Kamala Harris wants to extend school by 3 hours

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Something tells me you didn’t read the article you posted.

Yes it's free daycare instead of actually sending kids to 3 additional classes or whatever. It's still forcing this on teachers instead of just creating some sort of separate after school day care program, which is what it should be. 

Just now, Dodger said:

Yes it's free daycare instead of actually sending kids to 3 additional classes or whatever. It's still forcing this on teachers instead of just creating some sort of separate after school day care program, which is what it should be. 

I’m pretty sure it is literally a separate after school program, but held on campus.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'd be all for this as long as there's a plan in place to also increase teacher salaries. They already don't get paid enough and lengthening their week by fifteen hours would suck if they aren't also getting compensated for it.

They would get paid if they took the additional shift, at the rate they get paid for their normal shift. So they would get paid, but not any kind of overtime. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I’m pretty sure it is literally a separate after school program, but held on campus.

Sure, but it's ran by the actual teachers, and I have no doubt after spending all day teaching your kids, teachers want to then literally baby sit them as well. 

What's that Canada program that we had a recent post about? How about we just give parents money or a credit for actual after school daycare programs. 

I was basically raised by day care, and I turned out fi

Wait what. 

Just now, sblfilms said:

Yes, as opposed to maybe high school graduates at a day care or YMCA, or a screen at home.

I'm not saying teachers aren't qualified to do it or we shouldn't want them to do it, just how many teachers are going to sign up for a 10 hour day, for what sounds like will be normal and not OT pay to do it? Also, as long as we're screening people properly so to not be hiring child abusers, someone with a high school degree is fine to watch your kids for 2-3 hours while you're at work. 

Just now, Dodger said:

I'm not saying teachers aren't qualified to do it or we shouldn't want them to do it, just how many teachers are going to sign up for a 10 hour day, for what sounds like will be normal and not OT pay to do it? Also, as long as we're screening people properly so to not be hiring child abusers, someone with a high school degree is fine to watch your kids for 2-3 hours while you're at work. 

They already have ten hour days. These would theoretically be 12 hour days.

One thing that is being overlooked is that the schools/districts are supposed to come up with their own systems. That might not involve a 12 hour day. Staggered schedules with different start times could be implemented, for example.

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Good after school programs are more than just “watching your kids”. We certainly could cheap out and just have babysitters though.

4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

They already have ten hour days. These would theoretically be 12 hour days.

One thing that is being overlooked is that the schools/districts are supposed to come up with their own systems. That might not involve a 12 hour day. Staggered schedules with different start times could be implemented, for example.

What teachers have ten hours days? 6.5 here, and that isn't even instructional time. Wife complains about it all the time, she has about three and half hours of actual teaching time between all the "programs" that have been instituted to "help" the kids.

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My wife just had a 7 hour teaching day then came home for 3 hours to grade. 

So uh, here's one.

Haven't seen my wife grade a paper in like two years, but their last contract gave them two hours built into their day for, I forget what they call it. She uses that time to grade and lesson plan.

3 hours ago, Commodore D said:

What teachers have ten hours days? 6.5 here, and that isn't even instructional time. Wife complains about it all the time, she has about three and half hours of actual teaching time between all the "programs" that have been instituted to "help" the kids.

2 hours ago, Commodore D said:

Haven't seen my wife grade a paper in like two years, but their last contract gave them two hours built into their day for, I forget what they call it. She uses that time to grade and lesson plan.

I'm very happy for your wife. My friend's day as a high school English teacher:

Three class periods in the morning. One period for lunch, grading, and prep time. Three afternoon class periods. Two hours of soccer practice, four hours on game days. Then home to grade and prep what couldn't be accomplished in the one period given during the day to do so. Or on his weekends. Being the soccer coach makes his days 12 hours easily which I see as the equivalent of some plan like the one Harris is proposing. But for all the non-sports or nom-band kids.

That was very similar to my observation of my teachers back when I was in high school 15 years ago too. In a different state.

19 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Seems like the plan is to pay more for that kind of stuff? I dunno as far as ideas go it seems like a decent one to me.

I wouldn’t disagree with that.

I thought the $5k a year was decent money for coaching (most schools don’t pay that for volleyball, but she was at an expensive school), but as a new mom I understood my wife deciding to stop.

My son just started kindergarten. He attends a charter school in the Atlanta Public School system (APS). His schedule is 8-4 Monday through Thursday, and 8-1 on Friday. We can drop him off as early as 710, and they provide free breakfast and lunch (free breakfast and lunch is APS wide in an attempt to improve attendance) They also offer free after care, but you have to sign up for it at the beginning of the school year, and if you don't use it every day they can remove you from the program. My son is in class the entire time. They have a bunch of neat programs to fill out the day. He has a spanish, chess, robotics, and a dance class. The adjacent highschool is on the same schedule, but I can't speak to their class structure.