RTX 2060 now before Ampere?

HalfJoey

I was planning a new build with Nvidia Ampere before Cyberpunk 2077 releases in April. Because Ampere most likely won't come out until June, I need a GPU as a stop gap between now and Ampere's release. I'm using a 660Ti with an Intel 2500k so PC gaming has been a little rough, I've just been avoiding it.

I'm looking for a good 1080p card now to play my backlog then in April, when I make a new PC build, I plan on jumping to 1440p.

Think an RTX 2060 would work well for me as a stop gap between now and when a 2080 equivalent Ampere comes out? 

I was also considering an RTX 2070 and waiting until 2021 maybe. Cyberpunk 2077 at maybe 1440p 60fps is the end goal.

There have been some decent deals on the 2060s lately.

5 minutes ago, HalfJoey said:

I’m leaning towards a 5700 XT now. There are some decent bonuses on Newegg and the 5700 is a quicker card. I don’t care about ray tracing right now. 

I love mine. It does get mad hot so sometimes I have to unplug my monitor and use a different display port. The aftermarket models should have that fixed.

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Thats tempting and 1080Ti is a beast and usaully beats the 5700XT but deals on Newegg for a $399 5700 XT include Borderlands 3 + 3 months of MS Game Pass. Plus I've never been into buying used or refurb hardware. thank you

23 minutes ago, HalfJoey said:

Thats tempting and 1080Ti is a beast and usaully beats the 5700XT but deals on Newegg for a $399 5700 XT include Borderlands 3 + 3 months of MS Game Pass. Plus I've never been into buying used or refurb hardware. thank you

It’s manufacturer refurbished, which means anything that was wrong with it was replaced with brand new oem parts, so, it’s basically new. :p 

23 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s manufacturer refurbished, which means anything that was wrong with it was replaced with brand new oem parts, so, it’s basically new. :p 

You're more optimistic than I am.  If the card is a relatively recent release, you're probably right.

On an older card like a 1080Ti, it could have been running an OC at a mining operation for 24hrs a day for two years.  You could be buying something that, while it works now, is severely compromised going forward.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're more optimistic than I am.  If the card is a relatively recent release, you're probably right.

On an older card like a 1080Ti, it could have been running an OC at a mining operation for 24hrs a day for two years.  You could be buying something that, while it works now, is severely compromised going forward.

I thought there was a 1 year warranty on those? I know that’s what EVGA gives on refurbs

At only 1080p and paired with a 2500k, I would suggest going as cheap as possible and then replacing everything in April.  That's still 6 months away, and AMD has yet to release their full lineup of Navi cards.  We most likely will not see a huge price drop or price war, but the needle should move in our favor.  The way I see it is the 2500k is going to hold you back more in the games your system will struggle with, and games which happen to run fine on a 2500k won't need a beastly graphics card anyway to hit smooth framerates.  I'm not sure what you mean by backlog - how far back does it go - but if you're trying to play games released within the last 2 years they pretty much all murder 4 core CPUs.

A GTX 1060-class card is great for 1080p, and can be found on eBay for insane prices.  If you only want to consider new, the Radeon RX 570 and 580 are one of the best values and adequate for 1080p.

15 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

At only 1080p and paired with a 2500k, I would suggest going as cheap as possible and then replacing everything in April.  That's still 6 months away, and AMD has yet to release their full lineup of Navi cards.  We most likely will not see a huge price drop or price war, but the needle should move in our favor.  The way I see it is the 2500k is going to hold you back more in the games your system will struggle with, and games which happen to run fine on a 2500k won't need a beastly graphics card anyway to hit smooth framerates.  I'm not sure what you mean by backlog - how far back does it go - but if you're trying to play games released within the last 2 years they pretty much all murder 4 core CPUs.

A GTX 1060-class card is great for 1080p, and can be found on eBay for insane prices.  If you only want to consider new, the Radeon RX 570 and 580 are one of the best values and adequate for 1080p.

I came to a similar conclusion so I held off on a purchase. I was thinking about just waiting until my new build in April, even though GPUs might not be any different, but now you that mentioned GTX 1060 Ebay prices I might look into a 6GB used version of the card. It looks like I can get 60FPS in most games at high detail in 1080p

I knew there would be a FPS bottle neck with the 2500k, but thought I could power through it for 6 months. (if I didnt get stuttering)

My concern is still that I will buy a used GTX 1060 now for $120, then in April, after i build a new system, I will be buying a 5700XT for $399, the same price it is now. The only hope I have are price drops, but thats not very likely in April. I guess I could save for a RTX 2070 or 2080 and that should be good for a couple years at 1440p. Maybe if the 2080Ti Super comes out it will lower prices of other RTX cards, but I cant get my hopes up about that.

2 hours ago, legend said:

If Nvidia doesn't release new cards by April I'm going to be in a real pickle.

