NFL Week 5 - Khalil Mack Revenge Game

Keyser_Soze

There is nothing like a couple of big upset wins to get you excited about your team, and start getting (probably) unrealistic expectations about your team making the playoffs.  I looked at the Raiders remaining schedule, and saw that 7 of their remaining 11 games are against teams that currently have sub-500 records (Chargers x2, Jets, Bengals, Titans, Jags, Broncos) -- I thought "Wow, they may actually have a shot at getting a wildcard spot".   They have a real shot of winning 8-10 games (I recognize everything else I am about to say probably puts too much stock in the first 5 weeks of the season, and injuries, etc. can make a big impact on this).

Next I looked at who else has a shot at a wildcard:

Buffalo (currently 4-1):  Their remaining games include: Dolphins x2, Jets, Redskins, Broncos, Steelers who have a combined 2 wins among them!  They could be VERY mediocre and still win 10-12 games.

Browns (Currently 2-2):  Their remaining games include: Steelers x2, Bengals x2, Dolphins, Cardinals.  They could easily win 9-10 games -- with potential upside.

If the Steelers/Bengals/Dolphins/Jets are really as bad as they look through week 5, it gives a huge advantage to the better teams in the AFC East/North in terms of getting a shot at the Wild Card -- they each play a total of 6 of their games against these terrible teams.  I don't recall a season with so many teams that appear to be this bad v(Bengals, Steelers, Dolphins, Jets, Cardinals, Redskins, Broncos).  I think there is a real possibility of a 10-win team missing out on a Wild Card spot this year.