500gb Crucial MX500

1tb ADATA SU800

2tb ADATA SU800

2tb 7200rpm HGST HDD

2tb 7200rpm WD Black HDD

4tb 5400rpm WD Green HDD

6x LL140 Corsair Fans

Ryzen 7 3800X

16gb 3200 CL14 RAM (just ordered 32gb to replace it for virtual machines and 4k video editing)

GTX 1080ti

256gb WD Black NVMe SSD

960gb Samsung SSD for games

Other data HDDs

Cooler Master MAster Liquid 240

Phanteks Enthoo Pro case

Corsair RM850x PSU

Windows 10 pro

I have: 

16 GB DDR3

an i5-4690k 

an Asus X97-e motherboard

an a radeon R9 390x graphics card.

I never really understood the rankings of cards - like people always say they have like a "1080" or whatever, and I dunno if that's just Nvidia vernacular or what. 

At the time my card was pretty good. It's still holding up well for me.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I never really understood the rankings of cards - like people always say they have like a "1080" or whatever, and I dunno if that's just Nvidia vernacular or what.

Uh it's the model of the graphics card, like 1080 / Titan was top of the line and if you had like 980 then you had a step below (older) card

I have a Dell Laptop I bought two years ago for video editing on the go that seems to play games ok... I guess it has decent specs:

i7-7700- @2.8GHZ

16GB Ram

GTX 1050

500 GB internal HD but I plan on picking up an external SSD or two this black Friday. Any suggestions?

This is decent for gaming, right? Seems so so far though I don't do much gaming on it. It's a sexy laptop though :p

33 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I have a Dell Laptop I bought two years ago for video editing on the go that seems to play games ok... I guess it has decent specs:

i7-7700- @2.8GHZ

16GB Ram

GTX 1050

500 GB internal HD but I plan on picking up an external SSD or two this black Friday. Any suggestions?

This is decent for gaming, right? Seems so so far though I don't do much gaming on it. It's a sexy laptop though :p

Its a sub 1080p gaming laptop for more graphic intensive games, it would be fine for something like Doom or Overwatch .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Uh it's the model of the graphics card, like 1080 / Titan was top of the line and if you had like 980 then you had a step below (older) card

I wasn’t clear in my post - I’m now like versed in like the 1080 and 900 series ones, but I feel like before those came along people used a similar numbering system. 

But maybe I just am remembering wrong.  

36 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

But maybe I just am remembering wrong.  

You are. It’s been like this since 2002.

Prior to the GeForce GTX 9xx series there was a 7xx series, a 6xx series, a 5xx series, a 4xx series, a 3xx series, a 2xx series, and a 1xx series. Before it became the GeForce GTX (and eventually just “GTX”) it was still just “GeForce”, the first being the GeForce 256 SDR and DDR models, then the GeForce 2 series, followed by the GeForce 3. After the 3-series, they began using 4-digit numbers to better differentiate the differences between models of the same series (instead of MX, GTS, Pro, Ultra, etc - they did experiment with this on the 3-series refresh with the low and top-end cards being the GeForce 3 Ti 200 and Ti 500). For the 4-series in 2002 there was the GeForce Ti 4200, 4400 and 4600, and they stayed with a similar numbering system from the 4xxx through the 9xxx series, then dropping a digit for the 1xx cards.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

You are. It’s been like this since 2002.

Prior to the GeForce GTX 9xx series there was a 7xx series, a 6xx series, a 5xx series, a 4xx series, a 3xx series, a 2xx series, and a 1xx series. Before it became the GTX it was still just “Geforce”, the first being the GeForce 256 SDR and DDR models, then the GeForce 2 series, followed by the GeForce 3. After the 3-series, they began using 4-digit numbers to better differentiate the differences between models of the same series (instead of MX, GTS, Pro, Ultra, etc - they did experiment with this on the 3-series refresh with the low and top-end cards being the GeForce 3 Ti 200 and Ti 500). There was the GeForce Ti 4200, 4400 and 4600, and they stayed with a similar numbering system from the 4xxx through the 9xxx.

But that's what I'm getting at - what is mine then? Is it a different brand and thus not the same sort of numbering system? 

Like when people say "I have a 1080," - is that just one specific brand of card that is numbered that way, or is that a generalized term of multiple different brands of cards that are "1080." 

