Started a new job today

TheLeon

For almost as long as this forum has existed, being Target Guy has been an established part of my identity. I am now Kroger Guy. More importantly I'll be working in a warehouse, not a store, which was slowly destroying my soul. This should be a much better fit for me, and I'll have a lot more opportunities here. :sun:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

For almost as long as this forum has existed, being Target Guy has been an established part of my identity. I am now Kroger Guy. More importantly I'll be working in a warehouse, not a store, which was slowly destroying my soul. This should be a much better fit for me, and I'll have a lot more opportunities here. :sun:

Nice man! Hope you excel at this job and make lots of money. 

• 7 months later...

It's kinda miserable. I work with a bunch of assholes that only care about their time. We have incentive pay, so the faster you work the more you get paid. That's kinda the appeal of this particular position. If you have the stamina and can work at fast pace, you make more money than the supervisors. I usually end up at about 105%, which puts me at about $19 an hour. So it's still way than I was making at Target, and I've been able to clear out my debt and start actually using my savings account. There's also been a lot of overtime recently, something I almost never got at Target. The tricky part is that it isn't optional. Each shift goes until the workload is done, and we've been understaffed recently, so there have been a lot of 10+ hour nights. We get a lot of new people each week, but it's a really physically demanding job, so a lot of people can't keep up and don't stick around. 

I've been working second shift, which on the refrigerated side. I'm considering moving to first shift, which is in the freezer. It's a smaller space with fewer people, and most of the cases you're stacking are lighter and easier to handle. They supply you with enough cold weather equipment that the cold isn't too bad. And in the times I've helped out in there, I've noticed that most of the workers are little more mature. 

It's probably better overall, but I don't know how much longer I can do it. It's really putting a strain on my body. 

I think if I had been able to just stay in the backroom at Target, I would have stayed there. But early last year they restructured things so that we didn't really have a dedicated backroom team any more. Everyone works on the floor and in the back, which is stupid, and that got me to start looking at other places. 

In theory, this is a better place if I want to make a career out of it. Kroger is big on promoting from within, and they're based here in Cincinnati. So even if I don't move up in management at this site, there are plenty of other places I could go. Next year they're opening a new automated facility deep in the suburbs that sounds like a good place to be. When they start hiring for that I'm going to try to apply for some kind of team lead position there. By then I'll have a year of good attendance/performance, so hopefully I'll be able to move up. 

I interviewed yesterday for my first teaching position and was offered the job today. I'll be teaching 7-8 year old children as a full time, permanent staff member from September. After deciding on a career change, working in schools and part time, going back to university and actually getting a job, it's been pretty full on, only made more so now with being a first-time father in September as well. Having a wine and some Thai food to celebrate. 

36 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I interviewed yesterday for my first teaching position and was offered the job today. I'll be teaching 7-8 year old children as a full time, permanent staff member from September. After deciding on a career change, working in schools and part time, going back to university and actually getting a job, it's been pretty full on, only made more so now with being a first-time father in September as well. Having a wine and some Thai food to celebrate. 

:clap:

7 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

It's striking me that it seems normal to say you're having "a beer" or "a Scotch" but "a wine" somehow sounds super weird.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

To continue the hijack of his thread. Contract signed, classroom set up and half my work prep finished. We also had the great news that teachers are receiving a pay increase, so I’m now getting paid about £1300 more per year than I expected.

If you're such a great teacher why don't you teach me something? :nottalking:

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you're such a great teacher why don't you teach me something? :nottalking:

@Keyser_Soze, today we will be learning about the 'birds and the bees'. Now, who has heard of this particular phrase before? Good ideas, though we didn't have the correct one. It means reproduction. If you're unsure of the process for this, we'll walk through it now. If you are, you can show me what you know when I ask a question and you put your hands in the air to show me you want to give an answer. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

@Keyser_Soze, today we will be learning about the 'birds and the bees'. Now, who has heard of this particular phrase before? Good ideas, though we didn't have the correct one. It means reproduction. If you're unsure of the process for this, we'll walk through it now. If you are, you can show me what you know when I ask a question and you put your hands in the air to show me you want to give an answer. 

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm this is actually a very complicated subject in America. Some parents even opt out of teaching their children this. :thinking:

Back in early July I started a new position at the same place. I'm now an auditor. It's pretty boring. I check orders to make sure everything is there. It's a bit of a pay cut (same base as before but no incentive pay), but there are perks. It's much easier on my body, it's a more laid back position, and we have a set end time. I can stay late to help out if I want, and I do sometimes, but we get to leave after 8 hours every night.

What's really fun is that the other second shift auditors are two of the laziest people I've ever met. All I have to do is show up on time and put in a basic effort, and I make them look bad. I'm now getting all this attention from supervisors who wouldn't have been able to pick me out of a lineup two months ago because of all the work I'm getting done. The next time a team lead position opens up, I'll probably be able to get it, just because my competition is so shitty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

Given that working from home is here for the foreseeable, if I had a job that I could work OT, I’d be all over it.

I'm salary, but we've been having incentives for doing particular things. Most days I've been able to earn an extra thousand bucks or so...before dem taxes. 

17 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I'm salary, but we've been having incentives for doing particular things. Most days I've been able to earn an extra thousand bucks or so...before dem taxes. 

I wish i could work from home! I'm still having to go to work like nothing has happened having to deal with the same bullshit customer problems.