Help me choose which Zelda game to play

ShreddieMercury

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

As cool as the motion controls in SS were, I really hope there is a remake without them. We got 4 trigger buttons now, just map a few different attack directions and make enemy patterns match what directions you have and call it a day. Or just get rid of them all together for all I care. I don't really have a desire to play thru SS again if I have to use motion controls. It was fine for one play thru but I'll never played it a second time because of them. 

Also, make Link left handed again please. It is very important to me. 

Dumbing down SS’s combat wouldn’t make the game better.  It was built around 10 attack directions, thrust included.

I’d rather see the motion controls improved instead of dropped.

28 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Dumbing down SS’s combat wouldn’t make the game better.  It was built around 10 attack directions, thrust included.

I’d rather see the motion controls improved instead of dropped.

I mean, it would make the game better for me. No motion controls will ever be better than just using a controller. I don't want motion controls. The game won't be worse without them, that is for sure. 

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

I mean, it would make the game better for me. No motion controls will ever be better than just using a controller. I don't want motion controls. The game won't be worse without them, that is for sure. 

If they can find a way to make combat as engaging without that combat system, then sure.  I’m open to other options.  Until then, it’s the best 3D Zelda combat has ever been.  Objectively speaking, there’s more to it, and it’s my opinion it was more enjoyable as a result.  Some of those bosses and mini bosses especially felt like Nintendo woke up to how stagnant Zelda combat had gotten by WW/TP.  With motion, they found a spark of creativity.

There’s things I preferred about SS’s progression to other Zeldas too.  For example, items you upgraded got greater utility in their functionality, not just stat and resistance boosts. That’s something I’d love to see expanded on in BotW2 perhaps.

I appreciate all of the discussion and advice.  I should clarify that at this point I do have more than a passing interest, because I can finally see what's so special about the series.  I count BotW as one of the best games I've ever played on any system, but it wasn't until I played Link's awakening that I started to understand how incredibly designed and beautiful these games are.  I do plan on playing all of the ones that I listed, and I was more curious about what people thought might be a good entry point given that the only games I've played through earnestly are the two newest releases.

I think I might start with Ocarina of Time because it's just a massive blind spot in my gaming history that I feel needs correcting.  I can play bits and pieces of Link to the Past on my Switch without too much hassle as well, but Ocarina feels like an event for me.  Does anybody happen to have the version released on the Wii U eshop?  I'm debating whether or not to play on N64 or to get the eshop version and didn't know if there was an advantage either way.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I've been playing links awakening and it's been a frustrating blast! I played most Zeldas and oot is still the best.

I tried my best not to use a guide, but ended up having to look up a few things.  In hindsight, there are a few puzzles that I honestly don't know if I would have figured out had I not looked them up.  I kept thinking that the game was pushing me to do one thing, and it turned out I was totally off base.  It's a testament to how much information modern games give you, and how much more experimentation and patience was required in old adventure games.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:37 AM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

While always being aware of the series and playing bits and pieces of different games, Breath of the Wild is the first Zelda game that I experienced in its entirety.  I recently also finished Link's Awakening, and I really enjoyed it as well (some confusion about certain puzzles notwithstanding).  I now feel like I have a pretty good handle on the language of these games, and would love to play some of the other entries.  Here are the other Zelda games that I have:

Link to the Past (SNES Classic/Switch)

Ocarina of Time (N64)

Wind Waker HD (Wii U)

Twilight Princess HD (Wii U)

Skyward Sword (Wii)

Where should I start?  I've played a good portion of Wind Waker several years ago and really liked it, but dropped it for something else at the time.  Is there a game that I should play first to acclimate me to the others?

I think a question that hasn't been asked is what are you looking to play? While all of the games share similar aspects are there things you don't like or prefer? Like top down or third person view, graphics that age well vs remasters vs HD upres, motion controls (skyward sword) traditional (OoT, WW, MM, TP) simplified (ALttP). I hate to use simplified, but it was all if could come up with off the top of my head.

Identifying a couple of these might lock down a better choice for you.

9 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I appreciate all of the discussion and advice.  I should clarify that at this point I do have more than a passing interest, because I can finally see what's so special about the series.  I count BotW as one of the best games I've ever played on any system, but it wasn't until I played Link's awakening that I started to understand how incredibly designed and beautiful these games are.  I do plan on playing all of the ones that I listed, and I was more curious about what people thought might be a good entry point given that the only games I've played through earnestly are the two newest releases.

I think I might start with Ocarina of Time because it's just a massive blind spot in my gaming history that I feel needs correcting.  I can play bits and pieces of Link to the Past on my Switch without too much hassle as well, but Ocarina feels like an event for me.  Does anybody happen to have the version released on the Wii U eshop?  I'm debating whether or not to play on N64 or to get the eshop version and didn't know if there was an advantage either way.

I tried my best not to use a guide, but ended up having to look up a few things.  In hindsight, there are a few puzzles that I honestly don't know if I would have figured out had I not looked them up.  I kept thinking that the game was pushing me to do one thing, and it turned out I was totally off base.  It's a testament to how much information modern games give you, and how much more experimentation and patience was required in old adventure games.

BotW is very different from the rest of the series. I feel like I should mention that and I'm sure you are aware, but even in a game that has a roughly open world experience (wind waker) its still very linear in its design. 

Ocarina of Time would be my choice with Wind Waker in second. TP has probably aged the worst IMO, but is still a fine game.

I'd recommend finding access to a 3DS though as its a pretty faithful remaster (video detailing remaster) and he sums up perfectly why I'd start with OoT.

No game has managed to be as consistently good at everything across the board. As the games got bigger the worlds got emptier (WW), the pacing became less consistent (TP), and the games struggled to find ways to stand out from Ocarina of Time while using the same formula(SS). They're all exceptionally good, but Ocarina of time is still the best execution of that formula.

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

Identifying a couple of these might lock down a better choice for you.

BotW is very different from the rest of the series. I feel like I should mention that and I'm sure you are aware, but even in a game that has a roughly open world experience (wind waker) its still very linear in its design.

Wind Waker's linearity isn't the rub for someone who enjoyed BoTW first, I'd think.  It's that the structure and rules of that world aren't nearly as engaging.  The linear bits ensure that sailing doesn't overstay its welcome.