Disney Plus issues trigger warning for 'outdated cultural depictions' in classic movies

Disney Plus issues trigger warning for 'outdated cultural depictions' in classic movies

Disney’s new streaming service has added a trigger warning to certain classic movies like “The Jungle Book” and “Lady and the Tramp” to address possible “outdated cultural depictions” that could offend viewers.

Disney Plus, which launched Tuesday amid a host of technical issues, issued a disclaimer on some decades-old movies that reads, “This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions.”

The warning appears in the movie descriptions for “Dumbo,” “The Jungle Book” and “Lady and the Tramp,” among others that have faced criticism for depicting racial stereotypes.

One 1946 film titled, “Song of the South,” isn’t featured at all on the streaming service, presumably due to its controversial portrayal of black Americans.

Apparently Disney cartoons are too racist for today's Millennials to watch without getting triggered.

• Guillotine 3

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Apparently Disney cartoons are too racist for today's Millennials to watch without getting triggered.

WB has a disclaimer on all its old cartoons as well. I think it’s a good thing. It’s companies acknowledging their past and the missteps they took. 

Disney is super protective of  their image, and often that means scrubbing or retelling their own past.

Maybe I’m being paranoid, but I think part of the long plan with Disney ditching their vault in favor of streaming is so they’ll have full control of their own content once families start ditching their physical copies of Disney movies in favor of Disney+. If they want to edit out portions of Peter Pan in 5 years, it will be significantly easier for them than it would be now.

14 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Disney is super protective of  their image, and often that means scrubbing or retelling their own past.

Maybe I’m being paranoid, but I think part of the long plan with Disney ditching their vault in favor of streaming is so they’ll have full control of their own content once families start ditching their physical copies of Disney movies in favor of Disney+. If they want to edit out portions of Peter Pan in 5 years, it will be significantly easier for them than it would be now.

indeed Disney does like to edit their history

That's not a trigger warning, and it's problematic of you to refer to it as such. Trigger warnings are a real thing for certain panic-inducing events, and by referring to every warning you disagree with by that name you cheapen the very real situation many people with PTSD are in.

I could be wrong, but I think @SFLUFAN has said something about this in the past as well.

The very use of the word triggered is insulting to people who suffer from PTSD when used in this way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's not a trigger warning, and it's problematic of you to refer to it as such. Trigger warnings are a real thing for certain panic-inducing events, and by referring to every warning you disagree with by that name you cheapen the very real situation many people with PTSD are in.

I could be wrong, but I think @SFLUFAN has said something about this in the past as well.

The very use of the word triggered is insulting to people who suffer from PTSD when used in this way.

I was too lazy to address it but I feel the same way. Well said.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

This sounds like you are directing this towards @AbsolutSurgen but he just copied and pasted. At least for the title anyways. Maybe you aren't but that was how I read it. 

bc8caaa8075251da81cc5c8a62f77410.png

• Thanks 1

Warnings are fine and fair, so this doesn't mean much. It's when companies deliberately scrub away things from past works that there's real trouble. How long ago was it when some book publishers were announcing they were going to remove the n-word from Huckleberry Finn books, and where did that lead? People were all shouting about the massive disrespect to the real people who lived that life and suffered with that terminology, let alone altering a classic work created by Mark Twain...

FWIW I love Song of the South. I know, looking back as an adult, all of its now obvious problems (I mean, it has a literal tar baby for fuck's sake) . But I remember watching it as a kid and at the time I didn't pick up on any of that. It just didn't register in that way, you know? It was just a happy movie with cartoon birds and wacky 'ol Br'ers Rabbit, Fox and Bear getting into hijinx. It was one of my favorites growing up. And I maintain that "Zip-i-dee-doo-dah" is one of the best Disney songs of all time. I knew there was zero chance of it being rereleased on Disney+, but I'm still just a tad bummed they didn't do it. Warnings, a long overdue mea culpa, maybe a forward from a film historian, and a chance for education is better than pretending it never happened IMO.