Crusader Kings III - Information Thread, update: "Fate of Iberia" DLC trailer (31 May 2022 release)

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hands-on preview: Crusader Kings 3 is the RPG that will suck you into grand strategy (Rock, Paper, Shotgun)

Crusader Kings 3 is coming on September 1st, and after having access to an early build for a few days, I’m seriously impatient to get back to scheming, disinheriting, and declaring myself the new pope. It’s got that terrible magic that leads to all-day-and-half-the-night sessions, and that’s largely because, secretly, it’s two games at once. It’s a strategy game, obviously. But it’s also a roleplaying game, and a really good one at that. So was 2012’s Crusader Kings 2, of course. But developers Paradox have been shrewd in identifying what made that weird hybrid work as it evolved through fifteen expansions, and have put it front and centre in CK3 from day one.

As it stands, CK3 is one of the few RPGs I’ve played that genuinely compelled me to try thinking like my character would, rather than just pushing for optimal outcomes. And it swiftly achieved what CK2 only managed at its best, in making me feel more invested in my pretend family of medieval gits, than I did in the nation they were ruling. And on top of all that, CK3 simply does a much better job of explaining itself than most of Paradox’s historical titles do. I think it’ll succeed in bringing previously reticent newcomers into the subgenre, but not by sacrificing complexity or depth. It is, quite straightforwardly, a well-designed game.

Crusader Kings 3 sticks to what it does best (PC Gamer)

History probably won't remember my tenure as Alba's monarch fondly. A poisoned brother, nieces and nephews fed to woodland critters, political rivals turned into 'art' in my torture chamber—and let's not go into all the STDs or that time I wanted to have sex with a shoe. Yeah, this is definitely Crusader Kings. 

After racking up a litany of misdeeds that would be far too long—and nauseating—to list here, I can report that Crusader Kings 3 still lets you be an absolute monster. You can be lovely, chivalrous and pious, too, but it's not as fun to read about. Indeed, almost everything you can say about its predecessor is true here. Crusading veterans will find the medieval world a familiar sandbox, but it doesn't feel like a simple repeat. 

How Crusader Kings 3 Plans to Attract Fans of RPGs, Sandbox Games, and The Sims (USgamer)

"Crusader Kings is not an easy game to get into," lead designer Alexander Oltner agrees. "The information you need is usually hidden in an interface somewhere. It's always present somewhere, but you don't know where to look for it."

So with Crusader Kings 3, there are more systems to ease the player into the experience. There's a tutorial, but there are also other new additions like the Issues widget. This widget appears while you're playing CK3 and lets you know which current events need your attention, like a declaration of war, a vassal demanding your attention, or one of your territories rebelling against your rule. It also offers suggestions as to your next course of action. It's a way to focus the day-to-day management of the kingdom.

Crusader Kings 3 is more fun when you play it like The Sims (Polygon)

I’m only a few hours into a hands-on demo of Crusader Kings 3 when everything starts to go pear-shaped. Far from my duchy in Bohemia, the Battle of Hastings has just taken place, setting in motion an inevitable slide toward modernity. The clock is ticking, and it’s time to consolidate my power and lay the groundwork for my legacy.

My vassals are happy enough, it seems, and my wife — a Polish princess — has my back, securing the border with her father, one of my most powerful neighbors. So I decide to start a war, and that’s when things come crashing down around me.

17 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If it is beginner friendly, I will give it a shot. I found CK2 extremely difficult to get into without investing time in a guide or video series. 

Their games tend to be like that. Since this is a fresh start it's probably easier to get into because no DLC.

Also their GAAS model is changing. Flavor packs are 6.99 but expansions will be 29.99. They will be meatier them before but will be 10 dollars more. 

I am suprised because Imperator went with just flavor packs that add nation specific missions. While the new mechanics are free to all. Might just be a "my bad" for the state of Imperator. They did an appeasement thing for HOI4. The first expansions were free to owners. La Resistance was the first one I had to buy.

41 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If it is beginner friendly, I will give it a shot. I found CK2 extremely difficult to get into without investing time in a guide or video series. 

There's a guy (I've linked to the videos before) who made some good beginner videos. I recommend watching them and getting into the game because once you have an idea of what to do it's very fun.

The first time I fired up the game it was basically the only game I had to throw my hands up in the air and say, "I have no idea what to do or how to do it." and couldn't play it at all without some instruction. :p

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There's a guy (I've linked to the videos before) who made some good beginner videos. I recommend watching them and getting into the game because once you have an idea of what to do it's very fun.