I only hear, "I have a 1080," or "I have a 980." I don't hear, "I have a Radeon R9 390x." 

Does it make sense what I'm asking? 

14 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

But that's what I'm getting at - what is mine then? Is it a different brand and thus not the same sort of numbering system? 

Like when people say "I have a 1080," - is that just one specific brand of card that is numbered that way, or is that a generalized term of multiple different brands of cards that are "1080." 

I only hear, "I have a 1080," or "I have a 980." I don't hear, "I have a Radeon R9 390x." 

Does it make sense what I'm asking? 

Ah, got it. AMD uses a different naming system for their cards. A couple of others posted their AMD GPUs in this thread. You don’t see people saying they have an AMD GPU as much because they’re not as popular in recent years compared with nVidia cards. “GTX 1080” is literally the model of the card, there’s also a 1080 Ti which is a step above a 1080, the newest ones are the 2xxx (ie: 2080), it’s not a nickname or slang for GPUs or anything, it’s what it’s actually called.

ie: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GXOWUDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9b3XDbHFB8FJS

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Ah, got it. AMD uses a different naming system for their cards. A couple of others posted their AMD GPUs in this thread. You don’t see people saying they have an AMD GPU as much because they’re not as popular in recent years compared with nVidia cards. “GTX 1080” is literally the model of the card, there’s also a 1080 Ti which is a step above a 1080, the newest ones are the 2xxx (ie: 2080), it’s not a nickname or slang for GPUs or anything, it’s what it’s actually called.

ie: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GXOWUDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9b3XDbHFB8FJS

This is precisely what I wanted to know. Thank you. 

The media must REALLY skew nvidia, or the podcasts I happen to listen to at least. 

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

The media must REALLY skew nvidia, or the podcasts I happen to listen to at least. 

AMD hasn't really been competitive at the top end for a while now, just at the mid/mid-high end, so if you're going with podcasts where the people are building monster rigs then nVidia has been the only real option for a monster rig for a while now.

11 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Nvidia also does hold the vast majority of marketshare, even in cheaper video cards, as well as having the fastest card on the market for the last 6 or so years.  At one point in the last few years Nvidia had ~80% marketshare, and they typically maintain >60%.

The last time AMD released a card that was better or equal to Nvidia's fastest card of the time was the Radeon R9 290X in October 2013.

44 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Nvidia also does hold the vast majority of marketshare, even in cheaper video cards, as well as having the fastest card on the market for the last 6 or so years.  At one point in the last few years Nvidia had ~80% marketshare, and they typically maintain >60%.

The last time AMD released a card that was better or equal to Nvidia's fastest card of the time was the Radeon R9 290X in October 2013.

Interesting. 

Aren't the new consoles partnering with AMD?

9 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Interesting. 

Aren't the new consoles partnering with AMD?

Yep.  AMD makes both CPUs and GPUs, so they're packaging both to Microsoft and Sony.  

Consoles can't fit the fastest video card in them anyway, so they don't need to go with Nvidia.  High end GPUs by themselves consume more power than an entire console, which in turn means there is a lot of heat to get rid of.  More heat means a bigger and/or louder cooling system.  So what AMD offered for the PS4 and X1 was perfectly suitable in terms of performance.  And for the PS5 and NextBox, AMD has a new architecture which is even more efficient. 

14 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Its a sub 1080p gaming laptop for more graphic intensive games, it would be fine for something like Doom or Overwatch .

That's what I figured... I only have a few games on it: SCUM, The original Witcher, GTAV, PUBG and a couple of other games and all of those run fine at the highest settings. This laptop wasn't designed for gaming and that's not why I bought it but it serves my needs as far as editing goes and has paid for itself ten times over since I bought it. I may upgrade at some point but not anytime soon... I'm drowning in laptops right now :p after buying a new Macbook in September.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 10:36 PM, Rbk_3 said:

9600K @ 5.2 (really regret not going with a 9900k)

Noctua D15 Chromax CPU Cooler

MSI Gaming Trio 2080 Super 

16GB 3000mhz RAM

500GB 970 Evo SSD

525GB MX500 SSD

3TB Barachutta 7200rpm HDD

Fractal Meshify C 

5 Noctua Chromax Case Fans 

55" LG C9 as my monitor 

Upgraded my CPU to a 9900KS @ 5.1

Once I can get an HDMI 2.1 card I will be set for 5+ years, hopefully.