Disney’s Jungle Cruise - Trailer and Discussion Thread (In Theaters 07/24/20)

Pikachu

Inspired by the famous Disneyland theme park ride, Disney’s JUNGLE CRUISE is an adventure-filled, Amazon-jungle expedition starring Dwayne Johnson as the charismatic riverboat captain and Emily Blunt as a determined explorer on a research mission. Also starring in the film are Edgar Ramirez, Jack Whitehall, with Jesse Plemons, and Paul Giamatti.

Jaume Collet-Serra is the director and John Davis, John Fox, Dwayne Johnson, Hiram Garcia, Dany Garcia and Beau Flynn are the producers, with Doug Merrifield serving as executive producer.

Disney’s JUNGLE CRUISE opens in U.S. theaters on July 24, 2020.

Jungle Cruise is such an outdated attraction at this point and even the people who run the ride poke fun at it as it’s happening. It’s a weird attraction to turn into a Pirates style blockbuster. At least the Pirates ride was always cool. The Jungle Cruise attraction will need major changes if this ends up becoming a hit.

16 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Didn’t it eventually grow into poking fun at itself? Either way, I do agree that it’s charming and a fun ride. This trailer is selling a movie with a completely different tone, however.

no it didn't grow into that, it was never a serious ride, it's always been  campy. Just look at the silly names they give each boat as well as the crazy overhead announcements you hear while in line and all the silly signs in the line.  The opening of the trailer, at least the part with the Rock doing the tour with the full boat is straight from the ride. Those savages 'attacking' his boat as working with him, he's trigger the machine hippo, and he even busts out the 'back side of water' gag. Now I definitely think the movie is going to have some real action but it looks at least at the start we are likely to get some campy fun.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Didn’t it eventually grow into poking fun at itself? Either way, I do agree that it’s charming and a fun ride. This trailer is selling a movie with a completely different tone, however.

I feel like fun and campy is 100% the tone that trailer gave off. 

Looks like they’re going for that Mummy/National Treasure super fun and silly action movie vibe. 

19 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

no it didn't grow into that, it was never a serious ride, it's always been  campy. Just look at the silly names they give each boat as well as the crazy overhead announcements you hear while in line and all the silly signs in the line.  The opening of the trailer, at least the part with the Rock doing the tour with the full boat is straight from the ride. Those savages 'attacking' his boat as working with him, he's trigger the machine hippo, and he even busts out the 'back side of water' gag. Now I definitely think the movie is going to have some real action but it looks at least at the start we are likely to get some campy fun.  

Part of the fun is that the ride feels cheap and small, and this movie is big and expensive. I did like stuff at the begging with Rock scamming tourists. I wish the movie was more like that, honestly.

• 4 months later...

I miss when The Rock used to play actual characters. Now he’s just plays a way-too-likable version of himself. Look at him in Fast Five compared to Hobbs + Shaw. It’s ostensibly the same character but they are totally different because now he’s more focused on the audience to like and look up to him. It’s like every role he plays now is designed to sell his brand rather than do what would work best for that particular story.

This is why I’m begining to think that he’s actually serious about running for president in the near future. It’s like every decision he makes in front of the camera is way too meticulously thought out.

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2020 at 8:57 AM, vaxick said:

Kinda a bummer thinking Disney will more than likely change the ride at Disney World for this film.  I can't imagine many legacy rides are left at this point relatively untouched.  That was always a fun ride as hokey as it was.  

the ride has already been getting a major overhaul over the last year to make it more PC (among other things they took out Trader Sam because he was an offensive stereotype...no more two of his heads for one of yours)

I was just at Disney a couple weeks ago. Ride is still super fun and you don’t even really notice the changes. I know some purists will get all bent outta shape when they inevitably add stuff from the movie but I like when they do stuff like that. Better to alter the rides slightly to keep them fresh than remove them completely like Universal does. I actually really like the Jack Sparrow and Barbosa stuff in Pirates 🤷🏻‍♂️