12-person CNN Democratic Debate thread (should have been split into two debates)

18 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Actually there’s a giant con job going on in discussions of AI and automation, much of it stemming from people either not being honest about or not knowing how AI really works.

If instead we become honest in our accounting, and pay people for the value they create, and for the manner in which their data serves as the ‘fuel’ for AIs, then we might not even need things like UBI.  People could just make a living by producing useful data and gaining benefits from the ‘data market’ rather than a government subsidy, which produces all sorts of problems when it’s the only source of income for vast swathes of the population—it would be a labor market paradigm which would be much better suited for the economy of the future.

I feel like Yang briefly touched on something like this during the debate. 

58 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Stacking up for that game pass ultimate! 

I have Ultimate through sometime in 2021 (thanks to bing rewards buying game pass, Xbox live, and the covert), just completed the October quest for the 1500 point and free month of Ultimate. Definitely stacking for the first time they make it a discounted redeemable. Oh and some points for MS $ when Iceborne goes on sale during the holiday season (hoping).

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Actually there’s a giant con job going on in discussions of AI and automation, much of it stemming from people either not being honest about or not knowing how AI really works.

AIs aren’t some stand-alone superbeings from Mars.  In order to work, they need access to vast amounts of data—and for the AIs of the future to work, because they will be serving people, this data will need to be generated *by people*.  And for truly advanced service AIs to get access to this data, they will need access to an open network—the internet/cloud.

The problem is that we don’t pay people for their data.  We insist that it’s okay to take it from them, using the open network, without compensating them for it.  

If that persists, then as people get put out of work by efficiency gains in AI, we’re going to have to face up to the fact that we’re doing something pretty dishonest:  we’re telling people ‘you’re obsolete, so I shouldn’t have to pay you’, and then saying ‘but I need your data’, and hoping people don’t realize that the latter statement contradicts the first, and that those who own and operate the AIs can get that data without having to pay for it.

If instead we become honest in our accounting, and pay people for the value they create, and for the manner in which their data serves as the ‘fuel’ for AIs, then we might not even need things like UBI.  People could just make a living by producing useful data and gaining benefits from the ‘data market’ rather than a government subsidy, which produces all sorts of problems when it’s the only source of income for vast swathes of the population—it would be a labor market paradigm which would be much better suited for the economy of the future.

This is pretty accurate. It's worth noting, however, that while AI powered by the general public's data is required for most typical AI, it isn't the only form of AI that is driving automation. As a reference point, Boston Dynamic robots' control systems don't use any machine learning (at least they didn't last I heard about what they were doing). And even control systems that do use machine learning typically don't rely on data generated by the public (unless you're controlling something like ads, which obviously does).

I do think we need to do something about using people's data (and probably regulate what the data includes to avoid bias), but there will be automation systems that are not nearly as burdened by it and may still cause issues for society. Consequently, we do need to be poised to address automation issues beyond the issues of irresponsibly using people's data.

2 hours ago, Commodore D said:

I have Ultimate through sometime in 2021 (thanks to bing rewards buying game pass, Xbox live, and the covert), just completed the October quest for the 1500 point and free month of Ultimate. Definitely stacking for the first time they make it a discounted redeemable. Oh and some points for MS $ when Iceborne goes on sale during the holiday season (hoping).

What's the October quest?

Sounds like none of these chumps did anything to separate themselves and it's basically  a Warren/Biden/Sanders race then everyone else as it's been for awhile now. 

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

What's the October quest?

Sounds like none of these chumps did anything to separate themselves and it's basically  a Warren/Biden/Sanders race then everyone else as it's been for awhile now. 

Operation: Cosmic Rescue. It’s about ten different things you have to do, seven of which can be completed in one day, the rest happen over three weeks, you still have time. It should show up on your rewards page. Click through the Punch Cards banner if you don’t see it.

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

To my surprise, Bill Clinton captured the imagination of liberal voters.

Also:

I think it's more or less down to Biden/Warren, and Warren seems to have pretty strong progressive support. The rest just aren't doing anything to separate themselves, and if anything at this point attacks against Warren are just helping Biden and not that candidate. Suddenly, it's not that early anymore. 

42 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I think it's more or less down to Biden/Warren, and Warren seems to have pretty strong progressive support. The rest just aren't doing anything to separate themselves, and if anything at this point attacks against Warren are just helping Biden and not that candidate. Suddenly, it's not that early anymore. 

Yeah, and I don't see Biden ultimately re-emerging as the leader unless he starts talking more on policy specifics, instead of simply being the "anti-Trump".

18 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Yeah, and I don't see Biden ultimately re-emerging as the leader unless he starts talking more on policy specifics, instead of simply being the "anti-Trump".

I'm definitely going with Warren getting the nominee at this point, unless Hilary does a sudden drop in. 

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

I think the Hunter thing killed his run.  People aren't going to want that hanging over his campaign while the impeachment investigation is going on.  I had wondered whether, should Biden fall, Buttigieg's numbers might pick up again as he reemerges as the centrist alternative to Warren/Bernie, but his momentum really does seem to have stalled.

Not that it matters.  I called it from the beginning--Yang has it in the bag. :troll: