NFL Will Hold a Workout for Colin Kaepernick in Atlanta on Saturday

Keyser_Soze

The NFL has arranged a private workout for ex-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick on Saturday that all 32 teams are invited to attend.

The 32-year-old has not played since the 2016 season, when he began kneeling for the national anthem in protest against racial injustice in the USA.

The workout in Atlanta will include on-field work and an interview.

The NFL said that several teams have asked about Kaepernick's readiness to play, with the player keen to return.

"I've been in shape and ready for this for three years, can't wait to see the head coaches and GMs (general managers) on Saturday," he said.

The league has discussed possible steps with Kaepernick's camp and decided on a workout run by scouting combine personnel and former NFL coaches.

Video of both the on-field work and interview will be made available to all 32 teams, although any teams present can hold their own interviews with Kaepernick, who led the 49ers to Super Bowl 47.

In October 2017, Kaepernick filed a grievance against NFL team owners he believed were conspiring not to hire him.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/50399780

"...can’t wait to see the head coaches and GMs on Saturday"

Except he won't.  It's a Saturday on a game weekend.  Half the teams in the League are traveling so the head coaches won't be available, the workout is in Atlanta but the Falcons are traveling so they won't even be there, and for the half that aren't traveling, those coaches aren't gonna fly across the country to watch a workout and fly back the day before a game when they have game prep to do.  This is why workouts like this are usually held mid-week.  He's going to see a handful of assistants and scouting dudes, at best. This reeks of the League just doing something so they can say they did.

2 hours ago, Slug said:

"...can’t wait to see the head coaches and GMs on Saturday"

Except he won't.  It's a Saturday on a game weekend.  Half the teams in the League are traveling so the head coaches won't be available, the workout is in Atlanta but the Falcons are traveling so they won't even be there, and for the half that aren't traveling, those coaches aren't gonna fly across the country to watch a workout and fly back the day before a game when they have game prep to do.  This is why workouts like this are usually held mid-week.  He's going to see a handful of assistants and scouting dudes, at best. This reeks of the League just doing something so they can say they did.

He asked for it to be mid-week and they said no. He asked for it to be later on Saturday and they said no lol. I hope this turns out well for him but something stinks about this. 

Let's just go through the list, and see if Kaepernick would be an upgrade. Here's the key:

No - not an upgrade 

Young - Kap might be an upgrade, but the team has a young qb they want to develop 

Tank - team is trying to lose

Yes - Kap would be an upgrade

Snyder - team owned by Dan Snyder, so who the fuck knows what they are doing

AFC East

Pats - no

Bills - young

Jets - young

Miami - tank

AFC North

Ravens - no

Steelers- yes

Bengals - yes? Tank?

Browns - young

AFC South 

Colts - yes

Texans - no

Jaguars - yes

Titans - yes

AFC West

Chargers - no

Broncos - yes

Chiefs - no

Raiders - yes

NFC East

Cowboys - no

Giants - young 

Eagles - no

Redskins - Snyder

NFC North

Vikings - no (before the past few weeks I would have said yes :p)

Packers - no

Bears - yes, dear god yes

Lions - no

NFC South

Bucs - yes

Falcons - no

Panthers - yes 

Saints- no

NFC West

Cardinals - young

Rams - no...

49ers - no

Seahawks - hell no

By my count, he'd be an upgrade for 9 teams.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think your list is off and maybe I'd change these

Jets - Young but sucks so change to yes

Chargers - Rivers is fine but how much time does he have left, Change to yes

Colts: No, Jacoby GOAT

Raiders: Carr arguably fine

Panthers, doing fine also: Young

Darnold sucks...but Gase is his coach. He can't be expected to succeed in that situation. 

Yeah you're right about the Chargers.

Jacoby is fine, but nothing special.

Carr is eh.

I'll be honest, I don't know how good Allen is doing.

I think it's hard to say how many teams he'd be a starter on, especially since he hasn't played in so long. I would be shocked if he isn't worth a roster spot on a bunch of teams though.

I'm kinda surprised that the NFL is doing anything now. Anyone have a sense of what the deal is with the timing? I figured by this point they'd just try and pretend he doesn't exist for the rest of time.

32 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm kinda surprised that the NFL is doing anything now. Anyone have a sense of what the deal is with the timing? I figured by this point they'd just try and pretend he doesn't exist for the rest of time.

Some owners/scouts/whoever said, "What's going on with Colin Kaepernick" and since they've been living under a rock NFL is like hey this is the guy.

I think the bigger deal is the "interview" he's going to have.

It looks like the NFL wanted to get Kap to sign some waiver that would have screwed him over and that was the only reason for this whole workout...

The NFL made some attempts to cover for those efforts, of course. In a release on Saturday expressing disappointment at Kaepernick pulling out of the league’s workout, the NFL acknowledged the waiver being a point of contention. There was a key phrase contained in the release. Here’s what the NFL said:

“On Wednesday, we sent Colin’s representatives a standard liability waiver based on the waiver used by National Invitational Camp at all NFL Combines and by NFL clubs when trying out free agent players. At noon today, Colin’s representatives sent a completely rewritten and insufficient waiver.”

Note the phrase “based on the waiver used by National Invitational Camp at all NFL Combines”. Two words – “based on” – are very interesting.

Here’s why the league had to include them: The NFL used an outside law firm to craft the release for this event. Despite the suggestion in its release, it didn’t use typical language in liability waivers. Instead, it went a step further and created its own.

Why? I’m willing to bet that it had everything to do with inserting clauses that could allow the NFL to evade future litigation tied to employment claims.

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

While true, the phrase "a standard liability waiver based on the waiver" is very much not accidental wording.

Correct, the guy then goes to invent what the waiver was. You would think he read it himself if you weren’t paying close enough attention.

This was a scam by the NFL. People like Stephen A. hating on Kap should be ashamed to be on their knees for the NFL. These same people hating that he changed the workout are the ones showing the clips from the workout that wouldn’t be available to them had things gone to plan. 

“not good enough for the NFL” my ass