~* The Official Thread of MoviePass can't make up its damn mind *~

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Who is it geared toward ...people who don't go to the3 movies AT ALL?!?! Seriously you get 1 ticket for 8.99 ...which is actually more than a regular ticket costs for almost all showings at the Cinemark near me. 

You also get 20% discount on food and drinks and any additional tickets you buy are 8.99 a well (so if you want to buy for your friends etc)

Not a horrible deal at all

13 minutes ago, Oberon said:

You also get 20% discount on food and drinks and any additional tickets you buy are 8.99 a well (so if you want to buy for your friends etc)

maybe for some. only time I ever get food/drinks is when I take my nephews to see something, the markup is crazy stupid...when you're charging more than airport or theme park prices that's when I saw FU to the theaters. As for the ticket for 8.99,  might be a good deal in some places but like I said at the Cinemark near me the tickets are cheaper than 8.99 already

19 minutes ago, Oberon said:

Which still leaves them 60% too expensive and an additional ticket at 8.99 is the same as regular price without being a member. I'm still not seeing the appeal of their offerings.

Here where I live tickets are $12 for evening showings and if you buy the ticket only you pay the 1$ fee as well. So if I was to go to one movie a month (I actually go once every 2 or 3 months with my wife) I end up saving $4 just for the ticket. For any unused months it roll over to the following month 

And while the food is overpriced even with the discount, it makes it more likely I'll get the occasional popcorn

It's not the worst for people like me 

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Which still leaves them 60% too expensive and an additional ticket at 8.99 is the same as regular price without being a member. I'm still not seeing the appeal of their offerings.

Not everyone lives in Joseph Smith land. 8.99 is 50% off for me.

The average 2D adult evening ticket in the Cinemark chain is $12. You get a ticket for a decent discount, discounts on concessions, no fees for additional online tickets purchased. It’s for people who go on a monthly basis and want to save some cash. They will have something almost identical to AMC A-List by spring 2019 from what I’ve heard for those who want to go more frequently.

Subscriptions are here to stay.

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The average 2D adult evening ticket in the Cinemark chain is $12. You get a ticket for a decent discount, discounts on concessions, no fees for additional online tickets purchased. It’s for people who go on a monthly basis and want to save some cash. They will have something almost identical to AMC A-List by spring 2019 from what I’ve heard for those who want to go more frequently.

Subscriptions are here to stay.

Any reason they're waiting until Spring for that?

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Any reason they're waiting until Spring for that?

From what I’ve heard from friends there, the old guard at the company doesn’t like subscriptions (hence the very limited first toe dip) while the younger folks are more forward thinking on these matters. The internal discussions eventually landed on “let’s see how A-list performs for a few quarters and then make our own play”.

16 hours ago, Jose said:

They're still blacking movies out?

Apparently e-ticketing theaters have a different arrangement with MoviePass, because all of their movies are still available to me. But yeah, since yesterday morning the only thing available everywhere else is Slender Man. I was a little surprised to see that for today as well. I thought it might have been something just to get them through the weekend.

So Movie Pass went out and did about the scummiest thing I can think of, and automatically reactivated the subscriptions of people who had recently canceled, including me.

I got an email identical to the one in the article, stating that:

Please note: if you had previously requested cancellation prior to opting-in, your opt-in to the new plan will take priority and your account will not be cancelled

But there was no opt-in. I hadn't touched the app since I canceled two weeks ago.

Unlike some people in that article, I was able to cancel again, but still, not cool Movie Pass. Not cool.

6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

So Movie Pass went out and did about the scummiest thing I can think of, and automatically reactivated the subscriptions of people who had recently canceled, including me.

But there was no opt-in. I hadn't touched the app since I canceled two weeks ago.

Unlike some people in that article, I was able to cancel again, but still, not cool Movie Pass. Not cool.

I knew this saga was going to end with something shady.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:53 AM, TwinIon said:

On 8/14/2018 at 10:17 AM, sblfilms said:

Garbage company.

Yeah fuck these guys. Looks like it's movie club for me after all! Lol.

Email from MoviePass today:

To our members:

Today we are rolling out our new subscription plan that was announced last week. We believe this new model provides great value to the MoviePass community and, equally important, ensures that we can continue to provide these benefits for you to enjoy into the future.

As we transition to the new subscription plan, we want to share more details about our service moving forward as part of our commitment to keep you fully informed. For the time being, we will be limiting the films and showtimes that are available to members each day. During this transition period, MoviePass will offer up to six films to choose from daily, including a selection of major studio first-run films and independent releases. In addition, showtime availability may be limited depending on the popularity of those films on the app that particular day.

While the films and showtimes available in the app will change daily, the schedule of available film selections will be published at least a week in advance on the MoviePass website so members can plan ahead for the films they want to see. Click here to see the current schedule. Please note that e-ticketing will continue to include ALL movies and showtimes with no restrictions. Because actual availability will change daily, we encourage our members to always check the MoviePass app before leaving for the theater.

I love how they send this email out a week after implementing this bullshit and everybody already figured it out. I've had so many blackouts for both movies and individual showtimes when I've tried to go this week that I was pretty sure I was going to cancel. But after this and the scummy thing they did re-upping people who didn't read a lengthy ToS I'm 100% cancelling the day before my billing cycle renews.

You'll also notice on that movie schedule that even a month after its release, Mission Impossible still isn't available to see with MoviePass.

• 2 years later...