Curious what thoughts on the GTX 1070 is now?!

maddux4163

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 1:35 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

The time to replace it will be when RTX is featured in more games and when RTX-capable cards get cheaper and more powerful.

This is my thought. I have no issues and can max out like 90% of games at 1440p, slight bump down for others. But nothing worth me spending hundreds of dollars to fix. Guess my build will live on. 

truly think my CPU is the culprit on that anyhow 

Core I5 4670k (never overclocked)

Asus boards typically "auto" voltage higher than necessary, so just changing the multiplier to as high as he can get stable, while making sure temps are good, is definitely all he needs to do.  Should easily be able to do 4.4GHz, since Intel did release a chip of the same architecture that ran stock at such speed.

Or a $100 drop-in upgrade to a 4770(k) would yield a better boost, particularly in newer games.

Or, if he's not that bothered with his current performance, just wait and do a total overhaul.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 1:35 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

The time to replace it will be when RTX is featured in more games and when RTX-capable cards get cheaper and more powerful.

I feel honestly like 2021 will be upgrade year. Can’t see this card being curb stomped next year. My bottleneck feels more like CPU than GPU (i5 4670k). So maybe I should focus on that for 2020. Obviously my mobo will last another 5-7 years. 

7 hours ago, maddux4163 said:

I feel honestly like 2021 will be upgrade year. Can’t see this card being curb stomped next year. My bottleneck feels more like CPU than GPU (i5 4670k). So maybe I should focus on that for 2020. Obviously my mobo will last another 5-7 years. 

Yeah your cpu is already getting hammered in the newest games. It's only going to get worse. 

On 12/16/2019 at 4:40 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

Yeah your cpu is already getting hammered in the newest games. It's only going to get worse. 

Suggestions on the cheap? By cheap, I mean Hell no to some $600 crap. 

Looking at “usage” I’ll max games out with GPU hovering at 60% usage and CPU maxed. So yeah. Expected my bottleneck to be CPU 

On 12/16/2019 at 12:55 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

A 980. And I don't see why it wouldn't last a decent few years. I'm not moving up to 4k. I don't want to wait an additional year for an upgrade, not with Cyberpunk releasing soon and I'm not spending a grand on a GPU.

980 is similar to my 1070 isn’t it? Or maybe mines a touch better. 

but yeah. No 4K for me. I’m a 1440p gamer for the past 5 years and it’s not changing. Not ready to buy a new monitor. 

I want a new GPU sometime, but with my CPU, it’d be asinine for me to not focus on that first 

3 hours ago, maddux4163 said:

Suggestions on the cheap? By cheap, I mean Hell no to some $600 crap. 

Looking at “usage” I’ll max games out with GPU hovering at 60% usage and CPU maxed. So yeah. Expected my bottleneck to be CPU 

An i7 4770k would improve your situation by a lot, but that too is beginning to get hammered by the newer games.  But at 1440p with your 1070 it should do fine, and it's a drop-in upgrade.  I had a 3770k, and it was really only holding me back in eSports titles where I was running medium/low settings to get as high as framerates as possible.

A $600 overhaul would be..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($153.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $538.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-18 02:12 EST-0500

If you have a good heatsink, then hopefully it has the AMD adapters and you can reuse it.  Otherwise, pick up a good cooler.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

An i7 4770k would improve your situation by a lot, but that too is beginning to get hammered by the newer games.  But at 1440p with your 1070 it should do fine, and it's a drop-in upgrade.  I had a 3770k, and it was really only holding me back in eSports titles where I was running medium/low settings to get as high as framerates as possible.

A $600 overhaul would be..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($153.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $538.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-18 02:12 EST-0500

If you have a good heatsink, then hopefully it has the AMD adapters and you can reuse it.  Otherwise, pick up a good cooler.

Never had AMD CPU. That scares me for some reason. I have 16gb ram as is and it’s fine for now. You linked a MOBO and I have a Asus Maximus VII. No need to mess with that I’m assuming 

8 hours ago, maddux4163 said:

Never had AMD CPU. That scares me for some reason. I have 16gb ram as is and it’s fine for now. You linked a MOBO and I have a Asus Maximus VII. No need to mess with that I’m assuming 

The three best CPUs for your motherboard are the i7 4770k, i7 4790k, and i7 5775c.  The 4770k and 4790k are the exact same processor with only clockspeed differences.  The 5775c is a bit different in that it has a faster iGPU along with additional cache on the chip.  While the 5775c is clocked slower than the other two processors, the cache makes up the differences.  It is definitely recommended you overclock any of these processors to ensure you are not bottlenecked.  All three of these processors, once overclocked, should provide about the same performance.

Any other processor you consider getting would require a new motherboard and new RAM.

You have a really high end board designed for overclocking so I'm assuming you are comfortable doing it.  Even an overclock on your 4670k, if you haven't done so, would show noticeable improvements.

