Scorsese on Marvel movies: "That's not cinema" "Theme park ride" EDIT: Coppola says Marvel movies "despicable" "same movie over and over again"

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The man who gave us Jack calling other films despicable is also a take :p

I know that's the go-to joke, but I'm pretty sure the guy who made The Godfather I/II, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now should be respected even if you 100% disagree with what he says and think he made a terrible movie, especially when part of the critique is, "They're all the same movie," and Jack is clearly not the same as The Godfather. :p 

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I know that's the go-to joke, but I'm pretty sure the guy who made The Godfather I/II, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now should be respected even if you 100% disagree with what he says and think he made a terrible movie, especially when part of the critique is, "They're all the same movie," and Jack is clearly not the same as The Godfather. :p 

Yeah Coppola’s best is some of the greatest of all time, there’s no fucking with his body of work.

But a dumb take is a dumb take regardless of where it’s coming from. 

Snobs. 

Ive seen some of their films. You can learn just as much from them as a marvel movie, but Marvel movies are more open to repeat viewings being just as enjoyable. 

I think they’re just jealous they haven’t made one billion dollar grossing movie, nor do kids leave their movies pretending to be characters from the film. 

what’s despicable is two old men not able to accept that Movies can be fun to watch and escape into for a few hours with mass appeal. 

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Snobs. 

Ive seen some of their films. You can learn just as much from them as a marvel movie, but Marvel movies are more open to repeat viewings being just as enjoyable. 

I think they’re just jealous they haven’t made one billion dollar grossing movie, nor do kids leave their movies pretending to be characters from the film. 

what’s despicable is two old men not able to accept that Movies can be fun to watch and escape into for a few hours with mass appeal. 

He honestly should create more characters that are like clowns who amuse you and make you laugh.

24 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

He honestly should create more characters that are like clowns who amuse you and make you laugh.

He could. But honestly he doesn’t have to. He fills a niche in the market that is nice to have. 

it’s just ridiculous anyone takes this as anything other than professional jealousy. 

he still got to make The Irishman, so it’s not like he can’t find studio funding for his projects because everyone will only fund MCU style movies. 

• Sad 1

James Gunn's response is PERFECT   (not just because it reflects my own view ;))

“Many of our grandfathers thought all gangster movies were the same, often calling them ‘despicable’,” wrote Gunn. “Some of our great grandfathers thought the same of westerns and believed the films of John Ford, Sam Peckinpah, and Sergio Leone were all exactly the same.”

“I remember a great uncle to whom I was raving about Star Wars. He responded by saying, ‘I saw that when it was called 2001, and, boy, was it boring!’ Superheroes are simply today’s gangsters/cowboys/outer space adventurers. Some superhero films are awful, some are beautiful. Like westerns and gangster movies (and before that, just MOVIES), not everyone will be able to appreciate them, even some geniuses. And that’s okay. ❤️

The gangster movie thing is the PERFECT dig at both Marty and Francis without being disrespectful :p

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

James Gunn's response is PERFECT   (not just because it reflects my own view ;))

The gangster movie thing is the PERFECT dig at both Marty and Francis without being disrespectful :p

I dunno.  I don't see these as the same thing but I see what Gunn was going for.

I just see no reason for anyone to be tearing anything down.  These can all exist and be enjoyed.  

35 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

He could. But honestly he doesn’t have to. He fills a niche in the market that is nice to have. 

it’s just ridiculous anyone takes this as anything other than professional jealousy. 

he still got to make The Irishman, so it’s not like he can’t find studio funding for his projects because everyone will only fund MCU style movies. 

I really thought my joke was aces :( 

1 minute ago, number305 said:

I dunno.  I don't see these as the same thing but I see what Gunn was going for.

I just see no reason for anyone to be tearing anything down.  These can all exist and be enjoyed.  

totally see it as the same thing... as I wrote before, there was a time where Marty, Francis and the other filmmakers of the 70's were seen as making "low brow" entertainment and were dismissed too. Marty especially. That's what Gunn is talking about... how the previous generation tends to shit on the generation following it especially when that generation is achieving success the previous one could only dream of. It's resentment and its very petty but with the egos involved, these guys just can't help themselves. Especially when it gets harder for them to make the films they want because of the shift in focus from by the studios and audiences. 

Old people shit on the work of and don’t appreciate the work of young people, saying it’s less than, that it’s lousy, that it’s not art. Then those young people become old people and do the same fucking thing without a shred of irony. Insert whatever you want into “art,” including movies as a concept to begin with. 

it’s the ciiiiiiiircle... the circle of liiiiiiiiife

• Thanks 1

While I don’t think there is any reason to think the movie going public has superhero fatigue, I personally do. I’m not excited as a viewer about anything coming out except for Batman, because I trust Reeves as a filmmaker to elevate beyond what we’ve been getting the last decade.

