'The Outsider' - HBO 10-Episode Mini w/ Jason Bateman & Ben Mendelsohn January 2020

SoberChef

Ben Mendelsohn and Jason Bateman star in HBO‘s “The Outsider,” an adaptation of Stephen King‘s same-titled novel that has been set to premiere on January 12, 2020.

The 10-episode series follows police detective Ralph Anderson (Mendelsohn), as he sets out to investigate the mutilated body of 11-year-old Frankie Peterson found in the Georgia woods.

The mysterious circumstances surrounding this horrifying crime leads Ralph, still grieving the recent death of his own son, to bring in unorthodox private investigator Holly Gibney (Cynthia Erivo), whose uncanny abilities he hopes will help explain the unexplainable.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah I've also been watching it each week and it is fantastic. I love shows with a more grounded approach to the supernatural where the characters not only have to contend with their supernatural antagonist but also with the  existential implications of living in a world where such a thing exists. 

2 hours ago, johnny said:

Ben Mendelsohn crushes his role. The show is really good. I’d agree the first two episodes are the best but still enjoying the others. It’s more of a slow burn. 

Agreed. I've enjoyed the last several episodes as much as the first two. The only part of the show that I found less captivating was when Holly was investigating on her own since we were already privileged with the information that something supernatural was afoot, and it can be frustrating watching characters play catchup. I like that the last few episodes have been less about solving the mystery and more about how the characters process what is going on. 

4 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Have you watched it yet? I haven’t read the book, but heard it was very anti-Trump and I’m curious if it does as well.

I’m not too far into the book, but I’ve seen all the episodes so far, and can’t really think of any particular aspect that was overtly political in nature, either in the book (so far) or show.