House of the Dragon (HBO, August 21) - update: first reviews posted

fuckle85

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well fuck if you're saying it I'm gonna cave and watch. I hate all of you. :p 

I'm also a book reader (though I've never read Fire & Blood, which might help), and I was pleasantly surprised.

... it's just picking us all up before the fall.:p

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm also a book reader (though I've never read Fire & Blood, which might help), and I was pleasantly surprised.

... it's just picking us all up before the fall.:p

Oooof I have to go through this twice? I was so amped when HBO announced GOT and then the first 6 seasons, even after it went off book after 4.5 seasons, really impressed me. Before season 1 came out I told all my friends to read the books. To finally read what I'd been reading for a decade at that point. I was so fucking burned by seasons 7 and 8 of the show I nearly don't give a shit about the books anymore, and the book series is top ten for me, yes, even books 4 and 5. So for it to come to this, it's just, okay, I'll watch it. :p 

• Halal 1

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Oooof I have to go through this twice? I was so amped when HBO announced GOT and then the first 6 seasons, even after it went off book after 4.5 seasons, really impressed me. Before season 1 came out I told all my friends to read the books. To finally read what I'd been reading for a decade at that point. I was so fucking burned by seasons 7 and 8 of the show I nearly don't give a shit about the books anymore, and the book series is top ten for me, yes, even books 4 and 5. So for it to come to this, it's just, okay, I'll watch it. :p 

Good news is the books will already be finished for this one!

(famous last words, but seriously, GRRM has already published the basic plotline for the show, you can see who "wins" in the end if you want, I believe most of it is covered in A World of Ice and Fire)

• True 1

11 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I don't know why you wouldn't give this show a chance. Pretty much everybody involved with ruining the final two seasons of GoT isn't around anymore.

It's not about giving the show a chance or not, I've simply fell out of love with the world and mythology at large. Like, I'm one of those weirdos who likes The Hobbit trilogy, especially the extended editions, because I just love spending time in Middle-Earth. But I'm not sure I care anymore about spending time in Westeros, etc. Also, prequels of course can be good, but again we kind of know where all this is going. But ya'll are saying it's compelling so far, so I'll try it out. But that's why. 

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Moa said:

Does anyone know how long House of Dragons is supposed to be?

As of now about 3-4 seasons

A source told The Hollywood Reporter that the Targaryen storyline is currently plotted to run between three and four seasons – although there's enough scope for a follow-up plot line focussing on the same infamous family, with potential to explore the likes of, for example, the Doom of Valyria.

“The Targaryens span both directions [forward and backward in the timeline],” co-showrunner Miguel Sapochnik said in the same article. “So as a spine to other possible stories and spinoffs … this [House of the Dragon] is a great place to start.”

Key characters in the new series include Prince Daemon Targaryen (Matt Smith), Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen (Emma D'Arcy), Hand of the King Ser Otto Hightower (Rhys Ifans) and his daughter Lady Alicent Hightower (Olivia Cooke), in addition to King Viserys Targaryen (Paddy Considine).

The Targaryen Civil War, known as the Dance of Dragons, will be the focus of the prequel, as two rival claimants to the Iron Throne do battle.

Game of Thrones author George RR Martin said: "For what it's worth, those who have read Fire & Blood will realise it contains enough materials for a dozen shows.

38 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

The weirdest thing is how it's 200 years in the past but nothing, literally nothing, seems to have changed. 

The old gods and the new? How long have the new gods been new? Are there new new gods? 

It could be like an Old and New Testament situation. 

10 hours ago, Anathema- said:

The weirdest thing is how it's 200 years in the past but nothing, literally nothing, seems to have changed. 

The old gods and the new? How long have the new gods been new? Are there new new gods? 

Well if you’re talking religion 200 years is a pretty minuscule amount of time. I never read the books but I remember from the special features that the old gods were like the ones worshipped by the people living on Westeros before the kingdoms? Like those tree with faces are connected to them. The new gods are those 7(?) that there was the cathedral to in kings landing. 

