The wrestling thread: the “Paul Levesque Era” begins… without the sex-trafficking degenerate POS, Vinny Mac!

New set on Raw tonight, Smackdown moves to Fridays on Fox, AEW Dynamite premiers on Wednesday. WWE is supposedly going all out on their shows this week, and I’m expecting huge things from AEWs first show on TNT. Also, THE RETURN OF PYRO!!! The wrestling wars are back.

:sun:

• Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to AEW on Wednesday, but that's just cuz it's a new show. If they really want to start off their program with a bang, Jericho needs to lose the title on that show and a few big names need to surprise us all with an appearance. Otherwise, WWE has brought the wrestling bar so down that AEW will just look like a weak imitation =/

Couldn't help but wonder if, like back at Mania, people had bought seats that were then having the vision blocked by that new set?

Anyways, this is perhaps THE MOST EXCITING WEEK OF WRESTLING IN 20+ YEARS! I'm completely reinvigorated by all of pro-wrestling and I'm salivating for tomorrow night!

What time is AEW on? Shit Raw was here in Phoenix, I should have went if I knew it was going to be any kind of special. I should check out AEW, I really enjoyed TNA before it went to complete shit. Wait, is NXT on USA this week too? Is it on at the same time as AEW?

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

What time is AEW on? Shit Raw was here in Phoenix, I should have went if I knew it was going to be any kind of special. I should check out AEW, I really enjoyed TNA before it went to complete shit. Wait, is NXT on USA this week too? Is it on at the same time as AEW?

8-10pm on TNT iirc. There’s also a replay that airs immediately after.

I just saw this write up for AEW on Gerweck, and it's pretty underwhelming imo... Your first show out the gate with wrestlers that common households don't know by name, and your main event is a 3v3? I really hope storylines are gonna be made tomorrow night and that these matches actually go somewhere. Cuz right now, this is no different than a WWE show at a glance

On tonight’s Countdown to All Elite Wrestling Dynamite special on TNT, it was revealed that Chris Jericho’s partners for the debut episode of Wednesday Night Dynamite will be Santana and Ortiz.

The trio will take on the team of Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks in the main event.

The rest of the announced card is:

Adam Page vs. PAC

Brandon Cutler vs. MJF

Cody vs. Sammy Guevara

Singles Match to crown the inaugural AEW Women’s World Champion:
Nyla Rose vs. Riho

12 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, did Vince recently learn the meaning of the word “cuck” or something? There’s two friggen storylines now, and both are terrible.

And then there's also rumors that John Morrison re-signed with WWE. ;)

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

There's an AEW special "Countdown to Dynamite" on TNT right now. It seems to be mostly interviews talking about why/how it was created. Cody and Dustin were both very hard on WWE regarding how they tie your hands creatively and limit what you can do.

Oooo, hope they post that video.

9 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I just saw this write up for AEW on Gerweck, and it's pretty underwhelming imo... Your first show out the gate with wrestlers that common households don't know by name, and your main event is a 3v3? I really hope storylines are gonna be made tomorrow night and that these matches actually go somewhere. Cuz right now, this is no different than a WWE show at a glance

They want to introduce these wrestlers to people that have never heard of them before that is kind of the point, especially with the main event.

I guarantee they give MJF the mic at some point because he is impossibly good at being an asshole heel for only having a few years in the business, fans might not know him now but they will very soon. 

41 minutes ago, elbobo said:

They want to introduce these wrestlers to people that have never heard of them before that is kind of the point, especially with the main event.

I guarantee they give MJF the mic at some point because he is impossibly good at being an asshole heel for only having a few years in the business, fans might not know him now but they will very soon. 

This. It would be a huge mistake to go the TNA route and focus on old WWE talent 

Bucks are not well known to a general US audience but after they do a couple matches people are going to be blown away.

Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus are going to be stars.

Orange Cassidy could get a following, he is unquestionably a comedy gimmick character but he is actually very skilled, he is the one I am most interested in seeing what they do with.

