Stranger Things 4 out now

17 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I enjoyed 3 a lot but 4 needs to  be the last one, or else this franchise is going to get redundant quick.

Yeah I agree. I felt like the demogorgons rising up again in series 3 was almost to the point of being a tiresome, but there was enough good things going on to keep it enjoyable. I sort of wish 3 was the end though.

It was incredibly predictable, but what annoys me is that the reveal could have been an emotionally satisfying moment in the show instead of being relegated to a throwaway teaser. I don't know, season three was definitely an improvement on season two but damn has this show just been chasing its tail the entire time.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't remember any clues, but I definitely could have missed them. If it was predictable, that makes it worse. :p 

I'm not marking it as a spoiler since if you're in this thread you better have damn well watched Season 3 already, but...

Yeah there were no explodey bits where Hopper was standing, and they made a concerted effort to show everyone else turn into giblets when they got hit with the energy. And then the epilogue part makes mention of an American in custody.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I'm not marking it as a spoiler since if you're in this thread you better have damn well watched Season 3 already, but...

Yeah there were no explodey bits where Hopper was standing, and they made a concerted effort to show everyone else turn into giblets when they got hit with the energy. And then the epilogue part makes mention of an American in custody.

Well, given what happened to him, it's hard to fathom so . . . lame. :p 

On 2/16/2020 at 12:09 AM, johnny said:

I thought his end plus the letter he wrote to Eleven was a great send off. This is disappointing. 

The letter scene is one of the most beautiful moments in the entire series and the way it is used in season three is completely undermined by Hop being right back in season 4.

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The letter scene is one of the most beautiful moments in the entire series and the way it is used in season three is completely undermined by Hop being right back in season 4.

They already said he was alive in season 3.  When the Russian guards are picking out who they were going to sacrifice to the monster they stop at a cell door and one of the guards says 'no not the american'.  This can be no one but Hopper.

I can understand not liking it.  It is kinda like 'hey chewie is dead wink wink'.  But if you watched through the epilogue you had to already know this.

4 hours ago, number305 said:

They already said he was alive in season 3.  When the Russian guards are picking out who they were going to sacrifice to the monster they stop at a cell door and one of the guards says 'no not the american'.  This can be no one but Hopper.

I can understand not liking it.  It is kinda like 'hey chewie is dead wink wink'.  But if you watched through the epilogue you had to already know this.

The decision itself to have Hop back for season 4 is the issue, not how they foreshadowed it. 

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The decision itself to have Hop back for season 4 is the issue, not how they foreshadowed it. 

Okay I guess.

I am struggling to see much of a difference.  Foreshadowing that your biggest star is still alive and having him present in the next season are kind of the same thing.  Seems to me that decision was made when the epilogue aired.  

Just now, number305 said:

Okay I guess.

I am struggling to see much of a difference.  Foreshadowing that your biggest star is still alive and having him present in the next season are kind of the same thing.  Seems to me that decision was made when the epilogue aired.  

My post has literally nothing to do with when the decision was made. The only thing I said was that having Hop back in season 4 undermines the letter scene. They could have planned that back when they started putting together the overall arc of the series and it still undermines the letter scene. You are right that they are the same thing, we don’t disagree so I’m not sure why you are making this point :p 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

My post has literally nothing to do with when the decision was made. The only thing I said was that having Hop back in season 4 undermines the letter scene. They could have planned that back when they started putting together the overall arc of the series and it still undermines the letter scene. You are right that they are the same thing, we don’t disagree so I’m not sure why you are making this point :p 

Because communication is hard.  I see what you mean.  I wasn't getting your point.

I do think having him back will be important to the story they want to tell - but I agree that they sold it too hard that he was dead.  Very Chewie like.

3 minutes ago, number305 said:

Because communication is hard.  I see what you mean.  I wasn't getting your point.

I do think having him back will be important to the story they want to tell - but I agree that they sold it too hard that he was dead.  Very Chewie like.

Indeed, my friend!

Character deaths can be really effective, and Hop’s death and the letter scene were very emotionally powerful. The Chewie comparison is apt! It was one of the best moments in that film and then immediately it was “JK, a rando other ship got blowed up. LOL”