Apple TV+ Show Reviews Are Coming In

TwinIon

Early reviews for Apple TV+ shows are coming in and by and large it seems they're fine, but lacking any must-see shows.

Engadget has a nice overview of the shows, and suggests that if there's one to watch, it's Ronald D. Moore's alt-history show For All Mankind. Overall reviews for The Morning Show, Dickinson, and See are all a bit more mixed.

With only the few shows available and nothing urgently great, I imagine Apple could have some initial trouble getting subscribers. Still, worth remembering that everyone that's bought a new Apple device after September 10 gets a free year. Since my iPad was bought in April, think I'm going to hold out on paying the $5/month.

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Early reviews for Apple TV+ shows are coming in and by and large it seems they're fine, but lacking any must-see shows.

Engadget has a nice overview of the shows, and suggests that if there's one to watch, it's Ronald D. Moore's alt-history show For All Mankind. Overall reviews for The Morning Show, Dickinson, and See are all a bit more mixed.

With only the few shows available and nothing urgently great, I imagine Apple could have some initial trouble getting subscribers. Still, worth remembering that everyone that's bought a new Apple device after September 10 gets a free year. Since my iPad was bought in April, think I'm going to hold out on paying the $5/month.

Is that true? I just bought a new Macbook in September. 

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is that true? I just bought a new Macbook in September. 

Yeah, I couldn't remember the exact date, so I looked it up and it's pretty straightforward in their terms and conditions. You'll get 3 months starting from Nov 1 to redeem the offer.

Eligible devices:
• Any new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac capable of running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS purchased after September 10, 2019, from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller, is eligible. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 9:24 AM, TwinIon said:

Yeah, I couldn't remember the exact date, so I looked it up and it's pretty straightforward in their terms and conditions. You'll get 3 months starting from Nov 1 to redeem the offer.

So I got an email today saying I was eligible so now I have my free year :p I guess calling up apple support and playing dumb worked... either that or they're feeling the heat from Disney+. Anywhoo I'll check out a couple of these shows now. @johnny You JUST might qualify after all... call Apple support and play dumb like I did LOL. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So I got an email today saying I was eligible so now I have my free year :p I guess calling up apple support and playing dumb worked... either that or they're feeling the heat from Disney+. Anywhoo I'll check out a couple of these shows now. @johnny You JUST might qualify after all... call Apple support and play dumb like I did LOL. 

I’m guessing sub numbers have been really weak to date.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm halfway through for all mankind and am enjoying it quite a bit, for a Hollywood "what if" story it is kept close enough to plausible to make it interesting. What if the moon landing wasn't the end of the space race but just the first leg, what if NASA's budget didn't drop off significantly after most of the early Apollo work was done but actually ramped up by ending the war in Vietnam and diverting the funds to NASA plus probably a lot more.  Only complaint is that the episodes could be trimmed down by 10 minutes or so. 

1920px-NASA-Budget-Federal.svg.png

Good thread, didnt know I could get it for free after buying a MacBook last month. They're trying so hard to mask how little is currently included though it's a bit frustrating. Weekly episode releases is disappointing to. Glad I'm not paying for this right now.

19 minutes ago, Wild said:

Good thread, didnt know I could get it for free after buying a MacBook last month. They're trying so hard to mask how little is currently included though it's a bit frustrating. Weekly episode releases is disappointing to. Glad I'm not paying for this right now.

Also having all new episodes release on Friday is kinda crazy. 

On 12/16/2019 at 3:42 PM, elbobo said:

The 2nd to last episode of For All Mankind definitely took a hard swing into Hollywood drama but god damn it delivered one of the best shot scenes from any show in this year.

episode 9 spoilers

Hide contents

Yup. At first I was like, WTS, NASA would never allow something like that to happen. But then the amazing-ness that came after and I was just like... I’ll allow it, carry on. :lol:

Finished for all mankind, yeah it got too Hollywood in the last few episodes but still a very enjoyable series especially if you like space stuff

make sure you watch the post credit sequence on the last episode

Sea Dragon, fuck yeah, I was wondering if they were going to break it out on this show. That thing is one of the great what ifs of the space program. It could have put 4 times the weight into orbit as a Saturn V, in fact it was so powerful that it could have put the entire International Space Station into orbit in ONE LAUNCH. Nothing planned since has come close to lifting potential. It was also incredibly simple compared to other rockets in terms of how fuel was fed into the combustion chamber. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_(rocket) 

Watched through For All Mankind. It's an odd show that is horribly paced. It's just all over the place and I don't feel like it get's a good handle on what it wants to be. Both between and within episodes it makes odd decisions about how much it wants to be a space adventure and how much it wants to be a serialized riff on The Right Stuff. That's not to say it's bad. I think it's generally pretty good, but I feel like it could have been better if it was longer or made different decisions.

Series spoilers

Spoiler

There's a time jump mid way through the series that is a bit baffling. On the one hand, I get it. If you want to show the space program beyond the Apollo missions that actually happened, you need to speed up time somehow. I'm not against the idea of a time jump, but I feel like what they skipped a whole lot of the female astronauts' character moments. Ellen is now a seasoned pilot, we never really see Tracy become a decent Astronaut. Danielle is now part of the crew with Ed and Gordo. It just feels like we missed some pivotal stuff in service of doing cooler stuff in space. 

That's a fine trade off, but then we're also spending a bunch of time with troublesome kids back at home and Aleida's storyline feels way far out on the periphery even at the end of the season. Overall I just don't feel like it's very focused on what it wants to be or how it can best spend it's time. It does everything well enough, but it seems to lose it's flow and concentration at random points.

At the end it also feels like it goes a bit too hard on the outlandish drama that the show avoided for much of its run. Again, it wasn't bad, just a slight departure and another thing that made it all feel a bit uneven.

Still, I like the show. Assuming the next season comes out after my free year is up, I'll be tempted to pay for a month to catch up. 

On 12/24/2019 at 11:01 AM, elbobo said:

Finished for all mankind, yeah it got too Hollywood in the last few episodes but still a very enjoyable series especially if you like space stuff

make sure you watch the post credit sequence on the last episode

Hide contents

Sea Dragon, fuck yeah, I was wondering if they were going to break it out on this show. That thing is one of the great what ifs of the space program. It could have put 4 times the weight into orbit as a Saturn V, in fact it was so powerful that it could have put the entire International Space Station into orbit in ONE LAUNCH. Nothing planned since has come close to lifting potential. It was also incredibly simple compared to other rockets in terms of how fuel was fed into the combustion chamber. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_(rocket) 

Thanks for that! I completely missed that there was a post credit sequence. I also had never heard of that rocket, so thanks for pointing it out. Very cool.

• 1 month later...