Hangman Page, I am not sold on him being the guy but he is fine mid-carder. 

Dark Order is not good in their current situation but creative management knows it so hopefully they can figure it out.

The women's roster outside their joshi women is probably the weakest part of the company. 

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, did Vince recently learn the meaning of the word “cuck” or something? There’s two friggen storylines now, and both are terrible.

I figured it out! Vince is going to put Rusev and Kanellis together as a tag-team called “The Young Cucks”!

• Haha 1

I just finished both shows, and while AEW was the winner in my eyes, they only won the night because they're new while NXT had the better overall show when still using Vince's boring WWE formula (storylines, announcer terms, camera angles, etc).

The AEW company has no destination, and they did nothing to make fans want to come back for future shows. The world champion was hidden in a 3-way tag match, the random other matches didn't establish anyone in any kind of pecking order on the roster other than PAC (no one else came off as being in the World title scene, being in the IC scene, being jobbers, etc). And while they still put on an entertaining show, they're already showing signs of a staleness that really needs to be addressed before they go on too long without fixing them (the same entrance stage they've been using for their ppv's was here, and a lot of theme songs sound very low rent and non-dynamic). The absolute worst thing that happened on AEW's show (and NXT) were the f'n commercials! Playing nine commercials back-to-back in a row in a windowbox while multiple matches were going on in a smaller, muted window was absolutely the worst. And they would play at the most horrific possible times - when the champ is attacking Cody, when the first women's title match is happening, and a third time that I can't recall atm... And I haven't watched a full NXT show for a while, but I was shocked they did the exact same thing with their commercials, and they did it more times during their show! Forcing fans to have to watch these commercials while a match is happening in the background is one thing. But playing NINE commercials in a row, with their audio up and the wrestling audio down, with the commercials being in a large window while the wrestling was in a small window, was atrocious. The commercials need to change for both shows. Period.

So, AEW's "new show shine" will eventually fade, and they can't rely on long matches with little to no promo's as their only difference compared to Vince. They've gotta get a lot of storylines out their asap to get fans excited to see the next show - and they just didn't do much building tonight at all. But, on the positive side, AEW officially has THE BEST announce team in wrestling. JR can still go, Excalibur is tremendous at doing play-by-play, and hearing Tony Shiavone's voice again made me giddier than a school girl at prom. The three of them all meshed really well with each other, and there were no bs comments that had nothing to do with what they were watching mentioned. They were allowed to riff off the top of their heads without someone (Vince) telling them what to say, and they didn't sound fake. Conversely, NXT's Beth Phoenix has a terrible presence behind the mic, and Desmond Wolfe still sounds uncomfortable. If there's one thing AEW has that Vince does not, it's a fantastic announce team.

I'm still excited to watch AEW, but they gotta give me a reason to be excited, and soon.

Jack Swagger, Jack fucking Swagger? So this is my first exposure to AEW and yeah it seems like WWE retreads I didn't give a shit about back then are the focus of the show. Who is the top face of the company? I assume it's Kenny Omega, but last night was all heels, all the time. 

I'll give so more chances but so far it already looks like the very worst of TNA (shit retreads no one cares about, though TNA did have periods of pushing "vanilla midgets" who never would have had a chance in WWE). The reason I watched TNA, NXT, and want to watch AEW is because I want to see guys like Christian Cage or Samoa Joe be the top guy in the company. Or guys like Adam Cole, Tomasso Ciampa and Johnny Gorgano steal the show when if they were ever on the WWE main roster they would be lucky to be 2 month Smackdown Midcard champs. 

Also, it was only 1 match and promo but MJF seems like generic boring asshole heel to me. 

Highlight of the show was easily the womens match, though the first match was decent as well. 

Neville needs a better name than Pac, what the fuck is that anyway? Also it seems he's actually somehow devolved as a wrestler since NXT where his matches are a bunch of boring shit, then crazy top rope spin splash finisher. 

Overall, I was pretty disappointed in what I saw. I hope it gets better.