I think the old and new testament comparison seems pretty apt. 

granted I never read the books and this going off memory of a 10 min short from 10 years ago haha. So I could be wayyyy off. 

12 hours ago, Anathema- said:

The "new" gods is the faith of the Seven, which was a religion brought to Westeros by the Andals when they came to Westeros from Essos some 2-4,000 years before the events of the books. The "Old Gods" is the religion of the First Men, who lived in Westeros before the Andals came. Most of the northern houses are descended from the First Men, and largely keep to the old religion.

Because it's a pagan religion, people kind of believe that the Seven have no power in the North, etc, which is why they'll say "by the old gods and the new."

The followers of R'hllor, the followers of the Drowned God, and those in Braavos who worship the "God of Death" are the only ones who don't recognize the Seven or the Old Gods at all, which is why at least the followers of R'hllor (Melisandre) aren't usually particularly welcomed in Westeros. They're viewed like a cult.

R'hllor represents fire and light, while his counterpart, the Great Other, represents darkness and cold. The followers of R'hllor believe that there will be a prophecied hero who will defeat the God of Death, which is why Melisandre was so hell bent on thinking she found him in GoT. The hero is supposed to wield a sword called "Lightbringer," which could be looked at as an interpretation of the name "Lucifer." So maybe the hero reborn doesn't save the world, he causes it to burn. Who knows.

So, to compare to real world religions, the followers of R'hllor are the most like Christians. 

.... :nerd:

• Halal 1

23 hours ago, Anathema- said:

potential spoilers for house of dragon (dunno how into the story the show will get) on what still has to happen between this show and the events of the original GoT series:

Spoiler

the dragonpit (the big domed building in the background of many scenes so far) needs to be destroyed during the dance of dragons and Baelor the Blessed needs to begin construction of the great sept

• True 1

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

potential spoilers for house of dragon (dunno how into the story the show will get) on what still has to happen between this show and the events of the original GoT series:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah but like, all the clothes and rituals are the same.

4 hours ago, Moa said:

Those Hightowers are really gonna fuck shit up.

That's one thing I love in how they've done it. The ones who act out the most against Viserys are Corlys, Daemon, and Rhaenyra, but those three are also ultimately the ones who are most loyal to him, even if they act petulantly. Daemon, for all of his actions, does seem to legitimately love his family, and would stop short of harming them. Rhaenyra does love her father, and even Daemon, to a degree. Corlys has his own agenda, but has been very clear about what he wants from the beginning, he's not scheming behind anyone's back (or at least he wasn't before).

Meanwhile, you have Otto, who is whispering in the King's ear the whole time that everyone else has their own agenda and are just using the King for their own purposes. No shit, everyone else has made their personal agendas clear - the only one who hasn't is Otto. And Viserys is the only one who doesn't see it.

I like that they haven't fallen into the trap of making Viserys a very good or very bad king. He's cunning in some cases and blinded in others. He's trying to do well and having to make hard choices but can't see the whole picture. He's fighting the competing constituencies and making both good and bad decisions. 

• Halal 1

I particularly enjoy the characterization of Daemon. As @Fizzzzleput it, he's petulant, but not evil or without honor. The tournament scene showed this best where things got heated but he didn't take the opportunity to kill or maim "Crispin." He made the mistake of celebrating too early but he also accepted the loss with as much dignity as can be expected of a hot-headed prince beaten by a commoner.

I think Viserys fundamentally doesn't understand his brother, and the only person who actually gets both his motivations and how to address him is Rhaenyra.

Also I'm 100% convinced that Rhaenrya is just Bean from Disenchantment.

• Halal 1

I liked the ep and the scene, but the whole thing didn’t make sense. Daemon wasn’t present during the conversation about using himself as bait, he didn’t coordinate his actions with the fleet, you couldn’t mobilize a naval landing in the time it took him to run off like a loon, and someone is crabfeeder’s army surely would’ve noticed the army mobilizing before they had arrived on shore, mustered, and attacked. 

It was a cool scene that continued to establish that Daemon is just angstier Geralt, but it was very late season GoT logic.