Hero Politician Shuts Down Heckler With 'OK Boomer' During Climate Speech in New Zealand

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So Boomer is a slur now? Colbert did a bit about this on his show. I didn't know it was a thing.

Really it has been building up over the last two years. But these last two weeks every boomer on Twitter is taking offense to the term which is just emboldening its use.

Edit: I'm reading the article now (imagine that!) and it does a good job of outlining why it's kind of a slur and why it upsets boomers.

1 minute ago, legend said:

As a sarcastic retort to someone complaining about the millennial or gen z generation, I think it's fine. I wouldn't want people saying it to dismiss anything someone from that generation says though.

Don't worry buddy, the internet is a vast bastion of restraint and compassion! I'm sure only a few folks will abuse this catchy slam! :sun: 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Don't worry buddy, the internet is a vast bastion of restraint and compassion! I'm sure only a few folks will abuse this catchy slam! :sun: 

Oh yeah, I'm quite sure it will ultimately be abused. Social media is an amplifier for inventing tribal warfare.

6 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

It was half hearted and jokey until the boomers took it REAL serious.

Well since Ageism is becoming a growing concern in the work place with boomers I can see how they would. Getting old sucks.

1 minute ago, Firewithin said:

but thats what boomers have doing to everyone else all along 

That's the irony of it... the generation that considers all kinds of "isms" to be wrong (racism, sexism, homophobia) has NO problem creating new "isms" that it is cool with promoting.

16 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Get the fuck out of here with that “it’s a slur” bullshit.

Bunch of fucking Fredos.

Boomers have been using "millennial" as a slur for at least 10 years now but like the fucking snowflakes they are can't take what they give.

• Thanks 2

On the one hand, using a term like that isn't really very helpful in trying to get your message across, and makes you look too antagonistic.

On the other hand, conservatives have been using the term "millennial" as an insult for nearly a decade, and to hear them cry about how mean the term "boomer" is just furthers the fact that they are just as big (if not bigger) snowflakes as the millennials they try to mock.

I'm in favor of dismissing arguments that merit no consideration with pithy epithets.

When my dad says he's not worried about global warming because the Earth goes through natural warming and cooling cycles I'm going to educate him on the facts of the matter and the dangers of that mindset.

When my millennial cousin, boomer aunt, or greatest generation grandmother scream "global warming is a hoax!" after getting an impotent rage fix from Hannity I'm just going to say "Okay boomer."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm in favor of dismissing arguments that merit no consideration with pithy epithets.

When my dad says he's not worried about global warming because the Earth goes through natural warming and cooling cycles I'm going to educate him him on the facts of the matter and the dangers of that mindset.

When my millennial cousin, boomer aunt, or greatest generation grandmother scream "global warming is a hoax!" after getting an impotent rage fix from Hannity I'm just going to say "Okay boomer."

You have a millennial cousin that watches Hannity?