The first time I fired up the game it was basically the only game I had to throw my hands up in the air and say, "I have no idea what to do or how to do it." and couldn't play it at all without some instruction. :p

I got into HOI by watching videos. Even with my existing knowledge I wouldn't dare try HOI3 without watching some vids. 

I also needed vids for Vicky 2.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Crusader Kings III

Platforms:

• PC (Sep 1, 2020)

Developer: Paradox Development Studio

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 91 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

GameSpew - 10 / 10

Every detail of Crusader Kings III feels like the perfect evolution of the series.

IGN - 10 / 10

Crusader King 3 takes the throne as the new king of historical strategy by expanding on and deepening the best parts of what made its predecessor memorable and unique.

Saving Content - 5 / 5 stars

Crusader Kings III is all about the dynasty you’ve built, and the legacy you leave behind for a future of fame, fortune, and family in an ever-unfolding drama that’s brought unto you, or what you create for yourself. There’s a chasm-wide cast of characters to play as from real royal families from hundreds of countries, many of which you’ll want to see them through. Whether a new or returning player, hours will pass like minutes, and you’ll realize the game has a hook on you that you won’t want to remove. This is grand strategy at its finest, and Crusader Kings III is an immensely replayable, unscripted narrative masterpiece.

Thumb Culture - 10 / 10

For fans of RPG, simulation, strategy games and previous Crusader Kings titles, this is a must-have.  I have already seen people crying over on Reddit on how much they want the game to drop already.  Bonus for Crusader Kings 3 fans who have Xbox GamePass for PC that’s available on day one too.

Now I did play the preview version and there were some tiny little niggles but not game breaking bugs, and which were confirmed on the Crusader Kings 3 discord are fixed when going live.  With that in mind I’m going to award the Crusader Kings 3 the Platinum Thumb Culture Award!

Twinfinite - 5 / 5

Quote not yet available

VG247 - 5 / 5 stars

All in, Crusader Kings 3 is my Game of the Year so far. If you’re looking for a new strategy title with some RPG flair that will suck you in for 500 hours or more during this endless lockdown, then it should be on your wishlist already.

Game Debate - 9.5 / 10

I might have mentioned that Crusader Kings 2 was one of my favorite games. All I really want out of a game - any game - is to lose myself in a good story. Crusader Kings gives me that, fresh, every time I sit down to play. Crusader Kings 3 is at the start of its own story - I'm estimating we're going to see around 300 DLCs for this beast before it's all said and done - and already through its clarity of interface and intelligent design decisions I can see years of amazing "OH MY GOD, you'll never guess what happened in CK3" moments clogging up Felix's email inbox as I continue on my own journey with this wonderful, wonderful game.

PC Gamer - 94 / 100

The stuff that made Crusader Kings 2 so enduring has been pushed to the front even more, while some of the bloat that accumulated over the better part of a decade has been chipped away. It's a very sensible sequel.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.1 / 10

Graphically beautiful, fun to play, intelligently designed, Crusader Kings III is one of the best entries in the long list of Paradox's grand strategy games.

33bits - Spanish - 90 / 100

Crusader Kings III is not a revolution compared to the second installment. But it is a good evolution. Crusader Kings III is Paradox's masterpiece. It still has some flaws that already had the second part, and is possibly less complete, in content, than the second part with all the DLCs. But it can be said that CK3 vanilla is much more than CK2 vanilla. And the additions such as the house system, the new way of managing the baronies or the perks in the lifestyles are very good additions, in addition to a total visual redesign, with a friendly interface for the new player. Highly recommended. And more knowing that, even without the need to buy paid expansions, Paradox will maintain the game with regular updates.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

Crusader Kings III's near perfect marriage of robust grand strategy with compelling roleplaying means both fans of wargames and storytelling aficionados will find something to love in its medieval world of politics and intrigue, whether that's crunching numbers to efficiently conquer the known world, or rolling with the punches as they scheme their way into the annals of history.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Crusader Kings 3 is a compelling strategy game that deserves to be played. Paradox Development Studios outdid themselves on this one.

Game Revolution - 4.5 / 5 stars

Crusader Kings 3 takes the massively-popular formula of its predecessor and distills it into a much more accessible and attractive package. The drama is even better, the plots sneakier, and it’s a game you can play for hundreds of hours without getting tired of it.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Crusader Kings 3 is the best looking and most accessible the series has ever been.

