Lord Of The Rings Coming To 4K

SimpleG

How would everyone feel if some of the CG effects were updated? I think people would be less sensitive than they were with Star Wars. Especially if they were more conservative with how things were updated and some just re-rendered to 4k. Even at the time of release I remember some of the effects being iffy but you gave them a pass because the volume of effects was tremendous. I wouldn't want them to CG over practical effects of course.

Off the top of my head they could change Gollum's design in Fellowship to fit the final design in Two Towers. The infamous Legolas and the elephant sequence could be re-worked a bit.

Can Peter Jackson even do CG nowadays without going completely overboard like with everything else he's made since?

4 hours ago, HalfJoey said:

How would everyone feel if some of the CG effects were updated?

For reasons I cannot explain and do not fully understand, the Hobbit movies being so bad has made me much less interested in the original LotR movies, so sure, send them all to the chop shop, I don't care anymore.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

For reasons I cannot explain and do not fully understand, the Hobbit movies being so bad has made me much less interested in the original LotR movies, so sure, send them all to the chop shop, I don't care anymore.

The longer time has gone on the less I appreciate TT and RotK. Fellowship is by far the best of the 3 and is still one of my favorites.

15 hours ago, HalfJoey said:

How would everyone feel if some of the CG effects were updated? I think people would be less sensitive than they were with Star Wars. Especially if they were more conservative with how things were updated and some just re-rendered to 4k. Even at the time of release I remember some of the effects being iffy but you gave them a pass because the volume of effects was tremendous. I wouldn't want them to CG over practical effects of course.

Off the top of my head they could change Gollum's design in Fellowship to fit the final design in Two Towers. The infamous Legolas and the elephant sequence could be re-worked a bit.

Can Peter Jackson even do CG nowadays without going completely overboard like with everything else he's made since?

I think re-doing CGI is less offensive than adding in CGI that was never there in the first place. I'd rather them just stick to updating the models, textures, and lighting, and trying to minimize the obvious fact of green screen scenes like the Merry and Pippin riding Treebeard.

17 hours ago, HalfJoey said:

I hate this idea. You can't recreate magic, and all movies will inevitably age. The effects being old now doesn't dull the storytelling or emotional impact one bit. Don't alter the original version. Now, if we got the original version and an updated version, so both are available, then sure, go to town, I'll watch the original version.

Maybe they should update the effects in The Godfather, or Lawrence of Arabia?? Like miniatures, landscape shots, etc.