I don’t fault Feige and co for mining the depths of what they discovered, but I hope as a fan to see them move beyond the current formula.

I can get feeling a bit fatigued. Especially after the build up and roller coaster of infinity war and End Game and then realizing it had been 10 years and 22 movies. 

I do wonder when we will see a Disney supporter Marvel movie similar to Logan or Joker. More serious, almost art house style films that would be great movies even without non-licenses characters. 

I feel these movies have helped break up formula of MCU movies. Though you don’t leave them feeling joy and hoping a friend invites you to see it again. They are “heavier” movies. 

25 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

20+ movies in the MCU and they’ve had little to no cultural impact. 

Not true... Black Panther has had a significant cultural impact amongst Black people not to mention the fact that The Marvel movies have arguably carried the box office for the last couple of years spawning every studio out there to attempt the shared universe model. But I digress.

42 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not true... Black Panther has had a significant cultural impact amongst Black people not to mention the fact that The Marvel movies have arguably carried the box office for the last couple of years spawning every studio out there to attempt the shared universe model. But I digress.

Captain Marvel and Black Panther were both huge cultural movements actually (BP more so for sure). Both were still fun, but forgettable films, though.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Captain Marvel and Black Panther were both huge cultural movements actually (BP more so for sure). Both were still fun, but forgettable films, though.

I would say Wonder Woman had more of an impact than Captain Marvel. Black Panther may be forgettable for you and some of the other posters here, it wasn't for a lot of people.  I know folks who LOVE that movie... folks who don't care about comic book movies or superhero movies at all :shrug:

The opinion of the quality films wasn't what I was disputing... to say that they didn't have a "cultural impact" is demonstrably wrong.

Not sure how exactly cultural impacts is measured, but I feel like it’s something we see primarily in retrospect. The MCU as a whole has changed the calculus of what you need to do to be considered successful, both financially and artistically today.

How long that effect lasts is impossible to know, but the longer that Marvel sustains what it is doing the more future filmmakers will be influenced and the longer that legacy lasts.

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I would say Wonder Woman had more of an impact than Captain Marvel. Black Panther may be forgettable for you and some of the other posters here, it wasn't for a lot of people.  I know folks who LOVE that movie... folks who don't care about comic book movies or superhero movies at all :shrug:

The opinion of the quality films wasn't what I was disputing... to say that they didn't have a "cultural impact" is demonstrably wrong.

I was trying to somehow explain that the movie was a huge deal, but still fell into the Marvel trap. Kind of hard for me to articulate this exactly. 

Old white people are also the reason Donald Trump was elected President.

I mean, from all my experiences most old people are pretty fucking stupid and somehow forget the obvious lessons they learned when they were young about their old people. The cognitive dissonance is astonishing. I genuinely believe if everyone over 60 dies right now we'd probably be better overall big picture wise. :p 

Wait until James Gunn in 40 years shits on some movie that's just snippets of Instagram stories or something because it's not "how a movie is put together" or something. I don't know how people keep forgetting this lesson. Coppola and Scorsese obviously did.

• Thanks 1

I think there is certainly room to discuss whether or not something is simply different from what came before, or better/worse.

As an example, there are only a handful of songwriters who pen the lyrics to almost every pop song today. That’s a big reason they all sound the same. I would say that is an issue that makes pop music today qualitatively worse than even 20 years ago.

Similarly, we are entering a time in which 50-60% of the theatrical market will be owned by like...6 producers at Disney. The homogenization of film is a negative for culture. Fortunately though, we have new outlets for truly interesting filmmaking, but the theatrical experience continues its march towards pure spectacle.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

totally see it as the same thing... as I wrote before, there was a time where Marty, Francis and the other filmmakers of the 70's were seen as making "low brow" entertainment and were dismissed too. Marty especially. That's what Gunn is talking about... how the previous generation tends to shit on the generation following it especially when that generation is achieving success the previous one could only dream of. It's resentment and its very petty but with the egos involved, these guys just can't help themselves. Especially when it gets harder for them to make the films they want because of the shift in focus from by the studios and audiences. 

I'm not arguing. They all were not universally appreciated in their time. Just for very different reasons. I think the reason marvel is getting greif is because they are aimed at younger audiences and can be mindless at times. Those were never labels held against mafia movies. So the reasons are different... That's all I meant. 

I happen to like all three types. My favorite movie is Outlaw Josie Wales, I love all the marvel movies (mostly) and I can't wait for the Irishman (just finished the book it's based on - highly recommended) 

43 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

only among children

Jesus lol. So, because it didn't impact you culturally , it only impacted children? Like, this is some dumb fucking shit. How many of those kids will go out this Halloween as a superhero? How many future generations will sit down their children and make them watch these movie? Like, what do you even mean by "cultural impact"?  People quote these movies all the time. Memes are constantly made from them. There are more people wearing superhero shirts than ever before. People are collecting all kinds of shit related to the Marvel Cinematic universe.