Diablo IV - Information Thread, update - Quarterly Update for June 2020

TwinIon

I just really hope they take inspiration from POE...but I am worried they will dumb down the skill "tree" even more. Also, I really hope they place more emphasis on weapon-related skills, I know that one of the big complaints when D3 launched was that weapons were just stat sticks, and weren't even included in many of the attack animations for many classes.

5 hours ago, eggydoo said:

Do I have to know story of 3 to play this?  I skipped D3 and when it was changed to be good, I was already into other games.  I am definitely going to get D4 though.

Leah and Deckard Cain are searching for a fallen star, turns out to be Tyrael who left the Angiris counsel. 3 lesser evils are running Hell and are attacking sanctuary. Adria reappears (witch from D1) who is the mother of Leah. Her father is Aidan (the hero from D1). Adria has you trap the 3 lesser evils in a soul stone. Turns out Adria is bad, uses Leah and the soul stone to resurrect the prime evil (all 7 great evils combined). The prime attacks and invades Heaven. The hero saves the day and defeats the prime evil. Cain dies somewhere in the mix. 

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Which makes me wonder why it isn't coming to PS 5 & the next X-Box also? Unless they're waiting until after those systems release to announce that? 

yeah I’m hoping for a simultaneous release. I couldn’t believe how well it was implemented and played with a console controller. 

https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/23189677/diablo-iv-feature-overview-11-2-2019?linkId=100000008839080

Have to finish reading up on this.  

Its at minimum 2 years out, so probably a 2021 release at best, which sucks.  I know there are plenty of other arpgs that mimic what Diablo does, but Diablo has always hit that sweet spot.  I put a lot of time into Diablo 3, even with a lot of the choices I didn't necessarily like.

I'm wondering if 2 years is even realistic based on the dev time of the previous games and how damned early this one seems. During an interview one of the devs said "what you see here is everything we have right now," and that's it "far" too early to think about beta. The latter is pretty obvious, but the first is rather telling. When games are announced with a demo where the demo is literally everything that's done in the game so far, we tend to get bad games, or games several years out. With Blizzard, unless they're willing to kill that part of their reputation along with everything else lately, is always on the later side, don't think I've seen them on the bad side outside of some stinky WoW expansions like BFA.

Not that I can pretend to know modern Blizzard dev times, but I'm getting a weird feeling this might be 3+ years out and I can almost guarantee it won't launch on current gen platforms, unlike what Blizzard is saying. We'll likely be 2+ years into the next gen by then, a little late for cross-gen releases unless the new consoles sell like ass, which seems unlikely based on how well this gen went.

I guess my real question here is what has the Diablo team been doing for 5 years?

According to the wikia (which I take with a grain of salt) Diablo has its own dev team that isn't apart of the other dev teams. They probably assist with other launches, but its been 5 years since Reaper of Souls. So we are 7+ years out since the last major release of Diablo.