~* The Official Thread of MoviePass can't make up its damn mind *~

I think I'm finally done with Moviepass. I got far more than my $10 a month out of it, but it's just becoming too unreliable. The whole point of it was that it turned the theater into a subscription, so I didn't really have to consider much other than if there was a showtime at the right theater. Between surge pricing, unavailable movies, and a continually shoddy app and service uptime,  it's becoming a chore to use.

So I'm going to give AMC's new service a try. My local AMC is a few minutes further away than the theater that takes moviepass, but it's a far nicer theater, giant leather recliners and all. I didn't realize until just now, but there's also an AMC that's ~20min away that has a (fake) IMAX screen as well as a Dolby cinema. Between the nicer theaters, reserved seating, premium showings, and hopefully more reliable service I think the price increase will be worth it.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I think I'm finally done with Moviepass. I got far more than my $10 a month out of it, but it's just becoming too unreliable. The whole point of it was that it turned the theater into a subscription, so I didn't really have to consider much other than if there was a showtime at the right theater. Between surge pricing, unavailable movies, and a continually shoddy app and service uptime,  it's becoming a chore to use.

So I'm going to give AMC's new service a try. My local AMC is a few minutes further away than the theater that takes moviepass, but it's a far nicer theater, giant leather recliners and all. I didn't realize until just now, but there's also an AMC that's ~20min away that has a (fake) IMAX screen as well as a Dolby cinema. Between the nicer theaters, reserved seating, premium showings, and hopefully more reliable service I think the price increase will be worth it.

A-List is a much better product.

Movie Pass is raising prices to $15 per month in addition to surge pricing and blocking popular movies. Makes my decision to cancel yesterday in favor of AMC feel even better.

My first A-List ticket purchase was for MI in IMAX, which would have been $19 by itself. If the film is any good, I might go back and see it in Dolby Cinema, but I also have a bunch of small films I want to check out. I think I'll get my $20 worth.

I wish any of the AMC theaters in my area were just a little more convenient to me. Each one is a good 20 minutes away, whereas a local theater is right around the corner from my apartment, and a Cinemark is right around the corner from my job. I also wish they got more limited releases. Still, it has enough good things going for it that I'll probably do the A-List thing pretty soon.

MoviePass is going to die, but it's legacy that movie theaters start offering subscription services will hopefully live on. It's a consumer friendly idea. Although, if it gets successful and follows the Netflix route, how long before we see "AMC Originals" that are for their theaters alone?

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Movie Pass is raising prices to $15 per month in addition to surge pricing and blocking popular movies. Makes my decision to cancel yesterday in favor of AMC feel even better.

My first A-List ticket purchase was for MI in IMAX, which would have been $19 by itself. If the film is any good, I might go back and see it in Dolby Cinema, but I also have a bunch of small films I want to check out. I think I'll get my $20 worth.

Just saw this this morning, immediately cancelled our cards. The Mrs & I each had one, and when A-list is a combined $40 vs a combined Moviepass for $30, it's really a no brainer. Even with AMC an hour away. 

I've got almost another month before Moviepass bills me again so I'll probably wait until the last second before deciding if I should cancel or not.  On average I only see 1 (unique) movie per month.  The thing I liked about Moviepass though - before they changed the policy - was being able to see movies I really liked twice.  I saw Thor, Star Wars, and Black Panther twice.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I've got almost another month before Moviepass bills me again so I'll probably wait until the last second before deciding if I should cancel or not.  On average I only see 1 (unique) movie per month.  The thing I liked about Moviepass though - before they changed the policy - was being able to see movies I really liked twice.  I saw Thor, Star Wars, and Black Panther twice.

If you cancel your MoviePass, your subscription continues through the end of your billing period. 

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

If you cancel your MoviePass, your subscription continues through the end of your billing period. 

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not.  A-list has nice features, but that's an extra $5 when I find myself only going to 1 movie per month.  At that rate, I might as well not be a subscription customer, because tickets only cost $10.

Trying to use my moviepass a bunch before I cancel it and jump over to A-list. Went to see Equalizer yesterday only to get to the theater and see that it had disappeared off of app, so I ended up seeing Hotel Translvania 3,  so today I went to see Equalizer. This weekend I am definitely going to see MI6, though of course I won't be using moviepass for that. 

WSJ reporting that MoviePass will limit customers to 3 movies per month.

But they are removing surge pricing and reinstating your ability to see movies on release day. Which works for me because I usually only make it to two movies per month. Sometimes three. It does look like the price is going to remain $15/mo. And if you buy more than 3 tickets in a month you will get a discount of somewhere between $2-$5 per ticket.

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

WSJ reporting that MoviePass will limit customers to 3 movies per month.

But they are removing surge pricing and reinstating your ability to see movies on release day. Which works for me because I usually only make it to two movies per month. Sometimes three. It does look like the price is going to remain $15/mo. And if you buy more than 3 tickets in a month you will get a discount of somewhere between $2-$5 per ticket.

At $15 and 3 movies per month max, they should also remove any other dumb user-unfriendly features like taking photos of tickets.

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

They did. I forgot to mention that but the article does mention it. I didn't mention it because I only ever had to do it once for some weird reason.

Good. I only could read the first paragraph before getting paywall’d and was too lazy to go search twitter for a non-paywall’d version of the article :p

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Good. I only could read the first paragraph before getting paywall’d and was too lazy to go search twitter for a non-paywall’d version of the article :p

Yeah... I only have WSJ because of a ginormous discount I got. Also it looks like I was mistaken. Tech Chrunch says the price is going to stay at $10.

At first I thought it was an AMC like 3 movies a week, not 3 a month. Honestly, even for 3 a month, it wouldn't be a bad deal if I thought the service was reliable enough, but they've consistently proven that not to be the case anymore. So far I'm liking the A-List enough to stick with it.

10 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

MoviePass is now $10 for 3 movies a month

If this was the first change they made I wouldn’t have canceled MP. Instead they opted to make one boneheaded decision after another. This actually gets rid of the overpriced surge pricing too which was my biggest complaint. 

I wish the theaters had some plan diversity. I would like something between Cinemark's 1 movie per month for $8.99, and AMC's 3 movies a week for $20. 

But if I was going to choose between one of these it would be AMC's. I probably won't see more than 1 per week, but it would be the better option to see at least 1 per week. 

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Cinemark's plan is laughably terrible compared to the competition.

I think it’s a reasonable plan for what it is and who it’s geared towards.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think it’s a reasonable plan for what it is and who it’s geared towards.

I'm not as saavy as you on this obviously soñince this is your bread and butter so break it down for me. Who is it geared towards? Sinemia (or however you spell it) has a lower price with more or equal movies per month depending on the plan you pick. Moviepass is pretty much the same price but for more movies. From what I'm looking at CM Movie Club's perks consist of a 20% discount on concessions that still leaves them 60% too expensive, "discounted" tickets that are $9 a piece (we refer to that as "full price" here, lol), and one 2d ticket per month that can rollover... which is meaningless if you're looking  at the other options.

This is just getting silly. I was able to use MP yesterday for The Meg, no problem. This morning, looking at times deciding what I wanted to see and where, my options were wide open. Checking again now, my only option at most theaters is Slender Man.

My few local e-ticket theaters, as usual, don’t seem to be affected.