~* The Official Thread of MoviePass can't make up its damn mind *~

I've always talked about getting one. My siblings and I pitched in and got our parents one for Christmas last year (I believe it was like $80 each for the whole year).

My parents love it, they go see a movie every week on Wednesday or Saturday. They haven't had any problems with it as far as I know.

I want one, but when I go see movies is so sporadic. One month I'll get see 2 movies a week, the next I won't go see a movie at all. I don't really know if its worth it at that point.

I’ve had mine since October, and at my last count I’ve used it for something like 43 movies. It’s fantastic. Every theater in my area accepts it.

I love going to the theater, but would often have a hard time justifying the price, especially when movies come to DVD/Blu Ray so quickly. Now pretty much all it costs me is time, so I’ll go see just about anything. 

I've been using it since October and it's great. Earlier this week I was curious about how much money it's actually saving me. So far this year I've seen an average of 4 movies a months. At 12 dollars a ticket that's about 48 dollars a month I would be spending if I didn't use MoviePass. Now of course I am seeing more movies than I normally would be, but that's part of the point. I absolutely love the theatrical experience but until recently high ticket prices have kept me from going as often as I'd like to.

I've been using it for a while. I probably do save some money, since the monthly fee is less than an average ticket around here. Mostly though, I see more movies with it than I would without it. I don't have to feel bad about going to see Tomb Raider in theaters because I didn't really spend any extra money to see it. I also am just a little bit more likely to see smaller films, just because it feels like "less of a risk." I'm not sure I'd have gone out of my way to see Mother! or The Rider, but since they were available at my local Movie Pass theater, I found the time and was very happy I did.

For me the worst part of it is that the two theaters near me that I'd very much prefer don't accept it. I also really wish I could buy a ticket online with it. There's a couple theaters in town that Movie Pass works with that way, but not the one near me.

It's kind of annoying that you now have to take a photo of your stub, but not that big of a hindrance. I'm also not a fan of the surge pricing they're about to introduce. I don't often use it during times I expect will have surge pricing, but if it does show up I'll be unhappy about it.

The big question with Movie Pass is how long they'll be around. They're running out of cash, the stock in their parent company has nosedived, they're getting more  competition, they might need as much as $1.2 Billion more capital before they could be profitable, and their new business model of buying stakes in movies and boosting the attendance seems doomed to fail. The whole thing is a scam being temporarily and artificially propped up by venture capital. If it survives the year I doubt it survives the next. At least by then there will probably still be other options.

20 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I've been using it for a while. I probably do save some money, since the monthly fee is less than an average ticket around here. Mostly though, I see more movies with it than I would without it. I don't have to feel bad about going to see Tomb Raider in theaters because I didn't really spend any extra money to see it. I also am just a little bit more likely to see smaller films, just because it feels like "less of a risk." I'm not sure I'd have gone out of my way to see Mother! or The Rider, but since they were available at my local Movie Pass theater, I found the time and was very happy I did.

For me the worst part of it is that the two theaters near me that I'd very much prefer don't accept it. I also really wish I could buy a ticket online with it. There's a couple theaters in town that Movie Pass works with that way, but not the one near me.

It's kind of annoying that you now have to take a photo of your stub, but not that big of a hindrance. I'm also not a fan of the surge pricing they're about to introduce. I don't often use it during times I expect will have surge pricing, but if it does show up I'll be unhappy about it.

The big question with Movie Pass is how long they'll be around. They're running out of cash, the stock in their parent company has nosedived, they're getting more  competition, they might need as much as $1.2 Billion more capital before they could be profitable, and their new business model of buying stakes in movies and boosting the attendance seems doomed to fail. The whole thing is a scam being temporarily and artificially propped up by venture capital. If it survives the year I doubt it survives the next. At least by then there will probably still be other options.

yeah was reading about the new changes coming, you know this won't go over well, half their users completely lost their shit and are still losing their shit over no repeat viewings. 

I had MoviePass before they went with the crazy price drop and the company was absolute hell to deal with. They kept charging my card long after I was supposed to be cancelled. This recent explosion in users going to end in a lot of bad blood and anger when they finally go down.

We started using ours around March, and we've seen way more movies than usual. Pretty much been a weekly thing.

I was pretty bummed when they changed their viewing policy just as Infinity War came out. Now when I load up the app, it grays out movies I've used it on & says "you've already seen this movie". Not happy with surge pricing, if I had an AMC closer to me I would be switching to their (better) sub plan. 

Interestingly, my fiance's card makes her take a pic of her ticket, but mine does not. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, johnny said:

This shit is so dead. Their peak pricing is charging almost as much as a ticket if I wanted to see a movie right now 

Had a couple people pop up on Facebook complaining about peak pricing. They went to a movie that had max 5 people and paid over the price of a regular ticket. 

13 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Had a couple people pop up on Facebook complaining about peak pricing. They went to a movie that had max 5 people and paid over the price of a regular ticket. 

yeah apparently they determine peak pricing by the activity of your "region", so whatever that means. I think they're just jacking up the price of whichever movies they want to when more people typically go to the movies. 

When I checked the app early Friday morning, I saw that every showing of Fallout was marked as surge pricing (even the 10am shows) for every theater in my area except for one tiny local chain that does e-ticketing. I was able to go to that one no problem. After that and Leave No Trace (which I saw today), that brings me to 48 movies I've seen with Movie Pass in the 10 months I've had it. Even if it goes away next week, that's a pretty damn good run. 

As I mentioned before, surge pricing has really nothing to do with the business of a particular theater, it has to do with business of the service itself. It’s just a method to slow the blood loss during high traffic events on the service.

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

And it's only going to speed up that bloodloss. No one wants to pay for a monthly service only to be charged more for EVERY movie on the weekend. That's when 90% of people go to the movies. 

MoviePass is ded. 

It doesn’t speed it up...at all. MoviePass has been blowing smoke with their claims That they have to hit some critical mass of users to become profitable. The only thing they can do is make it harder to use the service and/or more expensive to use the service.