gold eagle Trident emblem, which signifies that a service member is part of one of the Navy's elite Special Warfare Navy Sea, Air and Land units, or SEALs.

Gallagher's case created friction between Trump and the Navy and led to the firing of Navy Secretary Richard Spencer. Trump frequently spoke out about the case, accusing the department of mishandling disciplinary action against Gallagher.

Gallagher, a decorated officer and 19-year veteran, was accused of fatally stabbing a young wounded fighter for the Islamic State militant group, posing for a picture with the corpse and shooting two civilians from a sniper's perch in Iraq in 2017.