How the CPU cheated you in Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2

SaysWho?

I knew that Mortal Kombat II was cheap as all hell because the AI seemed to know what I was doing before I did, but pinpointing why/how it did what it did was pretty interesting to watch. 5:09 in the MK2 video made me LOL, as did the Kintaro stuff.

Some of this I knew; some of it I just needed an explanation because I figured something was way off. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I didn't know that the AI could hit through a block. I guess that was happening to me and I don't remember.

I had always kind of assumed it was a MKII thing and that the CPU was putting in frame perfect counters. I should have known better given the Flash Kick bullshit.

MKII was always on another level, I didn't know how far down the rabbit hole its nonsense went until that video. lawd

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I had always kind of assumed it was a MKII thing and that the CPU was putting in frame perfect counters. I should have known better given the Flash Kick bullshit.

MKII was always on another level, I didn't know how far down the rabbit hole its nonsense went until that video. lawd

I bought the trilogy on PSN a few years back during a sale. I could beat MKI and MKIII, but I could not beat MKII on Very fucking Easy.

I thought for a while, "Ya know, maybe you just sucked as a kid. Despite how often you had to try to win the tournament even once, you can probably beat it as an adult."

So I go into MKI on Normal, died a few times, but I eventually won. Okay, so lemme start MKII on Very Easy.

1st fight: Hey, it's a bit of a challenge, but I'm managing.

2nd fight: Okay, okay, I got this.

3rd fight and beyond: Fuck y'all motherfuckers

They were countering me with crazy precision that I was frightened to even try Easy, never mind normal or anything above it.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I haven’t watched the video but I’m sure it mentions reading your inputs. 

This is generally why playing against the AI for practice is bad because you have to use cheese strats on the computer to beat them. When you play against a human it’s totally different.

It's why I got my ass kicked playing Street Fighter II on the 360. I was fucking nuts on the computer and against my friends, but Hadouken Hadouken Hadouken Hadouken Hadouken Hadouken, uppercut if they jump at you doesn't work against any decent player. :p 

I ended up becoming very good with Blanka online, someone I could never master versus the computer.

For MKII, some claim it's the easiest because in less than a half hour, you can watch how the AI works and use its strats against it. That ain't easy for me; I just want to use the skills I have. :p 

I managed to beat The World Warriors without continuing on the hardest difficulty on SNES (also did it without getting hit but that was with a Game Genie code to hit from anywhere and a turbo controller using a character with a fast jab) but other than friends and family I don't think I won a single match against people in arcades (though I didn't play against other people in arcades often). I never beat the AI in arcades, made it to Bison (probably on Championship Edition) and didn't have much trouble getting there but couldn't quite beat him before running out of quarters. I did I have blocking issues even against human players on SNES and as a result SFII was probably the first game I raged at.

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you're into this you should watch more Maximilian Dood. He does playthroughs of a lot of fighting games on hard and manages to beat them but still can point out how it's exploiting him. Plus they are funny!

Oh man, THAT version of Street Fighter! I may check this out later for the cheating AI shit.

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I had thought the AI always cheated in older games (fighters, strategy games, etc.)-- given the limitations of CPU power and memory to write the AI, I always thought they had to be that way.

Yes, I think AI to this day is way harder than graphical capabilities. The way it was explained to me years ago (dunno if it's still a good explanation) was that it was this century that a computer could finally beat the world champion chess player, and that's actually simpler AI where each piece can only move so many ways on an 8X8 grid, and to think of each square as a pixel or spot on a map in a game and how difficult it would be to map all of that.

12 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I have to show my mom this video. 

"Hey mom, remember like, 25 years ago when you whupped my ass for breaking my controller, and i told you the game was cheating? I WAS FUCKING RIGHT."

Your mom's gonna whoop your ass again and call you a bitch for holding a grudge against a video game, just make HER play it instead!

I think the obvious reason these games 'cheated' was because they were first Arcade games.  All arcade games cheat - their first priority was to get more quarters from you.  That was the reason for much of the NES difficulty back in the day.  Many of those games had their origins in the arcades, or were at least coming from the same mentality.  There is no reason to make every game at home brutally difficult - so over time game designers learned to ease off.  

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you're into this you should watch more Maximilian Dood. He does playthroughs of a lot of fighting games on hard and manages to beat them but still can point out how it's exploiting him. Plus they are funny!

Just watched it. I actually thought it'd be more like this:

Which is a REALLY good tutorial.

5 hours ago, number305 said:

I think the obvious reason these games 'cheated' was because they were first Arcade games.  All arcade games cheat - their first priority was to get more quarters from you.  That was the reason for much of the NES difficulty back in the day.  Many of those games had their origins in the arcades, or were at least coming from the same mentality.  There is no reason to make every game at home brutally difficult - so over time game designers learned to ease off.  

While that’s probably the reason for some games, I think a big part was just how short the games would otherwise be. I played through Shadow Dancer on the switch genesis collection using the rewind function a few days ago and it took me about a half hour. And that’s only because it was STILL hard using the rewind function. If you spent $60 back then and went home and were done with the game in a half hour or less, you would be pretty disappointed. The difficulty made it feel like you got more of your money’s worth.

Also, I seriously have no fucking idea how you are supposed to beat Shadow Dancer without the rewind function.

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I never said they were tutorials.

Not a tutorial, but Kenny does showcase an exploit on how to beat the CPU in this one. :p

I'm watching that and his World Warrior one. Okay, I like these!

Also, it was cool seeing him again because I don't follow a lot of these people, but I remember his great video of his disappointment over the PSX 2014 FF7 announcement. He has some good stuff here; he doesn't seem to have an annoying shtick as many others do.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

He has some good stuff here; he doesn't seem to have an annoying shtick as many others do.

Yeah he's pretty genuine. All around great guy.

I actually stumbled upon him when someone gave me a copy of Killer Instinct for Xbox One. He makes assist me videos and that was one of them, so sometimes he plays for fun sometimes for info, others just to give his opinion. Lots of content.

Speaking of FF7 he's very excited for the remake and he's even been streaming a replay of 7 (which he's done before but he's doing it again because he enjoys it so much!)

• Like 1

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah he's pretty genuine. All around great guy.

I actually stumbled upon him when someone gave me a copy of Killer Instinct for Xbox One. He makes assist me videos and that was one of them, so sometimes he plays for fun sometimes for info, others just to give his opinion. Lots of content.

Speaking of FF7 he's very excited for the remake and he's even been streaming a replay of 7 (which he's done before but he's doing it again because he enjoys it so much!)

I saw the video after E3 2015 when he finally got his wish. Pretty exciting.

Thanks for sharing this!

• Like 1