Hero Politician Shuts Down Heckler With 'OK Boomer' During Climate Speech in New Zealand

55 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't know what this means... I think I may be aging out of this board :(

It’s just a Jason thing referencing an old user. It doesn’t even make sense in this context, tbh.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:12 AM, Spork3245 said:

You’re GenX. Millennials are 81-96.

I’ve never agreed with this time frame. Not to mention some have Millennials going out to the early 2000s. 

my experience around high school was quite different from those born in the mid 90s and early 2000s. By the time they were hitting puberty cell phone ownership and usage in schools among kids was becoming more and more common. Homes with an internet connected PCs were common. And Social Media had become a thing. 

I feel like Gen X should extend at least to 1985. 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’ve never agreed with this time frame. Not to mention some have Millennials going out to the early 2000s. 

my experience around high school was quite different from those born in the mid 90s and early 2000s. By the time they were hitting puberty cell phone ownership and usage in schools among kids was becoming more and more common. Homes with an internet connected PCs were common. And Social Media had become a thing. 

As I've said before, I'm not totally sure where to peg the starting point for millennials, but the cutoff is that you should be able to remember 9/11.

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I actually agree. The generations here really should be split between those who grew up with the Internet being a major part of the teen lives and those where it wasn't. I was an early Internet kid, but even I wouldn't consider the Internet being of major impact on my life until I was already in college. I think the group think around this doesn't realize how different life is pre and post Internet for a lot of these kids out there.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

As I've said before, I'm not totally sure where to peg the starting point for millennials, but the cutoff is that you should be able to remember 9/11.

Millennial is either the shortest “generation” thus far, lasting barely a decade, or should start much later and perhaps still be going. You say remember 9/11, I used to say remember hearing their modem connect to the internet. lol 

The Internet was a catalyst for social, technical, business revolutions unlike any in human history. Mostly due to just how fast it changed the world. The world before 1996 and the world after 2006 were vastly different.  Such things like having to learn to use a paper map to find an address vs having an GPS in your car or using an app on a phone and being guided there. From mail, to email, to text and instant messaging happened during this time. 

people who grew up being able to IM or text anyone at any time have a vastly different view of communication in the world from those who had to call with landlines, send letters by mail, or physically see a person. 

I think 1981 - 1996 seems like a good estimation. You have the people who saw the internet as the "big new thing" when they were leaving highschool/going into college, to the people who witnessed smartphones become the big new thing while they were leaving high school/going to college.  There's also the factor that like, the rise of the internet isn't the only thing that defines the millenial generation. I'd argue experiencing the great recession before your 30's is something that defines the millenial generation. 

I really can't see calling someone in 1985 a gen x'er. My sister is 12 years older than me and was born in 1974. In highschool, she could take a typewriter class as an elective, and there were I believe several levels of it, so you could take more than one semester. I feel like maybe someone born in 1980 might have experienced that, maybe, but I really don't think anyone (in my city anyway) born in 1985 was learning how to operate a typewriter in highschool. 

I was born in 83 and I feel I better align with millennials. Much of my growing up and life molds around the rapid changes in technology in the 80s and 90s. 

9 minutes ago, Iculus said:

And probably if your favorite Land Before Time movie isn't the first one.

Heathens are what they are!! (first will always be best)

When my younger-gen-x friends talk about cultural touchstones, I rarely connect. When older-millennial friends do, I tend to connect more.

Thus, millennial seems to be the more natural spot for me.

In reality, there are only two post-boomer generational cohorts: the one that consists of all those who can remember the world before smartphones, and the one that consists of those that cannot.

That is the great, unbridgeable phenomenological and epistemological divide that partitions the boomers' successors, sure as the divide between the generation that grew up with cities and coasts full of electrical lights and wires and the one that only knew gaslamps glowing in the window-frames at night.

The mind of the person who cannot conceive of a universe without smartphones is of a nature entirely different from the mind of one who can.  I don't expect I'll ever truly understand the former--but I do expect to be shaking a stick at it and telling it to get off my lawn in a few decades. (and maybe visiting it and its vr/ar/ai bewitched offspring every Christmas and Thanksgiving)

23 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

In reality, there are only two post-boomer generational cohorts: the one that consists of all those who can remember the world before smartphones, and the one that consists of those that cannot.

That is the great, unbridgeable phenomenological and epistemological divide that partitions the boomers' successors, sure as the divide between the generation that grew up with cities and coasts full of electrical lights and wires and the one that only knew gaslamps glowing in the window-frames at night.

The mind of the person who cannot conceive of a universe without smartphones is of a nature entirely different from the mind of one who can.  I don't expect I'll ever truly understand the former--but I do expect to be shaking a stick at it and telling it to get off my lawn in a few decades. (and maybe visiting it and its vr/ar/ai bewitched offspring every Christmas and Thanksgiving)

I think it's less smartphones and more the internet being the determining factor. Like those who can remember life before the internet and life after.  I didn't really become active on the internet until college which is when I got my first email address. 

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think it's less smartphones and more the internet being the determining factor. Like those who can remember life before the internet and life after.  I didn't really become active on the internet until college which is when I got my first email address. 

The internet is important, but you initially still had to be in a fixed location to be able to use it. Using public computers (e.g. at the library) was certainly possible but preferably you wanted to be on your own computer. Stuff like AIM was obviously a change from calling people, but not THAT big of a change considering you still had to be at home to use it, and if you NEEDED to talk with someone you still had to arrange ahead of time to both be online, or call the person to tell them to get online. 

So to that end I'm inclined to agree with @Signifyin(g)Monkey except I'd step it back to cellphones and not specifically smartphones becoming ubiquitous. Expecting to be able to contact people on the fly wherever they are was a huge change and the internet by itself didn't bring that change.

I'd also add that everyone having a camera in their pocket at all times was another big change that led smartphones by about 10 years. 

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'd also add that everyone having a camera in their pocket at all times was another big change that led smartphones by about 10 years. 

The fact that kids these days will have their entire lives documented with pictures and video, possibly, taken of every single waking day of their lives is a crazy thing to think about. If you threw a random number at me between 1 and 1421, I'm almost positive I can find out what clothes my son was wearing that day going back to the day he was born. That's a level of documentation that didn't exist, even for the most wealthy and famous, just twenty years ago.

Just like "deplorables" those on the right will just own it. 

• Guillotine 1