Who watches the Watchmen? (Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?), update - HBO confirms no second season

Brick

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Fuck, I am digging this show waaay more than I thought I ever could...

Lindelof is good :cool:

3 hours ago, johnny said:

My republican DC Comic friend watched the first episode and of course the first thing he says is he hates the Rorschach-White supremacy link lmao

He needs to go back and read Rorschach's journal entries closer. I mean shit, I missed how fucked up and radical the writings were my first couple times through too.  He's a fucking loon.

8 hours ago, johnny said:

My republican DC Comic friend watched the first episode and of course the first thing he says is he hates the Rorschach-White supremacy link lmao

As much as I like aspects of Rorschach's character, he is clearly a right-wing alt-right white guy - he supports a far-right newspaper rag. Your friend's an idiot, or hasn't read Watchmen. :p 

5 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Lindelof is good :cool:

I like The Show... It doesn't change my feelings on the past work he's done that I've seen, which is most of it.

8 hours ago, johnny said:

He needs to read Alan Moore's feelings on Rorschach... he created the character as a parody. And Rorschach was definitely on the further right side of the spectrum.  While I don't remember him being an overt racist,  he was definitely a homophobe and had weird towards women. Him being a right wing icon, especially after his journal going public is not a stretch.  I thank Snyder's movie for once again over simplifying a lot of what Moore was going for.

Gonna throw my 2 cents in on all the conspiracy theories

There is some timey wimey stuff going on and Veidt scenes seems to be out of sync with the rest of the show

Veidt wasnt imprisoned by Dr Manhattan. A) He doesnt care enough to do it, B) Why would he wait until after Adrian sells his company to Lady Trieu to do that and  IF he was going to he would have simply made him disappear at that moment. C) why provide him with a palatial estate and unlimited "help"

His "imprisonment" is connect to Trieu's buying of his company

Will was the Hooded Justice but this isnt the same Will.His connection with Trieu suggests he could be clone.

36 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Gonna throw my 2 cents in on all the conspiracy theories

There is some timey wimey stuff going on and Veidt scenes seems to be out of sync with the rest of the show

Veidt wasnt imprisoned by Dr Manhattan. A) He doesnt care enough to do it, B) Why would he wait until after Adrian sells his company to Lady Trieu to do that and  IF he was going to he would have simply made him disappear at that moment. C) why provide him with a palatial estate and unlimited "help"

His "imprisonment" is connect to Trieu's buying of his company

Will was the Hooded Justice but this isnt the same Will.His connection with Trieu suggests he could be clone.

The farm couples baby was a clone. Veidt has clones. Trieu's daughter is probably a clone. Will is probably a clone. 

The museum story of Will says he has no children, so... Is his daughter also a clone?

She had that whole legacy speech, I wonder how it's all connected. 

That was a great episode. Looking Glass's backstory was by far the highlight, but it was woven into the plot reveal so well that we got the history, insight into his current character and still got shot forward through the story.

Really great stuff. I also continue to love Agent Blake. "We're the FBI, we bug stuff." 

I also kinda love that Abar/Lady Night has already gotten in trouble for her hiding stuff. I feel like so many shows have a protagonist that flouts the rules/the law and we're just supposed to root for them because they're investigating the mystery or whatever. I love that this show is so self aware of the inherent conflict of an officer going rogue.

My bet after an earlier episode was that Veidt was on Mars, but a moon around Jupiter or our Moon, same difference. My question is why he would think that the satellite would be his salvation. I feel like only Dr Manhattan could have put him there and built that place, and only the government or Veidt's old company/Lady Trieu's company would be on the other side of that satellite, and I'm not sure why either would want to save him. Still, it'll be interesting to see how it goes from there. I guess Lady Trieu did seem to have a reverence for him, and the government is seemingly indebted to him (in that he kinda installed the President).

9 hours ago, Anathema- said:

A moon that was orbiting Jupiter.

Are the moons of Jupiter visible from Earth? The reason why I think it's our moon is because on last week's episode, they did a dissolve edit from Veidt's prison to the actual moon in the sky which gave me the impression visually that he was on the moon. 

25 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My question is why he would think that the satellite would be his salvation. I feel like only Dr Manhattan could have put him there and built that place, and only the government or Veidt's old company/Lady Trieu's company would be on the other side of that satellite, and I'm not sure why either would want to save him. Still, it'll be interesting to see how it goes from there. I guess Lady Trieu did seem to have a reverence for him, and the government is seemingly indebted to him (in that he kinda installed the President).

Who is "D"? The message he spelled out was "Save Me D"... did he mean Dan as in Nite Owl?

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Are the moons of Jupiter visible from Earth? The reason why I think it's our moon is because on last week's episode, they did a dissolve edit from Veidt's prison to the actual moon in the sky which gave me the impression visually that he was on the moon. 

I don't think that dissolve was to be taken at face value. Probably what you were supposed to get out of that was that Veidt wasn't on Earth anymore.

Also, I do know that Jupiter would not appear that large if Veidt were standing on our moon.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah that's not a crazy thing to think but the symbolism goes deeper.

It's less of a moon orbiting:

jupiter-red-spot.jpg?w968h681

It's more of a moon orbiting:

jupiter-leather-jacket.jpg?fit=1275,1500

It's almost certainly a hint as to whom his captor is, and likely a hint to the reason as to why he's captive.

34 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Yeah that's not a crazy thing to think but the symbolism goes deeper.

It's less of a moon orbiting:

jupiter-red-spot.jpg?w968h681

It's more of a moon orbiting:

jupiter-leather-jacket.jpg?fit=1275,1500

It's almost certainly a hint as to whom his captor is, and likely a hint to the reason as to why he's captive.

For the life of me I couldn't see why Jupiter would have any relevance or significance to this story until this post and I remembered the character's name... so yes :cheers:

That's certainly... symbolic.