And AMD is good again, offering more bang for the buck under $500.  But if you want to go Intel, then you'd be looking at the i7-9700k as basically your only option.  Right now it's as good of a gaming processor as you can get, but its longevity is in question because it does not have Hyperthreading while AMD's 3700x does.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $549.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-18 12:57 EST-0500

9 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The three best CPUs for your motherboard are the i7 4770k, i7 4790k, and i7 5775c.  The 4770k and 4790k are the exact same processor with only clockspeed differences.  The 5775c is a bit different in that it has a faster iGPU along with additional cache on the chip.  While the 5775c is clocked slower than the other two processors, the cache makes up the differences.  It is definitely recommended you overclock any of these processors to ensure you are not bottlenecked.  All three of these processors, once overclocked, should provide about the same performance.

Any other processor you consider getting would require a new motherboard and new RAM.

You have a really high end board designed for overclocking so I'm assuming you are comfortable doing it.  Even an overclock on your 4670k, if you haven't done so, would show noticeable improvements.

And AMD is good again, offering more bang for the buck under $500.  But if you want to go Intel, then you'd be looking at the i7-9700k as basically your only option.  Right now it's as good of a gaming processor as you can get, but its longevity is in question because it does not have Hyperthreading while AMD's 3700x does.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $549.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-18 12:57 EST-0500

Not a bad price for that CPU. That’s about what I paid for mine. I need to over clock my current CPU to see what happens. My own fear that I’m unsure of is changing voltages or even if that’s needed for my 4670k

1 minute ago, BlueAngel said:

You should be able to hit 4GHz without touching voltage. If you want to go higher set your voltage to 1.25v and you should be able to hit 4.4 without much hassle. 

Ok. So you suggest putting 4GHz and seeing how it runs, then maybe try 4.4 with 1.25v then? Hoping heat doesn’t become an issue. My CPU when maxed under full load is around 55-60c. It’s a nice temp that makes me happy. 

Just now, cusideabelincoln said:

I would jump straight to 4.4.  Temps up to 80 are very safe. The auto overclocking feature of your board should do good enough. Just want to make sure voltage isn't too high. 

What’s your thoughts? 1.25V as mentioned above? The voltage thing scares me the most. You can legit fuck up your computer 

2 minutes ago, maddux4163 said:

What’s your thoughts? 1.25V as mentioned above? The voltage thing scares me the most. You can legit fuck up your computer 

I'd have took it up.  I know for my 3770k 1.35 was the max for safe daily operation, with 1.3v being the recommend safe OC voltage.  4670k is the same silicon as the 3770k but different architecture.  So 1.3 and under should be safe. Avoid going beyond 1.35. But as long as your temps stay under 75 to 80 C you're not going to kill the CPU with even 1.4v.

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'd have took it up.  I know for my 3770k 1.35 was the max for safe daily operation, with 1.3v being the recommend safe OC voltage.  4670k is the same silicon as the 3770k but different architecture.  So 1.3 and under should be safe. Avoid going beyond 1.35. But as long as your temps stay under 75 to 80 C you're not going to kill the CPU with even 1.4v.

I’m a temp FREAK and above 60c makes me sad 😞 

I once had a $2500 laptop a decade ago (Toshiba X205) that somehow got messed up and would IDLE at 80c and under load was 99c before it shut down and burned out eventually

I remember buying laptop fans and canned air etc to no avail. Guess had I known I would have put new thermal paste on the CPU (not honestly sure if that’s possible on a laptop) 

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You can replace laptop paste for sure. Although they probably use a pad to fill in gaps since it's difficult to get high mounting pressure with tiny laptop screws. 

I recall taking off the keyboard and looking at the mobo and such. But in 2007, I couldn’t have told you what thermal paste was. On old 486 builds where I installed CPU’s I never used it. I’m guessing it wasn’t required 😂 just used a heat sink and fan

9 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

That's not necessarily true, each chip is different. As a safe measure I would start at 1.25v at 4.4 and decrease it from there after some stability testing, I'm good all the way up until 4.7 at 1.25v but the extra heat isn't worth it. I've booted into windows at 5GHz at 1.3v but the temps weren't where I wanted them so I backed off to a reasonable 4.6 at 1.25v for peace of mind. 

Or just leave it set to “auto”. Take note I said 4.4-4.5ghz. I’ve yet to see a reviewer have to manually force higher voltage for those numbers. Above 4.5ghz, sure, but that’s above where I stated.

Might try it tonight. For fun. But all be damn if I catch temps even in the late 60’s I’ll freak out. 

I am honestly shocked my CPU has lasted this long at bog standard. Shows me that even today, games aren’t catered to even a spec of my CPU/GPU. It’s all based on consoles and lower spec machines. 

I’ll be fine for a while on my GPU I feel. Snag a CPU next year maybe and then get a GPU in 2021 or so.