What have you learned today?

Chris-

This is a thread to discuss what we have learned today (whatever day that may be).

Today while reading the fabulous SPQR by Mary Beard (which I have been woefully slow getting into), I learned about the legend of Romulus and Remus, who were said to have been suckled by a wolf after being left for dead (it's thought that detail may be rooted in the Latin word 'lupa', which means wolf, but was also slang for a prostitute, i.e. they were cared for by a whore). I also learned about Rome's original roots as a city of asylum and the rape of the Sabines (which the Romans needed to grow the city).

1 minute ago, The def star said:

I have learned that Kylie Jenner is worth $900 million!?!! I mean how the fuck is that even possible :badass:

Because her cosmetics company which is the fastest growing cosmetics company in the world is worth $800 million, has no other employees, no capital and she has 100% ownership.

https://www.gofundme.com/let039s-get-kylie-jenner-to-a-billion

Kylie Jenner was on the cover of Forbes Magazine today for having a net worth of 900 million dollars, which is heartbreaking. I don't want to live in a world where Kylie Jenner doesn't have a billion dollars. WE MUST RAISE 100 MILLION DOLLARS TO HELP HER GET TO A BILLION, PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD, THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

$2,024 of $100.0M goal

D1P to the rescue! @SFLUFAN

• Guillotine 1

Often times, things I didn't want to know about Trump.

More positively, I've developed a new approach for online learning of visual representation and memory encoding that is aimed at being much more sample efficient for use on a robot. Technically, I've been developing this idea over the past few days.

Still needs testing. We'll see how it goes.

9 minutes ago, legend said:

Often times, things I didn't want to know about Trump.

More positively, I've developed a new approach for online learning of visual representation and memory encoding that is aimed at being much more sample efficient for use in my programming. Technically, I've been reprogramming myself over the past few days. 

Still needs testing. We'll see how it goes puny humans.

fixed it for you!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

My prediction: Not a brain. They just mean you have a large bundle of neurons responsible for controlling some subsystems.

Article content: "Okay, not a literal brain — more of an autonomous matrix of millions of neurons that can, somehow, control intestinal muscle movements without any help from your central nervous system"

The internet is getting lazy :p 

Not so much today, but over the weekend I started my Teaching English as a Foreign Language course.  20 hours of the basics behind grammar, lesson plans, how to deliver a lesson and classroom management.  Now just 12 modules to complete in the next 5 months and I'll be qualified (with the intention of a) making my teaching application stronger b) give me the chance of helping refugee's/migrants within the UK with their English)