Diamler-Mercedes to cease internal combustion engine development, focus on electric

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's gotta be less than a decade though, right? They can still ride off what they have but eventually everything becomes obsolete. 

An engine design could last two decades or more. For example, Ford’s small block v8 engine family was produced for nearly 40 years and the modular v8 that started to replace it in 1991 is still built. 

I’d say this announcement means that Daimler thinks that we’re within 30 years of internal combustion engines being almost entirely phased out. 

16 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Electric cars are pretty impractical right now for anyone who doesn’t own a garage.  Charging will have to be built out a hell of a lot more.

A real shame Mercedes focuses on the average middle class apartment dweller, then. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

It's gotta be less than a decade though, right? They can still ride off what they have but eventually everything becomes obsolete. 

In 2017 Volvo said they would go all electric by 2019, so it doesn't take too long

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/media/pressreleases/210058/volvo-cars-to-go-all-electric

This is great news.  I'm really excited to see what manufacturers offer in terms of trucks.  I would love an all-electric truck.   I bought a F-150 a few months ago. All in all, it's pretty efficient for having a 400 horsepower V8 - I got 23 mpg on a recent trip to and from California.  But I wouldn't mind getting an electric version in 5 or so years. 

2 hours ago, finaljedi said:

Electric cars are pretty impractical right now for anyone who doesn’t own a garage.  Charging will have to be built out a hell of a lot more.

I think auto manufacturers should buy old gas stations and convert them to fast electric charging stations with Cafes, Barbers, and a little Market so people can run basic errands while they wait. Maybe even have a hand wash option to have your car cleaned as it's changed. Throw in a burrito place and a sandwich deli counter. 

• Like 1