House of the Dragon (HBO, August 21) - update: first reviews posted

fuckle85

None of the GoT related stuff is moving forward.

On the one hand, it's surprising because AT&T is surely desperate for HBO/MAX to have a genuine hit. On the other hand, AT&T is also trying to cut costs and GoT wasn't cheap.

If all the old HBO execs were still there I might be more inclined to believe this was a creative decision and that the show just wasn't shaping up well enough. Under AT&T's corporate governance, it's hard to believe that these kinds of decisions are being made for the right reasons. 

34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Aren't there four other ones in development?

The article mentions that:

The pilot was one of several “Game of Thrones”-related projects that were put into development at HBO prior to the end of the series. At this time, none of the other projects are believed to be moving forward either.

• Thanks 1

Pretty bonkers if true.  But kinda understandable since most fans seemed to have a sour aftertaste from the ending of the main series.   Besides, the Wheel of Time, The Witcher and even that upcoming LOTR show have more potential to be the next GOT than any of the prequel concepts.  Since Martin's still literally in the process of figuring out all the lore and backstory of Westeros while writing the upcoming books, it makes sense from a creative standpoint for the shows to be put on hiatus, giving him time to bring more of ASOIAF's world to life before more of it's adapted to screen.

49 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wonder if one of the streamers will pick it up. They probably can't unless they pay HBO a ton of money.

With HBO owning the rights I don't see this happening.  Netflix pretty much turns their nose up at most content if they aren't allowed to own the rights anymore.  Also I'm not sure just putting GOT on the title is going to guarantee another hit.

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah, will HBOMAX have everything that HBO and Cinemax have plus more? Because If so, I would just cancel HBO and get this.

It will include all HBO and Cinemax content, plus a catalog of Warner Media shows and movies as well as HBO Max specific content.

50 minutes ago, _BJ_ said:

Supposedly it’ll be free if you’re an ATT customer. I wonder what would be on HBO that wouldn’t be on Max though?  Seems like one could cancel HBO and get HBO Max. 

HBO Max is free for:

-AT&T Wireless subscribers who already subscribe to HBO through AT&T services (AT&T TV or U-Verse). For one year.

-Free upgrade for HBO Now subscribers, if you bill directly through HBO. If you bought it through Amazon or Apple, no dice.

-Also, subscribers of premium AT&T mobile and broadband services will be eligible for HBO Max bundles at no extra charge. (whatever that means)

If you get HBO through a cable provider, you're invited to stay tuned, as AT&T is hoping to strike deals with cable providers, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

4 hours ago, number305 said:

Not sure if true, but I just read this show is going to debut on and be exclusive to HBO max. Seems like an AT&T move. 

The initial posters only say "HBO" and not "HBO Max", but it was unveiled at the HBO Max event, so who knows. 

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It will include all HBO and Cinemax content, plus a catalog of Warner Media shows and movies as well as HBO Max specific content.

HBO Max is free for:

-AT&T Wireless subscribers who already subscribe to HBO through AT&T services (AT&T TV or U-Verse). For one year.

-Free upgrade for HBO Now subscribers, if you bill directly through HBO. If you bought it through Amazon or Apple, no dice.

-Also, subscribers of premium AT&T mobile and broadband services will be eligible for HBO Max bundles at no extra charge. (whatever that means)

If you get HBO through a cable provider, you're invited to stay tuned, as AT&T is hoping to strike deals with cable providers, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

The initial posters only say "HBO" and not "HBO Max", but it was unveiled at the HBO Max event, so who knows. 

That is a lot of information... but it clears up nothing :)  

Not your fault.  AT&T is making it's typical mess.  They already had a paid subscription service.  If they wanted to charge more -then just do that.  Having multiple paid subscription services that have different offerings is dumb.  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, number305 said:

That is a lot of information... but it clears up nothing :)

Not your fault.  AT&T is making it's typical mess.  They already had a paid subscription service.  If they wanted to charge more -then just do that.  Having multiple paid subscription services that have different offerings is dumb.  

I agree. It seems like almost any other strategy would have made more sense.

They could have made a different brand altogether and offered a bundle a-la Disney. They have Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+, and you can buy them all or as a bundle. If you took all the non-HBO stuff from HBO Max and put it in a WB streaming service, it would be clearly a new thing in addition to this other thing. Then you can bundle them or whatever.

They also could have just put everything into HBO and just charged more for it. Get it the same way you already do, pay for it the same way, just more money for more content.

Instead they made a new thing that also encompasses the old thing that partially uses the old things name, but doesn't replace the old thing. Its phone company / ISP logic at it's finest.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel) teaser trailer
1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

LOL I started reading this thread from the beginning, forgetting it was started 2 years ago and was soooo confused for a few posts 😂

I would have edited the title but I can’t. I also find it funny how people are against the prequel yet all will watch it.