We'll be in a pickle together.

I had my hopes up for Ampere in March/April, but rumors right now are saying Ampere is June 2020 and a 2080Ti refresh could arrive in March/April. That does make more sense from Nvidia typical release schedule. If I build in April its going to be whatever can get me 60fps @ 1440p high/ultra settings in Cyberpunk. 

3 hours ago, HalfJoey said:

I came to a similar conclusion so I held off on a purchase. I was thinking about just waiting until my new build in April, even though GPUs might not be any different, but now you that mentioned GTX 1060 Ebay prices I might look into a 6GB used version of the card. It looks like I can get 60FPS in most games at high detail in 1080p

I knew there would be a FPS bottle neck with the 2500k, but thought I could power through it for 6 months. (if I didnt get stuttering)

My concern is still that I will buy a used GTX 1060 now for $120, then in April, after i build a new system, I will be buying a 5700XT for $399, the same price it is now. The only hope I have are price drops, but thats not very likely in April. I guess I could save for a RTX 2070 or 2080 and that should be good for a couple years at 1440p. Maybe if the 2080Ti Super comes out it will lower prices of other RTX cards, but I cant get my hopes up about that.

I have a 1060 3GB hooked up to a 1080p TV and it does really well.  I would definitely spring for a card with 4GB or more VRAM, because there are a handful of games that the 3GB 1060 just fails while the 6GB version flies.

Another consideration is the RX 580 8GB version.  It can probably handle 1440p well enough until new cards do actually come out, and it's well under $200. A very good value.  So you could upgrade your system in April as planned, and then wait for Ampere.  Same could be said for the 1060 6GB if you can live with medium or some low settings.  Or you could always render the game at 1080p and upscale to 1440p.

It's definitely harder to predict GPU prices these days.  The cycle between new cards is getting longer.  And AMD has figured out that they shouldn't undercut Nvidia by a lot, like they did 10+ years ago with the HD 4870 and 5870 releases.  Both companies are trying to maximize the profit margin on each card sold now.  But competition is still getting us better value, just not by a lot.  When the 5700 XT was about to launch, AMD was going to price it the same as the RTX 2070.  But then Nvidia releases the 2070 Super at the same price as the 2070, to replace it, and that forced AMD to lower the 5700 prices by $50 than what they initially wanted to do.  So maybe we'll see more of that if/when AMD releases more Navi cards, of which I have no idea of the timeframe.

There could be some mild sales on a 2070 Super or 2080 come Cyber Monday, too.

But since your goal is Cyberpunk @ 60 fps, I do think it's prudent to wait and see what the requirements of the game will be.  Even better would be waiting for benchmarks.

18 minutes ago, HalfJoey said:

We'll be in a pickle together.

I had my hopes up for Ampere in March/April, but rumors right now are saying Ampere is June 2020 and a 2080Ti refresh could arrive in March/April. That does make more sense from Nvidia typical release schedule. If I build in April its going to be whatever can get me 60fps @ 1440p high/ultra settings in Cyberpunk. 

Yeah I think I might also build the computer I want, but with a temporarily weaker card and then upgrade if they aren't there in time, because I think my Cyberpunk experience would still benefit from a weaker card, but an all around better computer (than what I have now). I'm pretty sure my CPU is the limiting factor for me in modern games right now.

4 hours ago, legend said:

Yeah I think I might also build the computer I want, but with a temporarily weaker card and then upgrade if they aren't there in time, because I think my Cyberpunk experience would still benefit from a weaker card, but an all around better computer (than what I have now). I'm pretty sure my CPU is the limiting factor for me in modern games right now.

Is your processor as slow as mine? how does it perform in games now?

I was gonna wait until Intel releases their 10700k or whatever AMD release thats equivalent. That's dependant on a March/April release.

Now I'm leaning back to getting a 5700XT... But I dont want to build a new PC only to know my GPU is a half measure and see all the cool kids playing with their Ampere GPUs in July.

At the same time I'm probably hyping Ampere up in my head.

13 hours ago, HalfJoey said:

Is your processor as slow as mine? how does it perform in games now?

I was gonna wait until Intel releases their 10700k or whatever AMD release thats equivalent. That's dependant on a March/April release.

Now I'm leaning back to getting a 5700XT... But I dont want to build a new PC only to know my GPU is a half measure and see all the cool kids playing with their Ampere GPUs in July.

At the same time I'm probably hyping Ampere up in my head.

My CPU is better, but not enough. It's an i5 4670. Problem is it's just slow enough that demanding games often come up a few frames short of 60fps, and I absolutely loathe microstutter (I'd rather have a locked 30). The newer assassin creed games, for example, are bottle necked by my CPU enough that no video settings will let it hit a stable 60fps.

The main reason I want Ampere is not so much that I'm expecting it to be much better than the current cards, but because I want HDMI 2.1 since I game on my TV.