Sign in to follow this  
Rachel

Isn’t it fucked up that you can just bring an entire human into existence without their consent?

It’s like hey sucka, you’re alive! Who cares if you want to be or not! LOL. 

Fucking asshole parents creating me and shit FUCK YOU 

11 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You cannot give consent before you exist.  Existting > not existing.  Therefore, it is moral to bring an entity into existence without their formal consent.

Who decides that existing is better than not existing? There is no objectivity to this. 

15 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Existing > not existing.

This is closer to what I'm inclined to believe, but it comes from a religious persuasion.

I think we have no basis to make a judgement on this without similar qualifiers for personal belief.  Because even if we thought of non-existence as neutral, we'd still be rationalizing the worth of an abstraction.

9 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

@crispy4000 I am genuinely curious as to what your response was!

Basically, what I said above.

4 hours ago, Rachel said:

Who decides that existing is better than not existing? There is no objectivity to this. 

A cynical person might be inclined to say those in power do.  But I still think none of us can truly decide that.

What mere existence is worth should be the larger question here, IMO.  Although technically, none of us get to be the arbiters of that either.

6 hours ago, Rachel said:

Barring any significant genetic health problems, that cause significant chronic pain, the small joys in life are better than never experiencing any  joy.  This is objective.

Many people who have significant disabilities, and experience some pain/discomfort, will fight to survive.

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Barring any significant genetic health problems, that cause significant chronic pain, the small joys in life are better than never experiencing any  joy.  This is objective.

Many people who have significant disabilities, and experience some pain/discomfort, will fight to survive.

still nothing objective here

1 hour ago, GROCERIES said:

But, like, I'm super dope so kiddo will be glad they were born to hang out with me.

Thanks for being reborn into this thread.