GameWatcher - 9 / 10

They all laughed, except for the king; choking on his food, he had lost his voice

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Crusader Kings III is an excellent kingdom management game, more intimate but no less intricate than the likes of Civilisation VI, it's as unforgiving a simulation as you're going to find while still being more fun than you'd expect it to be.

PC Invasion - 9 / 10

While Crusader Kings III has shortcomings and flaws, these are overshadowed by the sheer number of options and content thanks to its gigantic map and features. Greater emphasis is placed on a character's or dynasty's growth, a level of detail not seen in any previous grand strategy title, allowing you to experience trials and tribulations like never before.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

Successfully modernises the medieval strategy series, preserving much of what's good and adding some interesting new ideas. While it still needs to iron out a few details, it's a worthy successor to the series' august crown.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

All things considered, Crusader Kings 3 is perhaps one of the most immersive and flexible strategy games ever put together.

Spaziogames - Italian - 9 / 10

Without many words, Crusader Kings III is one of the best Paradox Interactive grand strategy games to date.

Spiel Times - 9 / 10

Crusader Kings III remains as inscrutable as its ancestor. But it is a whole new brand of fun, folly, and misery.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

The best way to think of Crusader Kings 3 as a sequel is in terms of its own dynastic gameplay. Sure, Paradox have started from scratch with a new game, but it's still full of scheming, warring amidst an impressive breadth of cultures and religions. Crusader Kings 3 is an heir that has been born from Crusader Kings 2 and its many expansions, including and improving on so much of what made that game great, but it can still grow and improve in its own right.

TrustedReviews - 4.5 / 5 stars

Crusader Kings 3 is a fantastic entry in Paradox's historically-rooted strategy series. New RPG elements help to create a more engrossing character-driven experience, while lots of quality-of-life improvements make it more accessible and digestible to both Crusader Kings veterans and newcomers. There are still a couple of issues, such as as inconsistent AI-controlled allied armies, but this is still nonetheless one of the absolute best strategy games you can currently buy.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

Crusader Kings III pulls off a difficult dual victory, bringing a new level of depth, charm, and polish to the franchise, while also making it far more approachable than before. Some aspects of Crusader Kings III still aren't as user-friendly as they could be, but overall, this is a worthy heir to the throne.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Crusader Kings III is one of the best Paradox Develpment Studio's games to date. Deep and compelling, this grand strategy can entertain you for dozens, if not hundreds of hours between its intrigues, holy wars, and dynasties in the making.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Crusader Kings 3 is an intricate story-telling device weaving countless threads as long as you have the will to keep it spinning.

Gameliner - Dutch - 4 / 5 stars

Although Crusader Kings III is quite complex and it is certainly not suitable for the casual gamer, it is a strong game in the real time strategy genre. Fortunately, Crusader Kings III is a lot more accessible and easier to play than its predecessors due to the many added tools. Although it is sometimes still difficult to figure out exactly what to do. The different levels of difficulty and the fact that you can determine yourself at what pace the game takes place, come in handy in any case. Players can immerse themselves better in Crusader Kings III as the characters, traits, skills and lifestyle make everything more personal. So if you have quite a few hours left to spare and have a soft spot for strategy games, then Crusader Kings III is an excellent choice.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Crusader Kings III is the new noble management's king. Every little piece matters on the board,  impressive and huge, but merciless with the newbie.

Entertainium - Unscored

Crusader Kings III is a truly great sequel; a fascinatingly deep and rewarding game with options to make it easier than ever for newcomers to get acquainted.

Kotaku - Unscored

Crusader Kings III may begin in what we used to call the Dark Ages, but it’s a Renaissance for strategy gaming in 2020.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

I think I’ll need another year of playing it to work out exactly what I think of it. But that’s another way of saying I want to play it for a year, so it must be pretty good.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Totally forgot this is on Game Pass. Still not sure I'd rather own it. Fanatical has it for 12% off. :thinking:

I just ordered on GMG. I think a game like this is better to own. Since it might come off lf game pass and it's a very DLC. 

6 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I just ordered on GMG. I think a game like this is better to own. Since it might come off lf game pass and it's a very DLC. 

I was thinking of game passing vanilla then buying it when DLC starts hitting.

Although my friend just sent me some some money so I might just buy it anyway. Still 4 hours to decide! :p

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I was thinking of game passing vanilla then buying it when DLC starts hitting.

Although my friend just sent me some some money so I might just buy it anyway. Still 4 hours to decide! :p

That can work make sure to get the premium edition.