Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dodger

Kamala Harris wants to extend school by 3 hours

Recommended Posts

Something tells me you didn’t read the article you posted.

 

Quote

The bill targets low-income and working families who can’t afford to pay for child care in between the time a student finishes with school and a parent returns home from work

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be all for this as long as there's a plan in place to also increase teacher salaries. They already don't get paid enough and lengthening their week by fifteen hours would suck if they aren't also getting compensated for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Something tells me you didn’t read the article you posted.

 

 

 

 

Yes it's free daycare instead of actually sending kids to 3 additional classes or whatever. It's still forcing this on teachers instead of just creating some sort of separate after school day care program, which is what it should be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dodger said:

 

 

Yes it's free daycare instead of actually sending kids to 3 additional classes or whatever. It's still forcing this on teachers instead of just creating some sort of separate after school day care program, which is what it should be. 

I’m pretty sure it is literally a separate after school program, but held on campus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'd be all for this as long as there's a plan in place to also increase teacher salaries. They already don't get paid enough and lengthening their week by fifteen hours would suck if they aren't also getting compensated for it.

 

They would get paid if they took the additional shift, at the rate they get paid for their normal shift. So they would get paid, but not any kind of overtime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I’m pretty sure it is literally a separate after school program, but held on campus.

 

 

Sure, but it's ran by the actual teachers, and I have no doubt after spending all day teaching your kids, teachers want to then literally baby sit them as well. 

 

What's that Canada program that we had a recent post about? How about we just give parents money or a credit for actual after school daycare programs. 

 

I was basically raised by day care, and I turned out fi

 

Wait what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Sure, but it's ran by the actual teachers

Yes, as opposed to maybe high school graduates at a day care or YMCA, or a screen at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sblfilms said:

Yes, as opposed to maybe high school graduates at a day care or YMCA, or a screen at home.

 

I'm not saying teachers aren't qualified to do it or we shouldn't want them to do it, just how many teachers are going to sign up for a 10 hour day, for what sounds like will be normal and not OT pay to do it? Also, as long as we're screening people properly so to not be hiring child abusers, someone with a high school degree is fine to watch your kids for 2-3 hours while you're at work. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dodger said:

 

I'm not saying teachers aren't qualified to do it or we shouldn't want them to do it, just how many teachers are going to sign up for a 10 hour day, for what sounds like will be normal and not OT pay to do it? Also, as long as we're screening people properly so to not be hiring child abusers, someone with a high school degree is fine to watch your kids for 2-3 hours while you're at work. 

 

 

 

They already have ten hour days. These would theoretically be 12 hour days.

 

One thing that is being overlooked is that the schools/districts are supposed to come up with their own systems. That might not involve a 12 hour day. Staggered schedules with different start times could be implemented, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

 

I'm not saying teachers aren't qualified to do it or we shouldn't want them to do it, just how many teachers are going to sign up for a 10 hour day, for what sounds like will be normal and not OT pay to do it? Also, as long as we're screening people properly so to not be hiring child abusers, someone with a high school degree is fine to watch your kids for 2-3 hours while you're at work. 


Good after school programs are more than just “watching your kids”. We certainly could cheap out and just have babysitters though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they're actually trying to pass legislation to start the school day later around here, like at 8 am or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dodger said:

So they would get paid, but not any kind of overtime. 

Teachers are exempt salaried employees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Remarkableriots said:

Why do you not agree with this idea?

 

The problem it's trying to address is worthy but the way she wants to go about it isn't what I'd consider the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reputator said:

I don't actually agree with this idea.

 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think they're actually trying to pass legislation to start the school day later around here, like at 8 am or something.

Both these back to back posts don’t actually need the actually 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Actually, both these back to back posts don’t actually need the actually 

 

Now actually correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

 

They already have ten hour days. These would theoretically be 12 hour days.

 

One thing that is being overlooked is that the schools/districts are supposed to come up with their own systems. That might not involve a 12 hour day. Staggered schedules with different start times could be implemented, for example.

What teachers have ten hours days? 6.5 here, and that isn't even instructional time. Wife complains about it all the time, she has about three and half hours of actual teaching time between all the "programs" that have been instituted to "help" the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My wife just had a 7 hour teaching day then came home for 3 hours to grade. 

 

So uh, here's one.

Haven't seen my wife grade a paper in like two years, but their last contract gave them two hours built into their day for, I forget what they call it. She uses that time to grade and lesson plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Commodore D said:

What teachers have ten hours days? 6.5 here, and that isn't even instructional time. Wife complains about it all the time, she has about three and half hours of actual teaching time between all the "programs" that have been instituted to "help" the kids.

 

2 hours ago, Commodore D said:

Haven't seen my wife grade a paper in like two years, but their last contract gave them two hours built into their day for, I forget what they call it. She uses that time to grade and lesson plan.

 

I'm very happy for your wife. My friend's day as a high school English teacher:

 

Three class periods in the morning. One period for lunch, grading, and prep time. Three afternoon class periods. Two hours of soccer practice, four hours on game days. Then home to grade and prep what couldn't be accomplished in the one period given during the day to do so. Or on his weekends. Being the soccer coach makes his days 12 hours easily which I see as the equivalent of some plan like the one Harris is proposing. But for all the non-sports or nom-band kids.

 

That was very similar to my observation of my teachers back when I was in high school 15 years ago too. In a different state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

Yeah from what I've seen the teachers involved with after school stuff have to be doing more than eight hours.

That is true, wife coach volleyball for five years; she decided the extra $5k wasn’t worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

That is true, wife coach volleyball for five years; she decided the extra $5k wasn’t worth it.

 

Seems like the plan is to pay more for that kind of stuff? I dunno as far as ideas go it seems like a decent one to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

 

Seems like the plan is to pay more for that kind of stuff? I dunno as far as ideas go it seems like a decent one to me.

I wouldn’t disagree with that.

 

I thought the $5k a year was decent money for coaching (most schools don’t pay that for volleyball, but she was at an expensive school), but as a new mom I understood my wife deciding to stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son just started kindergarten. He attends a charter school in the Atlanta Public School system (APS). His schedule is 8-4 Monday through Thursday, and 8-1 on Friday. We can drop him off as early as 710, and they provide free breakfast and lunch (free breakfast and lunch is APS wide in an attempt to improve attendance) They also offer free after care, but you have to sign up for it at the beginning of the school year, and if you don't use it every day they can remove you from the program. My son is in class the entire time. They have a bunch of neat programs to fill out the day. He has a spanish, chess, robotics, and a dance class. The adjacent highschool is on the same schedule, but I can't speak to their class structure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...