Everwild (new Rare IP) - Information thread, update: "Eternals" Trailer

Pikachu

Saw a comment that shares my views of trailer

Generic indie flat-shaded style
Generic indie 'fantasy' animals that are just normal animals with some brightly colored vague magical bits
Generic indie soundtrack of one female vocalist making drawn-out 'ah' noises

Cinematic trailer with no hint of gameplay, but looks like it's going to be an empty open world

Looks like another generic overdramatic indie game

• 8 months later...

Rare hasn’t discussed Everwild much ‘because it’s still playing around with gameplay ideas

“So the notion of, ‘What does it mean to nurture a world? What does it mean to be in nature?’

“Part of the reason we haven’t talked a lot about Everwild is because we’re still feeling a lot of these things out. We’re still playing around with gameplay ideas.

“We’ll have plenty to say in the future on that, but … we have an idea we feel really passionate about, and we think there’s something special. I have a team of people that wake up every morning with the desire to make this game that they’re really, really passionate about.”

Oh.  I see.

• 10 months later...

An indie team could be a lot more flexible with this if no combat was (or still is?) a mandate.  A short 5-10 hour experience would be most ideal or that.  It’s rare to see big budget AAA go there with a longer game.

Personally, I’d rather see them make a BoTW clone and be done with it.  The art is striking enough to hold its own, and I’m sure they could work some sort of save nature vs sacrifice nature dichotomy into that structure.